PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Me!

Aquarist Guru
04/23/2006, 01:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to NVR but a LFS gave me a card today and it's exactly what I've been looking for.

My name is Jarrod. 31 year old Father of two been married almost a decade now (god I'm getting old).

I bought an 80 gallon tank about 3 months ago with 2 mechanical 50 gallon filters, and a 100 gallon ventury protien skimmer. Along with a power head.

Now the story of my limited experience:

I cycled the tank with 9 damsels, and 60 lbs of LS and 35 lbs of CC substrate along with about 80 to 100 lbs of regular limestone.

After about 4 weeks my ammonia hit 0 finally however my nitrite and nitrate were through the roof.

Soon I found I had not allowed enough air in my skimmer to work properly, and I was advised to remove the CC which I did after a day of being armpit deep in my tank and using my pasta strainer.

I also added Cycle and with in a day or two my nitrite and nitrate went to 0 amazingly.

I waited another 3 weeks practicing my water tests and reading all I could on various fish I might want to purchase.

I decided to buy a percula clown at the constant request of my 3 year old daughter (she wanted a nemo).

All went well for a few more weeks so I decided to visit some LFS but they were almost all horrid (fish dead in tanks, shop keepers who had no clue if a fish was even salt water or fresh without reading the tank info).

I finally drove 90 minutes away to South San Jose found a pretty good LFS and they quickly had me buying a Emperor Angel in no time.

Saying they would be no issues with the fish what so ever and that later I could buy another 2 angels (fire and coral beauty was the plan).

A week went buy the fish were doing great, I couldn't help but visit the store a few more times too see all the new specimens that came in but didn't have a fire angel available so I waited another week.

The LFS told me though that my Bio system would not be enough with only 60 lbs of LS and no LR I decided he was right and did as he suggested and bought 40 lbs of sand, with plans to add some LR over time.

The sand made the tank a bit cloudy and moving all the rocks around for sure wasn't easy on the fish but everything seemed fine.

The next morning I found my beautiful emperor dead on the side of the tank with all its fins eaten down to the bone.

I took him back to the store that day but the shop manager said a water test wouldn't show anything and it was clear our damsels must of beat it up to death since its fins looked so bad.

I swore they never showed agression and they couldn't possibly have done harm to him until after he died but he didn't want to spend any time on it so I let it go.

And talked to a few other very helpful attendants of the store. What amazed me about this store is the owner is a biologist, and each staff member knew every fish, what they ate, if they needed high light needs or not, and so on. Where other stores from my LFS to petco and so on didn't know more than I and if so only about one or two things.

I will admit they told me I might want to wait to buy anything to see if other fish might die and find a more devious cause to the death of my Emperor.

But I was pretty sure the fact was I stressed the fish out by adding sand and moving the rocks as I did.

I spent the day on forums and found that some think angels are far more delicate than the store merchants led me to believe, angels I'm told shouldn't be in tanks under 6 months old, as any spikes could kill them quickly.

my moving rocks and adding substrate could easily have killed the angel and the damsels may have attacked from the confusion or simply pecked at him when he was dead.

Well this week I went back to the store, and was prepared to think of another fish but I couldn't find a way to decide what next with my suspessions that what they said I could handle would be much to eager with a sale in the end result.

So I of course got sold! I left with 5 more red hermits (to go with my 5 blue hermits), and 3 more turbos to go with the two I had.

But then the point came where I just had to try something new, so I bought a Sebae anemone after being told that my percula would make it his home, that it wasn't light hungry and my florecent hoods would be plenty.

Well then by the night after watching it float around and bump into everything, and even moving a rock it decided to get stuck under, it settled under my power head so I turned it off and let it goto sleep.

Little did I know that sebae sleep sometimes deflatted so an hour later I was nearly in tears when my wife said it was dead (or might be).

Sure enough it looked horrible, all flat and sunken in itself lying on its side on the sandy floor.

I almost yanked it out and was ready to call this hobby a bad mistake.

But I decided to goto bed incase there was something I didn't know.

The next morning I woke up and started reading up on Sebae's and had new hope as i learned it could live for a short time without some better lighting but over a years time or less it might die of starvation without some healthy light to feed the zooplankton.

My wife came up stairs and told me it looked much better again and even had attached itself to the rock.

She was right all was well, after 6 hours of being attached it decided to move again and tonight its doing well however is again sleeping on its side on the sand but only slightly deflatted this time.

So here I am, today at my LFS in town (I don't buy much from it as it rarely has much and well the store clerks dont know much at all).

But they handed me a NVR card and it was exactly what I was looking for.

So here I am, sorry for the long hello but I figured I'd get my short History out all in one spot than repeat it everytime I go into detail with a new face in the crowd.

I'm very eager to learn more about this hobby and have even spoken with a few friends about one day making this a career of some kind (I'll save that for another topic).

My plans in the future include a huge tank, and maybe getting into breeding and fragging myself.

I plan to keep a reef tank and a fish only but I'm not sure which tank will be which (either keep the 80 gallon I have a fish tank and make the future large tank a reef one or visa versa).

Please by all means if theres any thing anyone ever can come up with that they think I might need to know to learn all there is about this hobby, grab my ear I'm always eager for learning something knew.

mothra
04/23/2006, 01:11 PM
Jarrod, Welcome to the club :)

That was a great introduction, gives us a something to talk about when we see you at the meeting. It sounds like you had a typical experience settting up a saltwater tank - which is unfortunate. Sometimes even good LFS (local fish stores) give bad advice. I'm curious who the store was that you mention, I hope not one of our sponsors!

