PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Clown Gobies

Bigjohn
04/26/2002, 08:48 PM
I am going to have my 2nd batch of baby gobies tomorrow nite. The first batch did not make it. They are spawning in my main tank and I cannot seem to get them to spawn on tile or rock. They have found a dark place in the corner on the glass.

I have lots of green water with wild plankton, rotifers, etc. But apparently, yellow gobies can't eat rotifers for a week or so because the rotifers are too big.

So what do I do to feed them? Is there a saltwater variety of infusoria?

I have Roti-Rich product to feed bbs and rotifers. Would this be sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

mlw
04/27/2002, 10:59 AM
John-
In my experience with G. histrio and G. citrinus the larvae are roughly 2.6 mm at first feeding which presents some challenges in procuring a small enough food in large enough quantities. You mentioned access to wild plankton, if you can sieve this to < 40 microns and keep the density of food organisms up to 20/mL. Ciliates can be used since they can be cultured in high densities from a neglected rotifer culture and boosted with the same microalgae and HUFA supplements. Rotifers, early stage, just hatchd rotifers, work as well. The so called S strain (Brachionus rotundiformis) has a good chance of producing small enough offspring. In grouper culture many people simply load the tank with a high density of rotifers (~25/mL). In this density, rotifers procreate exponentially producing small prey organisms that can be utilized by first feeding larvae. High mortalities are common and high food densities are key. The green water technique of adding live microalgae to the rearing chamber aids in larval survival for the first week or so.
matt