PDA

View Full Version : My Tank Died

Zeman
04/19/2006, 04:08 PM
Hello

MY heater came apart in my tank and in a span of about four hours, all of my corals were destroyed. And then my fish died soon after. It has been 2 weeks since the death of my tank, But my water levels are back to normal, the only thing that survived was my rock(my nitrogen cycle is back on track), Yellow watchmen gobbie, sally light foot crab, and one hermit crab, so I need to start over. I just wanted to share my pain. Grant sells grounding probs. this will help if any electrical equipment malfunctions.

Thank you

John Zeman
605-670-1377

Sk8r
04/19/2006, 04:15 PM
That is so bad. Been there. Got the t-shirt. I hope that the new version will exceed the old.

kau_cinta_ku
04/19/2006, 04:50 PM
ouch very sorry to hear about that. happens to alot of us. if your comming to the meeting i will give you a kenya tree and shroom to help get you going if you want. but thats all i can really offer. but just wondering weather or not having the heater come apart if it didn't leak any copper in the tank?

sleeperls
04/19/2006, 05:38 PM
that sucks my i wish my stuff was ready to frag or id help ya out myself.

creslin2
04/19/2006, 07:50 PM
I know the feeling, sorta. I had a heater shatter on that tank I got from McDonald's. But oddly enough, it didn't affect the fish at all?! the bits of filament fell to the gravel bed and laid there for a few days, I'm thinkin, and the damn thing was still plugged in! (yeah, it's in my office, and I wasn't in there for a few days. Bad Matt! *shame shame shame*) So I've been lucky. Didn't seem to affect the water quality at all, and this is 3 months past or so. Only had one fish die in the meantime, and he was swimming slightly to the side for a few months before (swim bladder infection?) So, in the end, a piece of equipment I didn't choose failed, and I replaced it with no apparent ill consequences. Too close for comfort, I tell ya.

sleeperls
04/19/2006, 09:53 PM
i had a ebo go bad about a month or so ago. didnt hurt anything but it sure did make my tank goto 86 degree's. It had a hard life tho im surprised it didnt break a year ago.

alanscott
04/19/2006, 10:28 PM
man that is hard to hear. What kind of heater was it? glass or titanium? How often do you guys replace heaters? only when needed or do it routinely?

Lunchbucket
04/19/2006, 10:50 PM
Zeman - sorry to hear man!!! this hobby is hard enough w/out stuff like this happening!! i'm sorry to hear. bout the only thing we can do is get back on track. glad your fellow reefers have offered some help. great thing about this hobby

a lot of tank crashes have happened from almost everyone. i had PO4 issues w/ a salt and bad batches...not much i could to but get back on track and keep pushing

keep us updated!
Lunchbucket

Tat2demon
04/20/2006, 06:41 AM
Its sad to see things like this happen but I did get a good laugh out of it.

Not because your tank nuked but becaue your goby lived.

My 65gal melted down 5 times for different reasons. Neglect, Brooklynella, serious ich problem, but mostly neglect. All 5 times everything died. All coral, fish, inverts. Everything except my Yellow Watchman Goby! He has been with me for 3 years now.

He is now sitting over at Grants waiting for me to finish my new setup. Hes the ultimate bulletproof fish. :rollface:

Ben1287
04/20/2006, 11:05 PM
Major bummer, same happened to me, but the heater that fried my nano (5.5gal.) was only a few months old. Surprised the s*** out of me because it was a tronic, they usually hold up pretty good.

Ben

Zeman
04/21/2006, 10:04 AM
Thank you all for your condolences,,

I put tow clowns in the tank and they seem to be dooing fine, I need to have my water checked all levels, before I think about putting coral back in the tank.
(grant when are you free).............
Have fun at the meeting I will be in deadwood playing poker so i can win enough money to rebuild my tank.

THANKS

John

Zeman
04/24/2006, 09:27 AM
Grant can you call me I need to get a hold of you today

Lunchbucket
04/24/2006, 08:25 PM
Zeman - anything we can help w/?

Lunchbucket

tangdiver
04/25/2006, 07:14 AM
I got him his replacement items. I felt bad, the company will do nothing to help out except replace heater...so I decided to help get him started back.

I gave him free of charge, a hairy mushroom, two frags of candy coral, two nice frags of star polyps, two huge pieces of xenia (both kinds to take over his tank), a nice piece of zooanthid and button polyps, and a yellow tang as a nice jester, to get him started. I know I did not have to, most places would say tough luck, but I am trying to be as helpful as I can and keep people in the hobby. A heater blowing up can be a huge blow to a new person, I know, I had it done and at the time just a hobbyist. The store at the time just told me to take it up with the manufacturer, they had not liability. Which was true, but I felt they could give me a little something to get it restarted. That is why I am trying to be different. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for all the support,

Grant C. Anderson
Oceans of the Midwest, Inc.

tangdiver
04/25/2006, 07:24 AM
If others want to help out I know John will be willing to take other frags to get his tank started again, or might even purchase some frags if price is right? Give him a PM if you have anything for free or sale...cheap....

The store at the time just told me to take it up with the manufacturer, they had not liability.

I ment the store at the time just told me to take it up with the manufacturer, they had no liability. Not.....they had not liability....need spell check and sentance checker...

Grant

Lunchbucket
04/25/2006, 07:56 AM
WOW!! nice Grant. you wouldn't have to do anything...not like you made the heater :D but it was awefully nice that you helped out. you gave a LOT away for nothing! i'm sure it will come around in sales in the future. every store i know would try to sell you 200bucks in stuff to get restarted instead you gave him a lot of stuff.

i'm glad we have a good store around here
Lunchbucket

reefguy888
04/25/2006, 10:34 PM
I feel that pain. Had a similar issue years ago. Home depot sells a GFI that you plug into a regular outlet. It has three extensions. I have used it ever since my "accident"

kau_cinta_ku
04/25/2006, 11:18 PM
wow that was very nice of you Grant. as was said most places would just try to sell you a bunch of stuff to get going again, you went way beyond anyplace i know of. but my offer still stands even though all my frags are gone i can still cut you off some shrooms and a kenya tree or 2

Zeman
04/28/2006, 10:11 PM
Thank you Grant, so that means your not sending me a bill.....

Just to let you all know the good effort was in vain, all the corals died again, I think that the heater gave off some sort of chemical along with the shock. The zenia died right a way, the fish are fine, I got some more water to do another water change, and then I filled my cannister filter full of carbon, In a few weeks I will do an other water change then try some more xenia, hope fully the harmful chemical is gone,

If any ou you have ideas what could be in my water and killing coral, let me know, the water in in safe limits under the normal tests.

Lunchbucket
04/28/2006, 10:18 PM
why not try some polyfilter. that stuff is supposed to remove a lot of stuff.

i would hold off on adding ANYTHING. let the tank settle back out. what are you levels and what test kits?

wonder what is in the water? i'd do a water change everyweek of 20% or so. add carbon, add a polyfilter and it hsould clear up

Lunchbucket

Susan J.
04/29/2006, 10:11 PM
I just read your thread on your tank. I am so sorry to hear about your situation, bummer. I too, have gone through several crashes freshwater mostly one with my saltwater. I live just down the road to the west of you about 16 miles. I have some zoo frags and some red mushroom that are indestructable. I would be willing to give you if you like,when your ready. Just drop me a line if your intrested.:( :sad1:

Zeman
05/03/2006, 02:07 PM
Thank you all, I did a water change and put in carbon, The mushrooms look of the candy??, and the buttons look like they might make it, On a good note i havent seen andy ich, The fish look good the two clowns sleep in the fuzzy mushroom.

Thanks again to all