PDA

View Full Version : starting rotifers from resting eggs

richardb42
04/30/2002, 09:21 AM
Hi guys/gals,
I'm starting a rotifer culture from resting eggs. They hatch and I feed micro-algae (just a bit, as recommended). I'm trying to control the ph in the rotifer culture and am noticing it is always increasing (probably due to the algea activity in the culture bottle). My cultures are now in pint-sized
I measure and adjust the ph in pint-sized bottles (filled about half way after 4 days) twice per day. My ph meter measures ph at about 8.05 to 8.1 and I adjust down to about 7.75. I find I need to do this at least twice per day in order to keep the ph down.
Is this normal?

Another note: this morning I started light areation at about 2 or 3 bubbles per second. Is this alright?

Dwayne
05/01/2002, 10:53 PM
I keep rotifers in half of a 10 gallon tank ( I put in a plexi divider). I just keep adding phyto till the water gets really bad. Then siphon out some rotifers, clean that half of the tank, and start over.

FWIW

Dwayne

BonsaiNut
05/01/2002, 11:11 PM
We just had a long discussion about phytoplankton and rotifers down in the clam forum - you might want to read the thread...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82649

richardb42
05/10/2002, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the hints, but I'm still stuck. I get moderate growth for about 2 days (maybe 100 rotifers in a 2 litre bottle) and then it seems to crash and I have to restart from the bottom sludge. I'm keeping the water light green. Am I not feeding enough to get the culture further?
I currently have another batch at its 'peak'. I'll try stocking it with more algea tonight...

I'd appreciate any other hints anyone may have...

Dwayne
05/10/2002, 10:38 AM
More Phtyo.

Light green isnt enough phyto.

FWIW, IMO, YMMV, etc....

Dwayne

Tommyc
05/10/2002, 09:17 PM
Rich, check out Dwayne's website. He's got a neat little phyto set up going. By the way Dwayne, been meaning to ask what size airpump you're using to drive all the cultures? Tom

Dwayne
05/10/2002, 11:23 PM
Tommyc - I get asked that alot. I dont know. I use two very old pumps that I found in my garage. Each one fits in the palm of my hand.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dwayne

richardb42
05/11/2002, 10:31 AM
I've seen dwyane's setup for phyoto a while ago - nice creative use of PVC. Mine's just some plastic shelving with some white-board to keep the light in. My phyoto's growing nicely: its just my rotifers that are stuck.

Here's another question for all you rotiferers out there: what's your areation like in your rotifer cultures?

BTW, thought I might mentioned that I used to raise clownfish larvea on just baby brine shrimp (SFB Brand) about 10 years ago... this rotifer thing is meant to get my yields up...

BonsaiNut
05/12/2002, 11:31 PM
I used to grow rotifers from 100% phyto cultures. Take the darkest green phyto culture and drop some rotifers in it, then wait about 7-10 days. That is how I got some DENSE cultures.

As far as aeration goes, I kept it as low as possible. Turn your air so low that you think it can't go any lower. You just need enough air to keep your culture water moving slowly - no more.

richardb42
05/20/2002, 04:09 PM
Well, I increased the phyto and the little buggers are reproducing nicely. I also am areating at a minimal rate as suggested here and elsewhere, all the while controling the ph to a range from 6.5 to 7.5. All I need now is for my clownfish pairs to start spawning... (any day now)

Bigjohn
05/20/2002, 07:10 PM
I have the best luck using the Roti-Rich product from Fla. Aqua Farms. I can feed about 2 or 3 drops twice per day and the rotifers muliply like mad. I don't even fool with the 'pure' cultures of green water. I use water change tank water and let it sit for about a week until it turns real green. Then I add that to my fry tanks and lots of rotifers and add a drop or two of the Roti-Rich directly in with the fry also. Keeps everyone happy. Then after the fry are about 3 weeks old, I start letting the water clear up and begin the normal water changes, etc.