PDA

View Full Version : May Meeting 2006

mothra
04/30/2006, 04:50 PM
April Meeting: Bay Area Sponsor Road Trip
When: Saturday, May 29th 2006, 11:00 AM to ?
Where: TBA

Technically this isn't a meeting, but here's the scoop...

We make a point to say 'thanks' to our sponsors over in the bay area by getting as many NVR members, their family, and friends, together and caravaning over for a big shopping trip (some window shopping too). Last year was A LOT of fun. It's hard to beat a sunny spring day hanging out with a bunch of reefers and schmoozing with the fish store owners and employees. I think just about everyone went home with at least one new purchase... some folks had coolers full of new stuff :)

Last year we met in Tracy and left from there at about 11:30. We made one stop, then had lunch for an hour, then continued the trek to the rest of our sponsors. This is a 'non-club event' meaning it takes place in an off-month and we do not really organize it. There is no raffle and no proceeds go to the club, just a bunch of folks hanging out for a day. Everyone is on their own and can go home any time so long as you drive yourself. As soon as we agree on a meeting place it will be announced, we'll probably come up with a quick map too.

This thread will be updated as things progress. You can also check out the events page (http://www.nvreefers.org/events.php) for this information.

Happy Reefing!

Shimobe238
05/01/2006, 03:05 AM
29th is a monday...i'd be up to go...hopefully i'll have my new tank up!

mothra
05/01/2006, 09:11 AM
Wow... typo city on that one! Let's try again (sorry I have been sick with a high fever... no joke!)

May Meeting: Bay Area Sponsor Road Trip
When: Saturday, May 27th 2006, 11:00 AM to ?
Where: TBA

Technically this isn't a meeting, but here's the scoop...

We make a point to say 'thanks' to our sponsors over in the bay area by getting as many NVR members, their family, and friends, together and caravaning over for a big shopping trip (some window shopping too). Last year was A LOT of fun. It's hard to beat a sunny spring day hanging out with a bunch of reefers and schmoozing with the fish store owners and employees. I think just about everyone went home with at least one new purchase... some folks had coolers full of new stuff

Last year we met in Tracy and left from there at about 11:30. We made one stop, then had lunch for an hour, then continued the trek to the rest of our sponsors. This is a 'non-club event' meaning it takes place in an off-month and we do not really organize it. There is no raffle and no proceeds go to the club, just a bunch of folks hanging out for a day. Everyone is on their own and can go home any time so long as you drive yourself. As soon as we agree on a meeting place it will be announced, we'll probably come up with a quick map too.

This thread will be updated as things progress. You can also check out the events page for this information.

Happy Reefing!

mothra
05/08/2006, 04:59 PM
Anyone planning on going? It would be nice to get a head count in advance, but I know most of you guys just like to lurk here instead of posting so I know what to expect :)

Also, I forgot to mention that Exotic Reefs (http://www.exoticreefs.us) extended a special invitation to stop by. Since John runs his operation out of this house and mostly online this is a rare invitation for a group of reefers to come by.

The usual 10% sponsor discount will be in effect as well as some other specials for the day.

cyclebrkr
05/08/2006, 05:24 PM
I'm going, but you'll have to hold me back from purchasing anything. My tank won't be cycled by then ( should be going by the end of this week ). I could go buy the gimicky tank-cycle- starter-crap, but i know better........i think.

GorillaReefer
05/08/2006, 05:59 PM
You can count me, my brother, my friend enrique, and my cuzin in. For those who didn't go last time, these trips are a blast, and definitly worth checking out. Last time I told my wife "I'll be right back", I was gone 12 hours.

mothra
05/08/2006, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7327822#post7327822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cyclebrkr
I'm going, but you'll have to hold me back from purchasing anything. My tank won't be cycled by then ( should be going by the end of this week ). I could go buy the gimicky tank-cycle- starter-crap, but i know better........i think.

Hehe... yeah you DO know better :D. There will still be plenty of corals and fish to buy when your tank is ready.

Gorilla - yeah that last one was a good time, some of you crazy's kept the after party rolling.

We should note that anyone can bail at any time of course. Car pools are encouraged so make sure your car pool buddys have the same plans as you as far as what time they're coming back at. To do the WHOLE day figure being gone from about 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM back in Tracy (yes this is quite the reefing adventure). The great thing is once we get over there all of the stores are about 15 minutes from eachother, if that. Most of the time is spent eyeballing, bargaining, buying, and shooting the breeze.

oops - I need to correct a typo above, when referring to Exotic Reefs I meant to say it is run from HIS house not THIS house (I wish it was in my garage... maybe that was a dream)

Bdimas
05/11/2006, 02:58 PM
(I wish it was in my garage... maybe that was a dream)

I think I had the same dream.

mothra
05/11/2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah lots of eye candy to check out...

Is this all we have planning to go? Looks like it will be a much smaller group than last year.

rulesmith
05/12/2006, 12:25 AM
I believe I will be going, maybe Jorja too. It is my birthday weekend, so hehe I deserve to buy some things don't you think?

mothra
05/13/2006, 06:44 PM
Yes! and happy b-day.

I spent the good part of this morning doing tank maintenance and I decided to clear out a handful of corals and some frags to make space for some new purchases on this trip.

plankton
05/14/2006, 11:10 AM
Jake,

My wife's BD is that weekend and new aquaria live or dry stock isn't part of the plan so I'm afraid I/we can't go.

