PDA

View Full Version : Cyanide and my sailfin

Covey
05/01/2006, 12:37 AM
I got a Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Desjardini). I read your cyanide artical and I wanted your opinion. I have had the fish for a month now somethings in your story creeped me out. I got the fish because it was heathly looking and wanted one for quite some time. The fish has never shown noticably appiette. Above all else it does act "spaced out." It spends most of its time hidden in a corner. It over 3x larger than any other fish and is not being picked on. When it does swim around it stay glued to the bottom it won't swim freely in the open water. It has real problems with any pump even ones my blenny(bad swimmer) can play in. If it is out in the open you can touch the fish and then it will slowly swim off.

Does this sound like Cyanide?

Steven Pro
05/01/2006, 07:24 AM
Your fish definitely does not sound like it is acting normally, but whether or not it is cyanide exposure, I can't say for sure. Zebrasoma desjardinii are not known for being routinely collected with this drug because of where they are found and obtain for the trade does not overlap with where cyanide use has spread. But, I guess it is always possible.

Have you noticed any spots, streaks, blotches, rapid breathing, or anything else?

Covey
05/01/2006, 10:54 AM
No noticable parasitic stuff going on. I noticed its colors have faded in this month. The spaced out thing is the biggest thing.

Steven Pro
05/01/2006, 12:23 PM
Let's try to rule things out. How is the water quality?

pH
alkalinity
calcium
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
phosphate
temperature
salinity

Size of tank?

Other occupants?

Covey
05/01/2006, 01:00 PM
pH 8.2-8.33
Alk 4meq
Cal 450ppm
Am,nitrite and nitrate undectable
Phosphate haven't check but running farely new phosban
temp 78
Salinity 30-31

The Tank is a 150G 6' long 18" wide by 29" deep. The other fish are 3 small green chromis, sixline wrasse, and a lawnmower blenny.

Hope it helps.

Steven Pro
05/01/2006, 01:46 PM
That all looks good. Your salinity is a bit low at 30-31 ppt, but that should not cause the problems you are seeing.