PDA

View Full Version : Local hermit/snail hunting info

coyoteseven
05/03/2006, 06:43 PM
Hi everybody!

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I might be able to go around the Venice, Englewood, Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda area to hunt some hermit crabs and snails for my mantis tank. I'm starting to get a little hair algae problem, also it seems, Pookie is getting lonely and would like some friends over for dinner. :D

Thanks! :wavehand:

myakkareef
05/03/2006, 07:12 PM
We were out in the kayaks on the grass flats and I picked up a bunch of small hermits, not sure what make they where and drop them back in the water. But I bet you could go anywhere right now and find them. The water is real clear right now also because of lack of rain...

coyoteseven
05/03/2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Scott, I'm not too concerned about the species, just looking for algae eaters and of course, mantis chow. ;) My 45 is now mainly the xenia you gave me quite awhile back, a few rusty zoas and a little bit of encrusting fire coral.

Whereabouts are these flats you're talking about located? I'm still recovering from my hernia surgery and too much driving is still a little uncomfortable... about 30-45 minutes on the road is my limit. That's why I'm looking for areas within a 20 mile radius of North Port.

Agu
05/03/2006, 08:55 PM
Go to Manasota Key, the north beach, the intracoastal side at low tide is a good place to look for critters. If I'm available I'll join you.

Agu

coyoteseven
05/03/2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks Agu!

Now, I just need to check my map and the tide tables.

Oh... I'd better stop at WallyWorld tomorrow or Friday and renew my SW fishing license to be on the safe side, also.

Agu
05/04/2006, 08:28 AM
For mantis chow you could get some coquinas from any beach. when I go to the beach I'll bring a few home and feed a couple fresh ones and freeze the rest for later.

coyoteseven
05/04/2006, 04:15 PM
I figured if I didn't find any hermits, I'd scoop a few coquinas and sand crabs/fleas. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll score a pipefish or some dwarf SH, too. :D