PDA

View Full Version : water parameters and tank update with some ?

lookout888
05/03/2006, 05:18 PM
ok first the data

Last time testing.

KH in DKH = 9.0
Alk. = 3.20
Cal. = 390
Mag. = 1080
Nitrate = 5-10
Nitrite =0
phof.= 0
ph was around 8.1
salinity = 1.023

Tested 5 mins ago and got this

KH in DKH = 7.55
ALK. = 2.68
Cal. =395
Mag. 1035
Nitrate = 5-10
Nitrite = 0
phof = 0
ph = 8.23
salinity = 1.023

All corals are doing great I think most have grown a lot some double in size in a few months. My green carpet is still hiding and my green bta is doing ok don’t know if he is happy or not he seems to shrivel up a lot.

I was messing with my kalk reactor and did not watch it and it put about 5-8 g of water into my tank. my ph went up to about 8.7 8.8 I took out about 10g water and added some new salt water let it go and in a few hours the ph dropped down to 8.3. I let it go and now ph seems normal. My ph goes between 7.8 and 8.2 depending on the time of day. I am trying to run refugee lights opposite of main lights and seems to have closed the gap a little bit.

I have to clean my glass about every 2 or 3 days b/c it gets covered with brow cyano?? I think….. Is this normal?

I also have a sea fan and for some reason it gets covered in this green algae (don’t have pic just cleaned it yesterday). The algae looks like slim ( not hairy). It only grows on my sea fan. Also after it starts growing on my fan again it will grow on the sand around the fan in like a layer. The corner the sea fan is in does not have a lot of flow, But does have water movement. When I clean the sea fan the green algae on the sand goes away.

I also am getting green algae that is growing on the glass where the rocks are close to the glass and at the sand line. It is not slimy. It does not come off with a magnet cleaner. I bought a brush and with some work it does come off. I also got a scraper and that gets it off but takes a few passes. Any ideas?

Do I need to add anything like Mag to my tank?

I have not use kalk reactor in about 2 weeks (afraid of overflowing it again :)

All comments are welcome .

Thanks
Mike

Agu
05/03/2006, 09:18 PM
First of all I don't add anything I can't test for .

Your Ca is a bit low and your alkalinity has dropped. That's normal, Waterchanges, two part additives, or kalk will deal with that. Check the chemistry forum, Randy has some good articles about that issue.

Sea fans need pretty high flow, that may be why it gets algae on it.

pH swing is normal, esp with a kalk reactor. If you put it back online clean it well and put freash kalk in it. If it's been sitting off with no flow in it no telling what it'll dose in your tank. IMO it's well worth your time to get the kalk reactor back online and working correctly.

Sounds like your corals are happy. Don't get hung up on the numbers but keep an eye on the trends.

jmo,

lookout888
05/03/2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you Agu,
I just wanted to check with the pro's :) and make sure i am not messing things up to much :)

Mike