PDA

View Full Version : 1200 Gal @ Lee Reads

heedicus
04/27/2002, 11:30 AM
hello all,
I was out at the home depot in meridian and saw the Lee Reads store across the street and went over to check out the aquarium. Has anyone seen that???? It looked pretty cool but it seemed they had a whole lot of different types of tangs that i thought were not incompatible. they had a couple sailfin, yellow tang, powder blue and a whole bunch of others, are they all compatible together and with all those corals? it seemed a whole lot of the meat on some of those corals were eaten up. anyone seen it?
tren

kgross
04/27/2002, 03:27 PM
You can mix a lot of different fish in a very large tank like that, and if you have enough money to replace items regularly.

The tank does look very nice but you need to remember that Larry is able to put quite a bit of money into replacement items to make sure it looks nice for the public.

Kim

Idaho Bob
04/30/2002, 02:51 PM
That is quite a tank, isn't it? I noticed a couple of interesting things about it. It is acrylic, with very thick walls, and has no algae on the walls, and no scratches in the acrylic. He's got something figured out!

Some of the critters are huge, and spreading all over the surrounding rock. As I recall, there were no shrimp. I wonder why not? No sand at all, either.

For many months there was an ad for a custom designer of acrylic tanks in FAMA, using a photo of the Lee Reed tank. I don't know if they are still running it.

Anybody know Lee to get us a tour "behind the scenes" of his aquarium? I'd love a tour.

heedicus
04/30/2002, 04:22 PM
yea i thought it was a pretty sweet tank, make me quite jealous. i was there for a while the other day, and i did see i think like three skunk shrimp running around in there. i actually got to see one cleaning off one of the poweder blue tangs.
shoot i would love a behind the scenes, i am really curious what kind of lighting they are using to light such a deep tank???

jurisnipper
04/30/2002, 04:45 PM
I talked to Larry about it one day I was in there. He said that he started the tank "reef-only," but got sick and tired of people asking where the fish were...so he added the fish. Some people just don't appreciate inverts. ;)

golfsuper
05/04/2002, 03:30 PM
Hey guys,

Bryan and I took a "tour" of the filtration system in the back room. We asked him if a tank tour to his place was a possibility and he said sure as long as we scheduled in advance and near closing time. That was over a year ago, but I could check to see if the offer still stands.

golfsuper

heedicus
05/04/2002, 06:55 PM
that would be sweet, but please not schedule it on a THURS!!!
=)
t