PDA

View Full Version : Anyone intereted in a group order from Oceans Motion??

Mr James
04/19/2006, 11:41 AM
I'll set it up in the same fashion that other reef clubs are doing. From what I have read from other clubs (Michigan and South Carolina) it works something like this:

1. Everyone would PayPal myself (or another appointed person of trustworthy status) the amount of a motorized unit from OM ( http://www.oceansmotions.com/ ) including the $3.??% PayPal charge on sending money.

2. I would stay in constant communication with OM during the whole process. They (OM) have done many group orders so I am sure they are good at it by now. I would submit the order to OM.

3. OM would ship it out. I read that one can pay extra money for shipping to another place, other than where the group buy is going. For instance, if you lived in New Jersey and wanted to get in on the Florida group buy, you would pay a little extra to have it sent to you. Pretty simple huh??

I believe that we have to be patient and trust the person collecting the money. Michigan's group buy went very well. SC's group buy was a little rough, but still worked out. There was a lot of upset people because the trust and the patience wasn't there. I am sure there are other group buys that have gone smoothly.

Check out some of these figures from the South Carolina thread:

5-10 units gets 15% discount and 11 or more gets 20% so all you would need is min. 5 people to get a discount.

"The average delivery cost for a single 4 Way or 8 Way (6 pounds) is $18.00 - $22.00
A single OM Squirt & Super Squirt (2 pounds) averages - $12.00 - $18.00"

"I'll go with "Super Squirt Version 2" for $195.
At 15% off + paypal fees (3.9%) = $172.21
At 20% off + paypal fees (3.9%) = $162.08"

The above prices are from the south Carolina group buy.

If you are interested, please post here.

Mr James
04/19/2006, 02:10 PM
Here is some information:

Michigan group buy post:
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25546

Southern California group buy (sorry South Carolina folks, I read it wrong):
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=806587

Let's collect names first, then collect money and place the order. During that time, I can contact Paul at OM and confirm nuumbers with him. But first we have to get at least 11 people to commit.

1. Mr James...........OM Squirt pre-wired
12. etc...

nyvp
04/25/2006, 04:47 PM
sent you email

Mr James
04/26/2006, 08:00 AM
I won't be able to read it until tonight, care to resend it as a PM??

BeanAnimal
04/26/2006, 08:14 AM
I am interested on an OM SS (compact version) but in all honesty do not want to wait 3 months for this to get sorted out. I notice that some of the other clubs wokred on them for 6 months or so.

Bean

Mr James
04/26/2006, 09:27 AM
That is why we need to get the word out and advertise beyond the reef clubs. I posted in the Lighting,and Filtration forum to try and rake as many people in as possible. I, too, don't want to wait that long. I my just give it up and either pay the extra amount or go with something different.

BeanAnimal
04/26/2006, 09:34 AM
Well the mods will likely remove these posts from the general forums anyway.... though this is a product only sold from the OEM, so I don't see there being a "competition" issue.

Mr James
04/26/2006, 09:49 AM
Aren't you a non-self-proclaimed expert of pumps?? Can you answer a question for me please?? If not, I'll just cut abd oaste it into the correct forum. I have a 90g RR tank. I bought a Dart hoping to configure it into the system, but I now feel I overshot it by a mile. I wanted it to be my return, but also to feed a chiller that is mounted outside ( through the wall behind the tank, out on the deck). What external pump would you recommend for a return and to feed that chiller?? I want to stay with a Sequence mainly for the power consumption reasons. Should I consider a Wahoo or Tarpin?? Wanna buy a never-seen-water-Dart??

BeanAnimal
04/26/2006, 10:28 AM
I am by no means a "pump expert". I simply understand how they work and why.

Without knowing more about your setup it is hard to say what type of flow you will need (or get). The Dart has a fairly high flow for the power consumed. The newer sequence pumps are not as efficient with regards to flow. They are however rated at a much higher pressure. You may want to consider 2 seperate pumps, 1 for return and 1 for the chiller. You will have more control of the flow that way. The dart may also be too much for the reef ready, but then again I don't know much about them (reef ready tanks).

Bean

Mr James
04/26/2006, 10:46 AM
All input is good input.

dtaranath
04/27/2006, 02:21 PM
I'm interested in this group buy. I need a 4-way. But I also don't want to wait several months for this.

Mr James
04/27/2006, 02:37 PM
It looks like a dead end. Although, with you, (dtaranath), BeanAnimal,and myself, that is 3. I think it is a dead end. Besides, I just blew my wad on a complete 180g system.

BeanAnimal
04/27/2006, 02:53 PM
You may have better luck with your local club. Group buys work best when all of the people live in teh same area and a trusted person (club member for example) can handle the transaction.

dtaranath
04/27/2006, 02:56 PM
oh well. I guess I'll try the philly area club. Although I don't know many of them, and I think I trust you guys more.

...Especially since my calfo overflow came out awesome. :D

Mr James
04/27/2006, 03:33 PM
Hey,I looked for... wait, is there such thing as a Calfo Return or something like that??

dtaranath
04/27/2006, 04:00 PM
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or you really don't know.

dtaranath
04/28/2006, 07:44 AM
well, since the group buy died here, try this one:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=822542

Mr James
04/28/2006, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7260715#post7260715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dtaranath
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or you really don't know.

Not sarcasm. I know there is the Calfo Overflow, but I thought I saw something about a Calfo Retrun?!?