I have a feeling that had you found NVR first club members would have steered you away from several of the things you mentioned above. The fish store should not have sold you the emperor knowing your tank size, nor should they have sold you an anemone with only flourescent lighting! It's really not your fault but you can greatly increase your chances of success by educating yourself, and the best way to do that is talk to other hobbyists and learn from eachothers experiences. That's what NVR is all about, and in turn your experiences will help someone else someday. Some of this information can be found here: http://www.nvreefers.org/reference.php on our website.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and other new members at the upcoming club meeting, I hope you can make it.

Jesus
04/23/2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome Jarrod. Were about about are you and Tracy? If you need advice or help, there are a few reef keeper in Tracy. Just post any question here and someone will gladly help you out. NVR is a laid back and fun club. Our next meeting is next Saturday at stockton. Oh I am here in Tracy in the Edgewood area. If you want to chat and see my tank, just PM here in and we can set it up.

jesus

GorillaReefer
04/23/2006, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the Club Jarrod. This is definitely a great group of guys, who are always willing to help with whatever questions you might have. You've had quit an experience. I think most of us have gone through that at least once. The one thing I suggest doing, besides talking with expected reefers, is buy some books. Learning from people first hand helps a lot, but doing some research by reading some good Saltwater books will really teach you the techniques you need to learn more. Glad to have you in the club.

Aquarist Guru
04/23/2006, 09:46 PM
Before I bought any fish I did buy a book about aquariums that went into great detail about all the items I'd need. However it was a bit dated I later found, and didn't talk at all about how benificial LR and LS are.

So when I bought my substrate and rock I was under the impression if I wanted fish I didn't need LR and LR was only for reefs.

I was also under the impression that the only fish I could have in a reef tank was one or two max usually a yellow tang and a clown.

As I grow with understanding I find right now I probably want to get into about 100 lbs or more or LR and have a few different fish types maybe even an anemone and slowly work my way into a reef tank.

As most of the fish I really am interested in would out grow my 80 gallon tank I have plans in the future to possibly build a mammoth of a tank (anywhere from 500 to 2000 gallons).

That could support a number of the fish I have my eyes on.

However the more I read I could imagine that as a great reef tank as well so the ideas are coming as I learn and I'll just have to realize that I'm not going to know what the hobby will bring me too until it does.

What I do know is this is great fun and I look foward to growing into the hobby with you guys.

Aquarist Guru
04/23/2006, 09:47 PM
oh btw Jesus I sent you a PM i'd love to see your tank and get to know you locals anytime.

cyclebrkr
04/23/2006, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the club!

I have some books i can let you borrow. I'm here in Tracy also ( Glennbriar ), so I'm really close.
If you can, get with Jesus because he is very knowledgble. He can steer you in the right direction.
I'm glad to see the cards work! I stopped by Clarks ( i assume that' where you got it) one day when i had to stop by the bank across the street. I met a guy that worked there that is real interested in getting a real saltwater business going. I talked with him a while about the club and gave him as much info as i could about the club and saltwater tanks in general. Thay have a high turnover there ( they hire kids ) that don't know anything about saltwater. It's easy to get bad advice from a situation like that. But, I'm glad to see people's desire to learn and not kill fish (plus it becomes cheaper when you have knowledge ).
Well, hope to see you at the next meeting! If you want to borrow the books, just P.M me and I'll get them to you.

Stephan

rulesmith
04/24/2006, 12:11 AM
Welcome. I am glad you found us. This is a great group to get your questions answered and to get help.

Reefugee
04/24/2006, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the club as well. As a member of several clubs, I can tell you that NVR is one of the friendliest club around. Jesus is a legend in this hobby - so you would be wise to get advice and corals from him.

As far as books, there are two books I STRONGLY recommend for newbies when it comes to purchasing fish. Both are by Scott Michael (who spoke at the WMC).

Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
A Pocket Expert Guide to Reef Aquarium Fishes: 500+ Essential-to-know species

Queezyviper
04/24/2006, 04:12 PM
I'm new too! Welcome!

Aquarist Guru
04/25/2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome I feel welcomed and I appreciate that.

I sent the PM's to you Tracy folks and I hope to meet soon, I am almost 99% sure I'll be at the meeting but my daughter has her first dance recital at 10am that same day, lets hope she's on and off quickly =).

Jesus
04/26/2006, 05:03 AM
Nice talking with you Jarrod. I will try and come by and help you out with your problem. Boy, you have going to far for the LFS. We have some good LFS closer than San Jose. After talking with you over the phone, you should start not using tap water even though you treat it.

jesus

Aquarist Guru
04/26/2006, 10:43 PM
ya ill buy that RO/DI and start using purified water right away. Thanks for all the help tonight the light looks much better up there and the anemone is staying in place so far. I'll get with Stephen and come by tommorrow later on unless you need som e help with that shed.

plankton
04/27/2006, 01:24 AM
Jarrod - Wow, what an intro.

Like others have already said, I'm afraid many of us have gone down the initial road you have and can definitely offer wisedom born from experience.

Jesus is definitely one master, but we have several others you can consult with (free of charge)!

Also, go slow as there is lots to learn (both wet and dry) and one of the secrets to a successful reef tanks is ... stability.

Scott

Aquarist Guru
04/27/2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks Plankton,

I definitely put the breaks on buying any stock for a while until I figure out whats wrong with my system thats killing all but the heartiest creatures.

Jesus came over and helped me a bit last night with setting up my new lights on their stand and moved my anemone about into a (hopefully) better spot.

Unfortunately tonight I noticed the anemone had moved a tad again and was on his "mouth" face down in the sand, I flipped him over again and moved him back into the spot we put him last night I hope he relaxes a bit and just balances out in my tank.

I'll continue watching my water levels and hopefully he will settle down and flourish.