PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my pump

coralfarmer84
04/13/2006, 03:41 PM
I have a gen-x pump that is submerisible and it was rated at 1600 gpa and it was really doing a great job at first. now like 5 months later i can literally observe that it is not pushing half of what it used to. I took it out and cleaned all the inlets and such but it doesn't seem to be working much better. Is there anything I can do?

I'm thinking about getting a tunze stream now to help add some flow. Which do you guys recommend. Is it that important to have a controller for the pump?

STACKER
04/14/2006, 06:39 AM
Pull the return line and make sure it's not obstructed. Youj could also have a damaged impeller or snail shell stuck.

I designed and built a stream modification for Maxi-Jet pumps (600-1200) that I've been selling to a few guys from reefsites. At $30 plus $15 for a MJ pump is alot cheaper than a tunze. It's not the bling but they work. I've had one runningin my tank for over a month (only pump) and growth has really kicked up and flow equals the tunze units.

They put out low pressure/high flow at about 700-800 GPH. 1 on a MJ-900 makes nice medium flow in my 120.

First proto

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/stackr/other/DSCF6023.jpg

Current version (unpainted) that 3 others a using/testing.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/stackr/other/DSCF6043.jpg

The final modification I'm working on lets it work with a wave timer (these try to start backward 50% of the time so I need to add a reverse stop).

2 would handle your 240 no problem. I have video caps from my tank if you want to see how the flow increased. LMK

coralfarmer84
04/14/2006, 02:39 PM
so those are only 45 bucks a piece? are they quiet? I'm very interested stack but I have dial up and a video clip would take a century to download. Maybe i can just come see your tank in action and then pick them up if you have a couple handy..... LMK because i want to increase the flow real soon.
How big are they... they look nice and small which is what i'm looking for

hookedonfish
04/14/2006, 06:08 PM
Stacker,

I need to place an order for one of your stream's a local guy wants to purchase one asap. (a 900 pump). Have one in stock?
I see your still bashing the kid (84)..........You guys crack me up. He's starting to make some comments about your age and I'm older than you? Hey 84 try cleaning the inside of the pump.

STACKER
04/15/2006, 06:51 AM
Ryan, I have a complete setup (Maxijet 1200, mount, and mod installed) but the pump is Ryan Baxters. I'll sell you the unit but you'll have to pay 30 for my stuff plus the cost of a replacement 1200 ($18.00 plus shipping) unless you can come up with a maxijet.

The unit is 3" long x 1.5" wide x 2" deep. The only mounts I have made hold the pump about 1/2" away from the glass. They aren't totally silent but very quiet. The current model also does not work on a wave timer (they randomly try to start in reverse so a timer is unusable). I'll fix that problem as soon as I get time. I'm heading to a customers plant to do an install that will take most of the day, and tomorrow is Easter so If you want one of these we can get you one tonite or next week. Buz my celly 330-719-3530 and we'll go from there. Leave a voicemail and I'll call back when I get out of the plant.

Paul, I have one of my 900's from home that I can modify and I'll need to quickly make a mounting bracket (take about an hr.) Let me know if you want one today and I'll get the parts made when I get back here this afternoon.

hookedonfish
04/15/2006, 08:27 AM
I have him set up temporarly, If you could have one by monday evening it would be great.

STACKER
04/15/2006, 12:43 PM
No problem.

coralfarmer84
04/15/2006, 06:21 PM
I'll be calling you stack. I def want one maybe two. We'll see plus i want to see your tank :)

STACKER
04/17/2006, 06:18 AM
Well, I need a donor Maxi-Jet pump for each unit it I have to buy them and add it to the cost. I can turn around a modification in a day if I have a pump in my possession, if not it will take a week to get the pump ordered and delivered.

coralfarmer84
04/17/2006, 12:33 PM
well can you order me one pump for now? and then let me know when its done.... if not where can i get one to get to you?

coralfarmer84
04/17/2006, 02:14 PM
Stack i changed my mind, I need two pumps asap please. I know your a busy guy but my pump has officially crapped itself and my sps colonies are not enjoying the trickle that was one 1600 gpa. Please let me know as soon as possible and in the meantime i'm gonna borrow a pump from mike. Thanks

STACKER
04/18/2006, 05:42 AM
Ryan, I have one which would help! I'm building 4 units today (make that 6). I'll get pumps and parts ordered today but I'm at the mercy of delivery for your second unit. Complete units are $50 plus 6 beers if I have to deliver :). Mods only are $30 plus the 6 pack!!!

