PDA

View Full Version : best place to buy LR locally

zeblisik
04/19/2006, 07:58 AM
hey, can anyone suggest some decent LR locally? not too expensive please!

Or should I just do it online?

I only need about 30 lbs

charile1
04/19/2006, 12:31 PM
check out manhattanreefs.com. Someone is always selling live rock.

Earl111
04/19/2006, 12:46 PM
I was in Fishtown USA the other day in queens and they have some nice rock for 3.99 lb. Usually it has no color at all, just brown. But these looked really nice. He said it was Kalleni and it was full of Pink coraline. A lot nicer than the stuff he usually has

xoomer
04/23/2006, 05:10 PM
The live rock FishTownUSA has is of good quality. I have purchased from them before and it quickly colonized with great stuff making it impossible to distinguish between old and the new rock I have added.

However, I went there about 3 weeks ago (begining of April) and the price went up from $3.99 to $4.99. I bought some rubble for my fuge and its great but then again, I would have been happier with $3.99 a pound.

LeslieS
05/18/2006, 07:00 PM
That was great advise. Thanks to everyone!

Here is more info about my tank and goals:

dimensions 32" high x 18" wide x 48" long
I would like to keep soft corals, invertibrates, and someday a seahorse :-)

my chiller is inline and will not be under the tank - Noted on the separate controller for the heater. I will definitely add that to my order.

The LFS guy assures me that the T5 units will be adequate. He also reminded me that I asked to keep my tank entirely enclosed as I have 7 cats. If the T5's are no good, is there another option besides metal halides?

Thanks for the overwhelming advise r.e. the skimmer. LFS guy said the 125 was the only one that would fit in my cabinet. I agreed to consider a skimmer that sits outside the cabinet, and he suggested a 6500S from Marine Technical Concepts.

I really want the TBS live rock so I am still going to add my rock in 2 parts. I have heard great things about the life on the rocks, and I like the idea that it is not scavenged from a reef.

The live sand I have on order is not really from an aquarium or holding tank. It comes in bags and has bacteria in it. Any thoughts on that?

Noted on the test kit info. I have made the appropriate changes to my order. Thanks!

Also, I have the water purifier and am busy "making" water. Sorry that I forgot to mention it.

Thanks again for all of the advise!!!

zeblisik
05/18/2006, 07:21 PM
LeslieS,

Did you post in the wrong thread? I don't see a whole lot of advice! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7393426#post7393426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieS
That was great advise. Thanks to everyone!

Here is more info about my tank and goals:

dimensions 32" high x 18" wide x 48" long
I would like to keep soft corals, invertibrates, and someday a seahorse :-)

Seahorses are very delicate animals and cant be kept w/ lots of corals and other inverts.

The LFS guy assures me that the T5 units will be adequate. He also reminded me that I asked to keep my tank entirely enclosed as I have 7 cats. If the T5's are no good, is there another option besides metal halides?

T5s should be good enough for most things youre keeping. You can always keep the light hungry animals higher up. It would be unlikely that you could keep clams, most like the bottom.

I really want the TBS live rock so I am still going to add my rock in 2 parts. I have heard great things about the life on the rocks, and I like the idea that it is not scavenged from a reef.

Instead of going into the whole story try reading "Reef Invertebrates" by calfo and fenner. But I will say live rock is not taking directly from the reef. It's a byproduct of the reef itself, renewable at that.

The live sand I have on order is not really from an aquarium or holding tank. It comes in bags and has bacteria in it. Any thoughts on that?

Stay away from that! There's no life in there! Get a fine grade dry sand, aragonite is best(better than other calcerous sands since it will dissipate into water at high PH levels and thus buffer your water). The dry sand will be seeded by your live rock, it will aquire bacteria and creepy crawlies. It just takes time.

LeslieS
05/18/2006, 08:09 PM
Oops! Still new to posting, and I had two different pages open. Thanks for the advise though!!! I will definitely not spend the extra on the not really "live sand."