PDA

View Full Version : Help IDing a hitch hiker please.

bluelost
04/20/2006, 10:09 AM
I have had no luck getting this little hitch hiker identified on my home DFWMAS board, so I thought I might try here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/j_n_thompson/Fish%20Tank/hitchhiker.jpg

It actually goes in and out of the rock if something goes by it, but otherwise just stays extended like this. Every once in a while you will see that inner mesh looking part fold down forward like a tongue.

Thanks for any help!

Monkeyfish
04/20/2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry, but all I see is shadow in a dark red circle. Any way of "brightening" up the picture via photoshop or a similar program?

Sk8r
04/20/2006, 11:49 AM
It could be a barnacle...if it has a 'radar dish' it swivels back and forth.

fijireef
04/20/2006, 11:56 AM
I have one of these also, and have been just as unsuccessful in ID'in it..

bluelost
04/20/2006, 12:44 PM
From here at work I do not have a program to lighten the picture, but it only looks like a shadow. It has no color. The center almost looks like mesh, but will sometimes flip down like it is licking at something, but this is rare. It has no 'radar dish' or any other sort of appendage. When sticking out of its hole in the live rock it looks like, for lack of a better description, lipstick sticking out of its tube. The sides are smooth black.

Fijireef, how long has yours been in the tank? We have had our for a little over a month, it has never moved except to retract into the hole in the rock that it came on. Has yours grown in size at all? Is it something I need to worry about putting anything above it and hampering its growth? Or should we even leave it in? It seems to only filter feed so I am not worried about things being eaten, but still have to wonder if it is safe to be in my tank.

fijireef
04/20/2006, 08:49 PM
I noticed mine 3 months ago. Its "hanging" upside down in a small cave in the LR. Mine never seems to move either, unless you shine a light on it or otherwise scare it, then it retreats up into the rock with amazing speed. The lipstick description is very fitting & your picture is exactly the same as mine looks. As far as growth..none that I can see. I have not bothered to remove mine..it seems to do no harm to anything. But I would like to know what it is! :)

fijireef
04/20/2006, 08:51 PM
Oh..my LR is from Fiji..if that helps anyone attempting an ID.

birdmom
04/20/2006, 10:12 PM
Hi, As I am new to the forum & recently returned to the Hobby after many years, do not rely on my input completely as I am not totally familiar with Rock Hitchers. However, I am fairly good with my marine related ID's.
That said, The pics & descriptions remind me of a small Sea Pen. I believe they normally occur on the sand bed but perhaps it is possible that they could develop on live rock in an aquarium setting?
Hopefully someone with more experience on Live Rock ID will come along.

Timothy01
04/22/2006, 08:22 PM
if not for the discription of it's movment i would say it looks like a bi-valve. i have sevral these in my 80 but they dont move just open and close

fijireef
04/23/2006, 01:19 AM
Mine definately moves..with extreme speed.

fijireef
04/28/2006, 12:46 PM
Any ideas on this one?

kmk2307
05/03/2006, 11:51 PM
Try looking up branchiopods. These are lophophorates (a group of animals with a particular type of feeding appendage called a lophophore) that superficially looks like a bivalve clam.

Kevin

OldmillXxX
08/01/2006, 01:00 PM
I have that exact thing! It is gray with black or dark brown or darker gray stripes. It almost looks like the pectoral fins of a scooter blenny. I'll try to get a good pic tomight and post.

Awesome!

Derrick_E
08/01/2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.tdxp.net/fishpics/hitchhiker.jpg

here is your picture with the circled area lightened. Hope it helps.

OldmillXxX
08/02/2006, 08:22 AM
Forgot about softball last night, I'll post tonight. I promise it will be a very easy picture to see. Looks very very similar. Mine is a tad smaller, but similar markings.

OldmillXxX
08/03/2006, 09:58 PM
As promised, here is what is in my tank. Just popped up one day.

Hope this helps. Not as good as I thought, but my camera is no jewel.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68713Bi-valve1.JPG

And a closer pic.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68713Bi-valve5.JPG