PDA

View Full Version : New toys on their way

Stoli
04/30/2002, 08:17 PM
Just ordered two icecap MH250s with 10K 250 AB bulbs and
Icecap 660 with two super actinics
from Ocean Encounter. Total with shipping (UPS Ground, but it was hard not to spend the extra 40 for overnight) was $664. Way better than I've found elsewhere.

Anyway, in a few days, when I'm staring at a box full of parts (like when I got my reactor), I'll be begging for help here. Free beer for all who assist (never hurts to offer an incentive.) :beer:

ToddsReef
04/30/2002, 09:49 PM
Congrats...I know a guy with that setup and he loves it!!! In fact he spent 14 hours over the last two days putting it all into his new canopy!

Todd

Zmann
04/30/2002, 09:55 PM
Dude it didnt take you 14 hours to wire those lights did it? You must of been adding extra stuff and smokin a few in between. Cant wait to see your Dads craftmanship! Are you happy!?

ToddsReef
04/30/2002, 10:19 PM
Jamie,

THRILLED! Took a lot of messing around to get the ballasts, fans, reflector, and X-10's and everything mounted in the small area. Oh yeah, it took me a little time to blow up my 430 as well:rolleyes: ...an electrician I am not! Shoot me an email when you are free this week (or next).

Todd

Zmann
04/30/2002, 10:26 PM
Did you just pop the fuse?

ToddsReef
04/30/2002, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but then I toasted it by trying to figure out where my short was and running it with no bulbs. I actually replaced it with a used one from Mike B. (the guy who took all of the frags to John's) and I'll sell mine when it get's back from repair.

John is so cool, I went there to buy a ballast and ran into Mike so I put John's ballast back on the shelf and John was happy for Mike rather than being ****ed about a lost sale, then John was even helping Mike to sell his used halides to another customer without getting anything out of it...you wouldn't see that at many LFS's.

Todd

Stoli
05/01/2002, 04:21 AM
In fact he spent 14 hours over the last two days putting it all into his new canopy!

If it takes me 14 hours to remove my old ballasts, cut a few wires, splice a few wires, electrocute my dogs, start an electrical fire, put it out, and then call someone who knows what he's doing, I'm gonna get a new hobby.

ReeferMac
05/01/2002, 06:52 AM
If it takes me 14 hours to ...

LOL!!! You ain't seen nuthin yet!
Just wait until you have to move a tank! Then you'll really want to quit!

then John was even helping Mike to sell his used halides to another customer without getting anything out of it...you wouldn't see that at many LFS's.

Todd, I'd wager you wouldn't see that at ANY store...
Maybe it's time I forgave him for busting up my 29AGA...

- Mac

dmorel
05/02/2002, 10:57 AM
Did you get these lights installed yet?

I have gone through this process a few times now and would be glad to give you a hand.
Hell, I have only melted one end cap so far :eek1:

get in touch if you want a hand.

Mac,
I would forgive John, that guy is about as nice as they come.
When people talk about how the sales people at a LFS *should* be (someone that is knowledgeable and friendly who won't sell you something for your tank that you shouldn't have) they are talking about him.

-dm

Stoli
05/02/2002, 12:23 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the kind offer. The system hasn't arrived yet (probably early next week) but when it does, I'll definitely give you a call. Actually, the only thing that makes me nervous is cutting and splicing the existing leads to the lights. But, since I've never done it before, a second set of hands would be greatly appreciated.

Stoli

MarksReef
05/02/2002, 04:04 PM
I have meters, wire cuters, stripers, crimpers, sodering gun ect. If you need call any time or shoot me an e-mail

Stoli
05/02/2002, 05:41 PM
Zack:

Thanks for the kind offer. I think I have all the tools. Although, if I need to solder, I'm going to be a bit perturbed.:(

According to Ocean Encounter, the package is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. If everything arrives as promised, I'll be ordering there again. But, still going to wait before judging.

Stoli

dmorel
05/02/2002, 06:29 PM
Stoli,
If your package arrives tomorrow give me a holler.
(PM me if you need my number again...)
I should have some free time tomorrow night, as my wife and son are going out of town...
-dm

Gary Majchrzak
05/02/2002, 11:48 PM
dmorel- you need to give me some tips on how to get wives and offspring into canoe races and 'leave town'!!!
Stoli: NICE LIGHTING CHOICE!

Stoli
05/03/2002, 07:35 PM
HOLY LOTS OF WIRES BATMAN!!!!!!

OMG! Looks like I'm planning on wiring the space shuttle. This should be really interesting. Think I'll wait til tomorrow, after the meeting, to start this project.

Then again, I haven't started a big fire recently. Maybe, I'll start tonight.

ReeferMac
05/03/2002, 07:43 PM
LOL!
First, start by opening a bottle of wine, or if you're particularly anxious, get some of that Scotch!

- Mac

dmorel
05/03/2002, 07:50 PM
dmorel- you need to give me some tips on how to get wives and offspring into canoe races and 'leave town'!!!

1: Buy her a canoe to enter into races
2: Buy her a car with a roof rack

order is not important.

dmorel
05/03/2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Stoli
HOLY LOTS OF WIRES BATMAN!!!!!!

OMG! Looks like I'm planning on wiring the space shuttle. This should be really interesting. Think I'll wait til tomorrow, after the meeting, to start this project.

Then again, I haven't started a big fire recently. Maybe, I'll start tonight.

hehe..
It's not as bad as it seems (and unlike the reactor set up, that statement *might* be true)

Gimme a holler if you want some help.

-dm