PDA

View Full Version : killed my favorite fish today

Pallan
04/16/2006, 02:35 PM
well just on here to vent. im still an idiot newbie and getting frustrated fast.
my powder brown has been fighting ich for awhile now. and today he was really broken out in it. i heated up some RO water to fresh water bath him. to geve him some relief and hopefully continue fighting off the ich he instantly died. temp was a match but guess what i forgot. #@!##$#$ PH. yes i killed my fishy.
well no more freshwater baths for me stupid impatient idea. God i hate this hobby sometimes.
hoping to get my sump/fuge up and going in a week or two, then ill move all canister filters etc to my old 45 gallon and set up a QT tank. from there i can look into hyposalinity if i have any fish left at that point $#%^#@# hobby why cant one thing go right. Loved that fish.

Grant im gonna need a powder brown soon, My daughters gonna kill me when she gets home from easter. PM me a cost on one if you can. ill probably wait a few weeks at least to see if anyone else picks up the ick.

sleeperls
04/16/2006, 03:05 PM
dont feel bad my g/f prize blue hippo that i got from grant last week is showing some signs of sickness. hopefully he pulls through.

creslin2
04/16/2006, 04:06 PM
happens to us all. I lost 2 golden dojo's when I first started. Bought one, he lived about 3 weeks, bought another, didn't last 2 days. No idea what went wrong, pH was good, water quality was good, temp was middling for their species. *shrug* Heck, even once in a while I'll come home and look at Herbie (current golden dojo) and he'll be in some really bizarrely unnatural position, and I don't see his gills moving at all. I watch for like 5 minutes, no movement. Then he'll just jolt and swim away. Almost stops my heart. The other day he did that, tail fin along the bottom of the tank, and he was bent in half, with his head and upper body pointing straight up, slightly swaying in the current. Perfect look of a dead fish. :( After about 5 min, he just jolted and swam off, looking for food. Dunno if he was in some sort of fishy trance, or maybe he was sleeping. *shrug* Creepy and scary.

tangdiver
04/16/2006, 04:17 PM
Man, I am not sure on the tang...but it happens to us all...even mine...purple tang one day clear...the next a few spots...same with other blue hippo...might need more weed on my part....sea weed not the smoking kind...might work...doubt it....

Well to much to eat today...not thinking straight.

Grant

Travis
04/16/2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry to hear Pallan. Don't worry, it happens to us all whether we are newbies or oldies. That is why the best thing to do is Quarantine all livestock before it goes into your display. That way if anything comes up it can be treated first without infecting anything else in the display.

As for the FW bath, I've never done one but I would think that it would be better to use dechlorinated tap water rather than RO or RO/DI. Kind of hard to explain but RO is so pure that it is somewhat "caustic" and will be more stressful on the fish. Dechlorinated tapwater is a lot more "gentle". I would also be sure to remember to adjust the PH using baking soda to lower it and kalkwasser or pickling lime to raise it. Lastly, I would aerate the water for 30 minutes with an air pump and air stone prior to the dip.

Pallan
04/17/2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys for the support and ideas.
it was a stupid rushed i want immediate gratification fix that blew up in my face. shoulda known better.
anyway.
Travis, I think we know one of the same people. I work with stewart. he is actually one of the ones that pointed me in this direction. I least i think this is the right Travis. if not nevermind. LOL

Travis
04/18/2006, 12:12 AM
Yup, this is the right Travis.:)

CHUCKSD
04/18/2006, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7187891#post7187891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pallan
well just on here to vent. im still an idiot newbie and getting frustrated fast.
my powder brown has been fighting ich for awhile now. and today he was really broken out in it. i heated up some RO water to fresh water bath him. to geve him some relief and hopefully continue fighting off the ich he instantly died. temp was a match but guess what i forgot. #@!##$#$ PH. yes i killed my fishy.
well no more freshwater baths for me stupid impatient idea. God i hate this hobby sometimes.
hoping to get my sump/fuge up and going in a week or two, then ill move all canister filters etc to my old 45 gallon and set up a QT tank. from there i can look into hyposalinity if i have any fish left at that point $#%^#@# hobby why cant one thing go right. Loved that fish.

Grant im gonna need a powder brown soon, My daughters gonna kill me when she gets home from easter. PM me a cost on one if you can. ill probably wait a few weeks at least to see if anyone else picks up the ick.

Sorry about your loss... I know it sucks. I have an acro that I had to take to Grant to be fragged up in an effort to save it.
(Big thanks to Grant on that one btw as I have been working very long hours and traveling - i.e. no time to frag it out).

In any case,
I wanted to mention that you may want to try a UV sterilizer (or have one on hand) as I had an ich issue after adding a new fish (prior to Grant's shop) and it became infested within a week of going to the main. I added the sterilizer and it stopped the outbreak completely and the fish was able to come around. Since then I have left the unit on full time and have not had any other outbreaks. I know the ICH is usually a sign of something else that is wrong (bad water, heat/cold etc) but in my case it was a new fish.. It will nuke c-pods etc but I don't really care about them so much.. just a thought..
CS