PDA

View Full Version : Good and Bad - banggers released!

Spikehs
04/29/2002, 05:28 PM
Hey all,

Well i have some mixed news, last night my male starting spitting out some banggers. Unfortunetly the holding pen i had him had holes that were bigger then the banggers (i didn't anticipate them being so small!!!). I woke up this morning and there was only 1 left :( floating outside in the main tank, which leads me to believe that either the male ate them before they got out of the pen, or the female ate them when they came out. Does anyone have any advice for the next batch on how to seperate them a little better?....Is my assumption correct - was it most likely the female that ate them? Oh well, i'll have fun raising this one little fella (he sure is cute).

Sean

Wild Card-inal
04/29/2002, 06:19 PM
Congratulations! Sorry to hear about all the other Banggers, but it is probably a combination of both parents eating the babies. Unless you have a ton of hiding places...

FMarini
04/29/2002, 06:36 PM
Seasn:
congrats for taking the banggais to term, BooHoo for having your first disappointment.
This is an easy one to address, if you keep the male in the same net or container as the fry ensure you have some sort of plastic hiding area for the fry to darft into. (fake spawning grass or plant, any fake sea urchin.)
If you had a chance to skim over the banggai articles
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml
you would read that i to experienced this same problem back in 97 and it was easily solved w/ plastic spawning plant. i found a typical breeders net to be of addequate hole size to allow good water passage and still retain the fry.
I couldn't ell you who ate them, anything in your tank will find banggai fry as food, including your overflows and pumps. I'm not sure where they went.
So before you add your male back to the female fatten him up again fo a week then let the party begn again
Best of luck
frank