PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Setup

cj7jeep81
05/01/2002, 03:06 PM
I am planning on setting up an aggressive fish only (with live rock) tank for a friend of mine. Here is what I am planning. Please let me know what you think (especially about amount of live rock to use).

150 gallon (72" long x 24" wide x 20" tall)
Hamilton 72" VHO lighting system (2 160 Watt bulbs, one blue one white)
Berlin Protein Skimmer
Rainbow filtration system (UV sterilizer, chemical filtration module, mechanical filtration module, heater module).
Quiet One pump (724 gph at 4' head)
176 pounds of Fiji Live rock (would this be too much, he wants it mostly open, but with rocks for fish (and possibly an eel) to hide in)
Around 300 pounds of sand (the kind Home Depot sells that people in this forum recommend).
250 Watt TS automatic heater

What do you all think?

Mad Scientist
05/01/2002, 07:38 PM
Sounds pretty good to me, I would not use any less live rock than that as in an aggressive tank you are going to have a pretty heavy bio-load and going to need lots of rock to provide bio-filtration. Also, depending on what type of fish you are planning on keeping, don't count on being able to have a very functional DSB, triggers, for instance, will prey on a lot of creatures that help a DSB work.

Also, that lifegaurd system may be a little small for a 150gal. Instead you may want to consider a Corallige 25watt UV hang on UV and a simple/cheap aquaclear 500 (for carbon and mech floss). That lifegaurd system really offers no advantages and has a very slow flow rate. (although that pump realy is quite quiet).

Also, get a bunch of big powerheads, without really good circulation natural LR filtration doesn't work very well.

EdKruzel
05/02/2002, 02:42 AM
Depending on the fish you stock, I would definetly go with less rock.
Too much rock in a FO provides too many areas for excess food to become wedged, rot, and raise nitrates.

A DSB is great for a FO, provided you don't have triggers, or wrasses.

Large angels, groupers, eels, and other similar fish do not disturb the bed infauna.

Macro algae also gives a nice asthetic look while providing a good nutrient export.

A big skimmer, DSB and plants will give you a great setup. Should you choose a DSB, loose the UV, it will only hinder your sand bed.

Good Luck
Ed

gregt
05/05/2002, 08:29 AM
cj7jeep81,

[welcome]

Isn't it fun to spend someone else's money? :D

cj7jeep81
05/06/2002, 02:13 PM
It is fun gregt, too bad he will have a bigger tank than me:mad: