PDA

View Full Version : shameface crab questions

joejoe1055
05/08/2006, 08:24 PM
for some strange reason i've always liked shamefaced crabs
my friend got 2 in and i was wondering what type and size set-up i should have. i know they are not reef safe.
any ideas?

kmk2307
05/09/2006, 06:54 AM
joejoe,

I don't think they are known for being very active but they are predatory and should be fed meat. You need a big enough tank to deal with a large amount of nutrient input. A big skimmer would probably be handy. I don't know how large these crabs are fully grown but we have some in our preserved specimen collection that are about 6" wide (carapace). I wouldn't go smaller than a 55 and you should plan to have them for a long time.

Kevin

coralnut99
05/10/2006, 10:23 AM
The LFS I frequent had one that looked to be over four inches across at the carapace. As a predatory species that's a lot of crab to plan a tank around, and as KMK2307 pointed out, these guys don't move much.

gussy
05/15/2006, 03:28 PM
I had shamefaced crabs for a while. I've kept them in 10 to 20 galloon tanks. What I've found out is that although most books says that they can co-exist with other "large crustaceans". The reality is that you can only keep them with other crabs. The one who molts first will get eaten. I've kept serveral species in different combination and sometimes with large hermit like dardanus megisto but at the end of the day...there can only be one. However, the damsels and the brittle stars have never been touched.

gussy
05/15/2006, 03:30 PM
Oh...and you have to manually feed it frozen cubes using a stick or drop in a few manila clams (too messy). The more expensive but interesting way is to keep on adding Astrea snails.

joejoe1055
05/17/2006, 08:37 PM
thanks for all the info
i'll have to wait to get them now
the female is carrying eggs!
going to let them do there thing for now

ACBlinky
05/17/2006, 09:04 PM
You're not the only one who finds them appealing, I've always wanted one. If they stayed smaller, I would keep one - seems strange to say about a crab, but I think they're really cute :D