PDA

View Full Version : Safari Land stuff

creslin2
05/03/2006, 09:21 PM
just an FYI, since the roads up that way are damn near impassable.....Safari Land is having a sale from May 1-7, used tank stuff, sale stuff, and some other promos (demos and lectures and stuff) and a few drawings too. Every $10 you spend, you get a slip for drawings. they have a 20 gallon tank, lights, hood for drawing, also a 2 gallon deco reef and a 3 gallon deco reef. There's other stuff too, but I can't really remember. I went to buy fish. ;) so anyway, if you're interested, check it out before May 7! Oh yeah.....

Shop at Oceans of the Midwest! (www.oceansofthemidwest.com)

hoover86
05/03/2006, 10:46 PM
You wouldn't happen to know if they had any 55 gallon tanks for cheap did you?.......

Dakafall
05/04/2006, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7300448#post7300448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoover86
You wouldn't happen to know if they had any 55 gallon tanks for cheap did you?.......

Everything like that went within' the 1st day, they had a 150g tank that went for like $100

Lunchbucket
05/04/2006, 08:08 AM
are they "no more"?

Lunchbucket

Travis
05/04/2006, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7301721#post7301721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lunchbucket
are they "no more"?

Lunchbucket

I'm not sure. From what I know, Scott and most of the regular employees are no longer there. I heard the new owners were supposed to be changing the name but hadn't yet as of a couple weeks ago. I stopped in there just for S's and G's and boy was it a sad sight. All of Scott's well-maintained reef tanks were all being taken over by hair and other nuisance algae. The 2 reef tanks in the back were sitting stagnant for what appeared to be a long time with corals still in them. The sight of the saltwater section literally made me want to puke. There were a few employees doing maintenance on the FW tanks but I don't think anyone has done anything with the SW tanks in a long time, probably since the new owners took over.

creslin2
05/04/2006, 04:02 PM
it's true, I haven't been impressed with their aquarium keeping skills in the last few months, but there's maybe not a huge difference in FW....other than a general feeling of neglect or misinformation about what to put in which tanks. A few fish I've been keeping my eye on have recently had nipped fins. I asked if they were different, and he said no, we've had em for a while. I mentioned the nipped dorsal fins, and he just shrugged. Nipped wasn't the right word for it. Looked like they'd gone in for a haircut and got shaved! Also seen some dead fish that have been there for a while, but not this last trip. *shrug*

As for the name, I saw they were advertising a website. SafariLandAdventures.com, if I remember right.

Pallan
05/04/2006, 05:32 PM
the only thing that i saw (that was left) that even perked my attention was the outer orbits metal halide light set for i think 599.00 still to rich for my blood but im sure a decent deal if you got the money. would have had to have been a couple hundred less for me to buy it today tho.

creslin2
05/04/2006, 05:35 PM
yeah. and grant might even be able to match that price regularly, if not beat it. ;) er, Shop at Oceans of the Midwest?

Dakafall
05/04/2006, 06:02 PM
i still say the change in owners was for the best, i still think the tanks look fine (but i've mainly just looked at the FW), and it seems like the new owners are a lot nicer, just my $.02

Pallan
05/04/2006, 06:59 PM
well the salt tanks will need alot of work but your right they were very nice people there today. i believe one was an owner. very helpful.
in the past i have bought a few fish from safari and to their credit not one fish i have purchased from safari has died. but i was able to watch each fish from them for several weeks before purchasing to make sure it did not develop issues. not near as good as a quarentine tank at home but in the short run at least they dont die immediatly after bringing them home.

I hope the new owners clean up the salt section. I'll still frequent grants dont get me wrong, but I also like to impusle shop/buy at times.

Reistroffer
05/04/2006, 11:16 PM
My dads company actully owns the safari building, the new owner is leasing it until the end of the year, then the store gets the boot. They'll be moving into a new location. From what my dad has told me is that the new owner is going to be focusing mainly on dogs and cats to compete with mini critters. As for the employees all have remained except for Scott and his mother, to my knowledge even his daughter still works there from time to time.

Over all I think this is wonderful, Scott wasn't my favorite. The new owner though is EXTREMELY nice and geared toward her customers...very VERY impressed. As from what im to understand she doesn't know much about fish and is learning, so for a newbie I think she is doing rather well with what she has in the SWF department...over time I hope to see it grow. (Not that I shop anywhere other than Oceans) ..But just saying... The guys running it are the same two guys that have worked there for years, mostly freshwater guys. I was informed that scott was the big SWF guy...

anywho... hopefully this gets everyone moving on the right track as to whats going on with safari