PDA

View Full Version : A modest invitation to see my tank pics

kennerd
05/02/2002, 03:47 PM
Definitely not to toot my own horn, but I figured you could all see pictures of one of my nano tanks at the following link. The folks in the nano reef forum voted my 12 gallon as May's Nano Tank of the Month:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=83630

Now that I finally have some nice pictures, I'll have to photo the other tanks & get them posted @ the NJReefersclub homepage!

Ken

gmh320
05/02/2002, 03:56 PM
Ken,
Beautiful looking tank, one question though, what do you do when the corals get to big? Those leathers and frogspawn are going to get huge.
Greg

bahrhoops
05/02/2002, 04:42 PM
Nice Ken,
looks like your blasto's are still doing great !
good job - steve

kennerd
05/03/2002, 07:11 AM
gmh320: Not a real problem for a few reasons:

1. I currently have 4 nano tanks, so I can frag for myself.
2. I am planning a larger tank now, which is most likely where the leathers, etc. will be going anyway.
3. Currently a member of a reef club, so I can frag for all of you guys.

In fact, the frogspawn was probably the TINIEST frag I have ever seen: single head, stalk was thinner than a pencil, and the head couldn't have opened to larger than a peanut M&M. That was a year ago: now it has split into two heads. Same deal with the hammer.

Steve: your GSP are in the upper right corner, ans are doing fine as well!

katspaw
05/03/2002, 07:24 AM
Ken,
Beautiful tank, what a great job you have done with such a small system. Congradualtions on the Nana of the Month. Oh By the way, I know you like the ricordia mushrooms, I have some red ones , one moved then split, so there are three on a small rock now. I was thinking of you when this happened, but don't know if you would want them or have the room. If you do want them, let me know and I will bring them to the meeting at your place.

Tracey

kennerd
05/03/2002, 07:32 AM
Perfect! That would be fine. I've got some room in my 7 gal cube. Is it ricordia florida or yuma?

I'll swap you for one of my ricordia florida frags. I have some really nice neon greens.

Ken

katspaw
05/03/2002, 08:56 AM
To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I have a mushroom rock that is covered in many different types of mushrooms, With only one of the red ricordia, and one green ricordia. The green split but the two stayed on the same rock, the red one just split after being in my tank for over two years about three/ four weeks ago. Being that I keep more of a LPS and SPS tank, I don't know all of the different names on the mushroom types out there. Someone told me that these two were ricordia. I have a third type that I gave a frag to Preston. I am thinking that he said he gave you a frag from his. If not and you want a one, it has a green base with white/beige tentacles. This one gets very large ( four to five inches across ) and multiplies more than any of my other mushrooms. I started with one that came on my live rock years ago, now I have this type of mushroom in four different places in the tank. It doesn't like to stay with it's group, so the babies move to different locations, like an anemone. Let me know if you would like one of these also.

Tracey

kennerd
05/03/2002, 09:44 AM
The beige one was in your old 90, right? I seem to recall that feller, and he'd definitely be too large.

Only things I got from Preston were a hammer frag that died within a day (brown jelly) and a purple photosynthetic gorgonian. I've tried to get back in touch with him a few times since you sent me his email again, but have never gotten a response. I gave him an orange monti, two tri-color acros frags, and was curious how they were doing.

Anyhoo....the ricordia florida have more rounded tentacles shaped like gumballs, like this one:

Either way, I'm in! Really looking forward to having everyone up here. Maybe you cuold shoot Preston an email about that meeting, given that he works only a few miles from me, and doesn't live much further away.

K

katspaw
05/03/2002, 11:01 AM
My looks like that some what, only the tentacles are pointed at the tips, and fat at the base. It is all red in color with just a touch of white on the tip of the tentacles on the outer edge. Like I said I have three of them on a small rock, and they are yours for the taking. :)
I figured the green base would be large for your nana's, but still a cool mushroom. If you go with a bigger tank, I will give you them then. I will email Preston, also.

Tracey

kennerd
05/03/2002, 11:09 AM
Thant's great, tracey. Thanks.

Hey, where did you buy your Miracle Mud from? Boy do I have a story for the next meeting about the Ecosystem Hang-on that I bought...ugh. Well, it came with some replacement mud the woman had ordered, since she tossed the original stuff outwhen she tore down the unit & it is a zip-loc of sand that she failed to ID for me. looks like I'll be buying a back of MM.

Ken

PS: Are those mangroves growing well for you?

katspaw
05/03/2002, 11:38 AM
I got live sand in one refugium, and miracle mud in the other. I got the MM from Premium Aquatics online. To tell you the truth, the sand refugium is doing better than the MM one. But of all the mangroves John brought to me, none of them lived. I have one from Dr. Mac that is doing well. I am getting a new camera, so I will take some good pictures and post them later. Camera should be here next week.

Tracey

kennerd
05/03/2002, 11:44 AM
How long have you had the Miracle mud running? Ecosystem recommends that 50% gets replaced every two years, or something along that line. There could be some validity to that, but I would assume that the live sand would be a much more economical way to go in the long run.

katspaw
05/03/2002, 11:48 AM
December of last year, Not long for it to have to be replaced.

Tracey