PDA

View Full Version : need advice on refugium

Idaho Bob
05/02/2002, 11:23 AM
I have been using the box of a wet dry filter as my sump. It has only 2.5 gallons of water in it at its nominal level. I just got a big rectangular tank for a sump, so I was going to use my old wet dry for a refugium. it is 6" wide, 19" long, and 16 inches tall. It will fit along the side of my 42 gal aquarium, and return water to the aquarium by gravity flow. I was going to put a support under the refugium, so no weight is on the refugium-to-aquarium plumbing.

My question is how to plumb the return flow to the aquarium. Should I cut a hole in the side of the wet/dry, and glue in an acrylic return pipe? Use a PVC pipe with a bulkhead? If a bulkhead is best, where in town can you get a 1" bulkhead fitting?

Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

kgross
05/02/2002, 11:53 AM
I would suggest getting a bulkhead fitting myself. that way you could easly change the setup later on without any problems. As to where to get it, I currently have one in stock, or I believe that Specialty Plastics stock a schdual 80 bulkhead fitting.

Kim

deucejimmo
05/07/2002, 08:45 PM
Ithink that the bulkhead is the best idea . It is easier to install an is a lot cheaper than buying acrylic tubing .

good luck
jim

BraveHeart
05/09/2002, 02:59 PM
Bob,

I went to the effort and expense of fashioning 1" acrylic tube returns on my new refugium. It cost me $2 for enough 1" acrylic tubing to make two returns. I think they look better and they offer a larger, smoother orifice than the bulkheads I had on my old refugium. My bulkheads would plug up if not watched carefully.

If you want to use the bulkheads, you can have my old ones.

Bryan

Idaho Bob
05/10/2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks Bryan, but I already bought a 1" bulkhead. Man, they are expensive (Evergreen Sprinkler). I have drilled my Wet/dry box for it, but have not figured out the inflow device yet. Thanks for the offer and warning.