Like I said, I have complete MJ-200 unit ready to go now. and I'll get the parts on the way.

coralfarmer84
04/18/2006, 12:40 PM
I'll call you later tonight when your outta work and maybe i can swing by and pick up the one you have in the meantime. Thanks and since you didn't specify which beer of choice you wanted I bought you some A&W Root Beer lol in cans of course to save money lol

STACKER
04/19/2006, 07:34 AM
Smartass! I hope the pump fails and electrocutes your tank for that! LOL

I ordered a 1/2 dozen 900's, 10 impellers, props and new 316 Stainless to replace the 304. As soon as I get the stainless I'll make sure you get the upgraded part.

coralfarmer84
04/19/2006, 02:37 PM
I hope you ordered me another 1200 right? or should i purchase it myself, where can i get it for the price your paying. And the new pump works great, its giving my corals hell lol. Thanks a lot, just let me know when the new stuff comes in.

STACKER
04/20/2006, 05:34 AM
I ordered pumps yesterday and I already have to order more. Once people see these everyone wants one or 2. and they all want the whole package. I won't see any pumps until Mon. or Tue. probably... then add a day to that for assembly and paint.

Oh BTW, i can to the same mod to Penguin's.... Sweet!!!!!!!

coralfarmer84
04/20/2006, 01:22 PM
cool, that will be fine because i've got enough flow in the meantime to get me that far. Now on to the barbeque at stacks house!! :D I like my steaks medium well with a side of beautiful women - think you can handle all that by monday?

STACKER
04/20/2006, 02:35 PM
I don't BBQ steaks, I BBQ ribs, pork shoulder, or chicken. Steaks are grilled! Sheesh! Looks like delivery will be Mon. or Tue. on the latest order. I'll have all the pcs. done for 16 units over the weekend with 8 already spoken for. This crap is cutting into my beer time! I'm off to till the garden then hit the golf course!!! Did I mention BEER time!!!!

coralfarmer84
04/20/2006, 07:26 PM
hey if i'm still around this fall we'll have to go bow hunting together. I hunt just like Dick Cheney thou lol

STACKER
04/21/2006, 09:28 AM
Not funny! that idiot "F'd" up hunting and got more anti-hunting/shooting advocates all cranked up again.

When I get your second 1200 built you should bring your Gen-X punp over when you come so I can take a look at it. Should be early next week when I get the new batch of parts in.

coralfarmer84
04/21/2006, 02:01 PM
Yea I'll bring it with me. I've just got to pull it out of the tank again because its still pumping a lil.

STACKER
04/23/2006, 10:40 AM
"pumping a lil"

That's what Jess says about you!!! LOLOLOLOL

Couldn't help myself dude! LMFAO

coralfarmer84
04/23/2006, 06:49 PM
haha thats better than no pumping at all right?

STACKER
04/24/2006, 09:28 AM
Definately!

I went out turkey hunting this AM with a buddy and his son. Had 4 coming in but I think they busted Zack moving because they froze up about 75 yds. out then wandered off. Next time I'm hunting alone....

coralfarmer84
04/24/2006, 01:26 PM
I forgot i had a hunting license. never usually go in the spring. Turkey are pretty sneaky. this fall i'll teach you how to hunt lol

STACKER
04/25/2006, 06:06 AM
Yer funny! No, Really! Har Har... I was killing critters with a recurve before you were born. Then again, unlike some I NEVER stop learning. We'll if you have any skills other than running yer mouth (very good at that I must say) LOLOLOL