PDA

View Full Version : rants

UrbanSage
04/22/2006, 04:15 PM
It was nice to see the people who showed up at the meeting today. It seems like a very varied group of experiences which is a great plus and I hope to be able to benefit down the road as well as contribute with what I can bring. :cool:

Currently I grow phyto plankton and I grow way more than what my tank can consume. If anyone is interrested I might be able to begin bringing X amount of two liter bottles with me to the meetings at no cost. If anyone is interrested I can also Grant permitting use him as shortterm storage. I unload a couple of bottles and someone picks them up. This way the Phyto will be fresh and available more than once a month.

I also want to advertise my website (http://www.vaernhoej.com). It is brand new and hopefully I can grow it into a mekka for reef enthusiasts :D (We will see)

I have some different zoas that are doing great though not quite ready to frag out yet. When the time comes and if someone will assist with the fragging process I will be more than happy to offer them at a meeting. This could be months though.

Again, good to see you all at the meeting!

sleeperls
04/22/2006, 06:57 PM
ill deff take some. I'll one day have some frags one of these days haha :D Btw where is your accent from? teresav wants to know.

Travis
04/22/2006, 07:26 PM
sleeperls, after checking out his site, I think the accent might be from Denmark.;):D

UrbanSage, I would be happy to assist with fragging zoa's. They are easy to frag but also very dangerous due to their highly potent toxins. They are actually probably the most dangerous corals to frag. Just have to make sure you use some good gloves. I used some cheap thin latex gloves when fragging them in the past and one of them got a hole in it and I got a nasty infection where I had a little paper cut on my hand. A couple of my fingers swelled up to twice their normal size within a half hour. Not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to know that caution does need to be taken with these things.:)

I think the phytoplankton idea is a great idea. Very generous of you to offer it for free to existing club members.

UrbanSage
04/22/2006, 07:44 PM
Yup, accent is danish. Danish sounds like a language spoken with a potato in ones mouth so I wont take offence if I have to repeat what I say :D

Zoa's are not ready yet. They are growing fast though. I moved my rock around about three weeks ago because I added more rock. During moving I tore some zoa's. Three weeks ago the torn off heads totalled two, now I have the two original and I can count four small heads.

About the phyto. It doesnt take me much to add a bottle or two more to the brewery. My only concern is not being able to pawn it off. Pouring plankton down the drain is a really bad idea :D unless you feel like getting a visit from the city of Sioux Falls.....

I also on a maybe monthly basis will have a nice big ball of Chaetomorpha....

kau_cinta_ku
04/22/2006, 09:46 PM
wow you will have to teach me how you grow the phyto. i heard it's easy and want to start doing it also. do you also know how to raise rotifers? i have skunk cleaner shrimp that produce eggs 2 times a month and would like to learn how to raise live foods for when i get ready to try and raise the fry.

UrbanSage
04/22/2006, 10:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7228736#post7228736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
wow you will have to teach me how you grow the phyto. i heard it's easy and want to start doing it also. do you also know how to raise rotifers? i have skunk cleaner shrimp that produce eggs 2 times a month and would like to learn how to raise live foods for when i get ready to try and raise the fry.

It is very easy, I seeded with DT's phyto plankton and then it just bubbles for about two weeks with light on for 16 hours a day.
I do not have experience with rotifers but only because I have to get that online initially.... Also at this point I do not have much that would benefit from it. I do have two skunk cleaners myself, they do carry eggs on occation, but since they both do it.......not much point right....unless they know something I dont about reproduction :D

But I am pretty sure a rotifer brewery would just be fed some of the phyto brew on a daily basis.... It is very simple, i had mine going in no time and with exelent results.

ewaldm
04/23/2006, 11:07 PM
I wasn't at the meeting so I didn't get to meet you, but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :)

I just listened to a podcast on phytoculturing. Might have to buy a cup of your home brew some time to make my own culture. Hope to see you at the next meeting!

UrbanSage
04/24/2006, 01:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7234975#post7234975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ewaldm
I just listened to a podcast on phytoculturing. Might have to buy a cup of your home brew some time to make my own culture. Hope to see you at the next meeting!

I wouldnt take your money for it. I have more than what I need.

Pallan
04/24/2006, 05:15 PM
The algae your talking of is that the stuff in your refugium pics, i got some from grant and it is stringy not leafy. will mine get that way or is yours a diffrent kind of algae.
If there is not a problem with mixing the diffrent types of algae. let me know when you got extra or bring some to a meeting im sure people will help you get rid of it. LOL

i cant wait till i start growing things and have to get rid of stuff. or frag pieces out. long way to go for me.

UrbanSage
04/24/2006, 06:20 PM
The macro algae in my tank is mostly chaetomorpha (spaghetti like) and it grows fast. I can bring some no problem. I had some Caulerpa nummularia too but it never took hold, same with Caulerpa racemosa.

Identification at Melev's Reef (http://www.melevsreef.com/id/algae.html).

I have one more but im not sure what name it is. It is the one that is predominant in the pictures on my site (http://www.vaernhoej.com). Currently the chaetomorpga is predominant. Im sure I can bring both although I only prune the chaeto on a regular basis.