PDA

View Full Version : Pom Pom Crabs

JxMetal
04/10/2006, 09:52 PM
Could somebody enlighten me on Pom Pom Crabs? Let me know what you know about them. Most people say they're fine.

Will they do well with other crabs? emerald, porcelin?

How often will they sting corals? fish? other inverts?

The tank is all softies/zoos/shrooms

The steven liu
04/10/2006, 11:05 PM
Pompom crabs are basically crabs with walking anemone. I'd like to say due to their size it'll be hard for them to get along with other larger crabs like emerald or sally light foot. And yes they will sting corals. And they aren't exactly reefsafe since they will pick up whatever crustacean they can pick up with their anemone fists.

Javeo
04/11/2006, 05:33 PM
Pom pom or boxer crabs are, in my opinion, totally reef safe. They are very shy though and you will be lucky to catch a glimpse of it now and again. I have one and it has never bothered anything or been bothered by anything. The anemones they hold are tiny and they wont really go after ornamental invertabrates at all. I have seen mine mopping up bits from the sand and rocks and mysis when i feed the tank. They are very beutiful and interesting on the other hand, and watching them wave the anemones at the cleaner shrimp is very funny. I have kept it with a huge emerald crab, the pom pom is smaller that one of the emeralds claws but they had no problems.

Letmegrow
04/11/2006, 06:01 PM
Very awesome, too small to harm anything, I kept one for years.

JxMetal
04/11/2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds good to me so far!

Javeo
04/11/2006, 08:10 PM
Especially interesting is when they moult. They put the anemones on a rock, quickly moult and grab up the anemones again.