Scott

mothra
05/14/2006, 02:57 PM
Update - Possible Change of Plans

Just realised that the 27th is memorial day weekend. We're now thinking about moving it up a week to next Saturday the 20th. I know from talking to a few of you the 20th works better, is this going to mess things up for anyone else?

Reefugee
05/14/2006, 06:29 PM
I would love to go - but the cost of gas is getting a little high. :( I missed the last meeting because I didn't want to fill up my tank. I did have a blast hanging out with all of you last time, so I might have to say the hell with gas and just go.

Minh

Bdimas
05/14/2006, 06:33 PM
The 20th would be perfect for us. Plus traffic would probably suck on memorial weekend.
Hope you can make it Minh.

lanxang
05/14/2006, 06:47 PM
that would work for us also.

mothra
05/14/2006, 08:22 PM
Minh - I hear ya about gas. I'm hoping we can get some car pools together when we meet up, and would suggest to anyone car pooling to pitch in $10 for gas; afterall it would cost any of us a lot more than that to drive ourselves.

Bryan, Lak - Good to hear that you guys will be able to make it. I think traffic would be bad on the 27th too which is part of the plan to switch dates... so I think we are officially switching to the 20th.

I'll make sure an email goes out to everyone tonight...

Jesus
05/15/2006, 11:30 PM
I thought the trip was to be 27th according to the e-mail I got from Sandra. I can't go then. Have a paty for my son this Sat.

jesus

mothra
05/15/2006, 11:46 PM
Ok here we go final update and this will be emailed out to everyone who is registered in our database

May Event: Bay Area Sponsor Road Trip
When: Saturday, May 20th 2006, 10:00 AM to ?
Where: Meeting at Plankton's (Scott's) house in Tracy - You will receive the address through email or you can PM me and I will send it to you.

First and foremost anyone is invited to hang out. If you don't know anyone in the club don't sweat it you'll make some new friends right away. OK the following is the agenda for Saturday...

1. We'll be leaving Scott's house by about 10:30 AM so try to be there a little before then.

2. Arrive at Exotic Reefs around 11:30-12:00.

3. Arrive at Aquatic Gallery around 1:00-1:30.

4. Lunch for about an hour. There is a realy good Mexican restaurant right next door as well as other food right around there.

5. Arrive at Mermaid by 3:30.

6. Arrive at Atlantis by 4:30.

7. For those still interested arrive at Aquarium Concepts around 5:30.

8. Call it a day and head home!

We have a simple map with the addresses of all the stops on it, you can get this at Scott's house in the morning. Anyone can bail out at any time. If you would like to meet the group at one of the stops later on I have put the addresses below except Exotic Reefs.

Aquatic Gallery
115 N Milpitas Blvd, Milpitas, 95035 - (408) 262-3400

Mermaid
46513 Mission Blvd, Fremont, 94539 - (510) 498-8272

Atlantis Aquarium
34129 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, 94555 - (510) 793-6962

Aquarium Concepts
22398 Foothill Blvd, Hayward, 94541 - (510) 583-9000

lanxang
05/16/2006, 11:24 PM
I was just told that my brother is graduating that day. I guess I'll see you guys next month.

plankton
05/17/2006, 10:32 AM
I'll have to leave early (1:30PM) so will hit AG then return back to Tracy.

Scott

mothra
05/17/2006, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hear that some of you guys will not be able to go. Sounds like it is going to be a really small group this year. Well in any event we'll see how many show up and make the best of it.

Bdimas
05/18/2006, 03:01 PM
Looks like this is going to be a small group. Can the people who are going please respond so that we can get a head count.

Odie Parris
05/19/2006, 02:58 PM
Very interested in going with you guys, can someone get me to the jumping of point?? Never been to Scotts house, but I know where Tracy is, Odie. E Mail to: racerxodie@hotmail.com

mothra
05/19/2006, 03:53 PM
Odie - I will check with Sandra, our communications officer, but I believe you were included on the email with Scott's address. I know we have you registered in our member database and the email went to everyone. If you didn't get the email let us know (maybe you regsitered with a different email address ?).

Reefugee
05/21/2006, 03:03 AM
Hey Jacob -

How did the road trip go?

Minh

mothra
05/21/2006, 12:10 PM
Went pretty good. It was a small group but that made it go quicker. Afterward we stopped by Jesus' place :)

Bdimas
05/21/2006, 12:12 PM
I had a good time. Also left with some great peices.

plankton
05/21/2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, small group but gave us more time with the LFS owners and the ability to stop by for another personal tour of Jesus's gorgeous tank.

Looking forward to next road trip!!

Scott

cyclebrkr
05/21/2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe we can organize another trip for July? for those of us who couldn't make it, or don't have their tanks going yet!

Jesus
05/21/2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, still have half a bottle of crown royal.

jesus

Bdimas
05/22/2006, 09:27 AM
Jesus, we'll finish it next time!:beer:

mothra
05/22/2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe we can organize another trip for July? for those of us who couldn't make it, or don't have their tanks going yet!

Sure go for it! This was not a 'club' event anyway since it was our off month. We also have the BBQ coming up the last week of July. This year we have the best spot at Victory Park reserved, hopefully a few more folks will be able to make it to that one.