PDA

View Full Version : Berghia Nudibranchs

Sea Hunter
04/08/2006, 04:13 PM
I'm looking at ordering a few of these from Salty underground and figured I'd see if anyone else needed any and wanted to go in on the shipping? Probably going to be placing the order sometime after next friday. Let me know.

as you guessed I have a bunch of aiptasia in my tank. lol

thanks

NYBen
04/08/2006, 04:25 PM
I may be up for a few... I'll let you know.

darkwaterdevil
04/08/2006, 10:58 PM
sorry cant have them

upstatedave
04/09/2006, 09:16 PM
hi....I am Dave from CDMAS....you guys might want to read up on berghia...as I understand it they only eat aptasia...and if there are none they will starve...I have read threads where a club will buy one and pass it from person to person...I also have read they are quite efficient at what they do...hungry lil buggers...by the way.best of luck with your new reef club....I look forward to meeting in the future......

NYBen
04/09/2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dave, I was actually going to suggest the same thing. The only reason I didn't is because a couple of our members have 220's and finding them might be a chore. But it's definatley something to think about.

upstatedave
04/09/2006, 10:52 PM
yuppers...finding them in a 220 will be a task....at least once you do find them they are easy to catch...unlike say a .......tang....lol

Sea Hunter
04/10/2006, 04:40 AM
If you guys want to try that route thats fine with me as well.

NYBen
04/10/2006, 07:56 AM
I'd be in for 2 + my share of shipping. If they do their job, I'd be happy to sell them to another group member once I'm done.

Sea Hunter
04/10/2006, 05:37 PM
Called Animal house today to see if they could order some from there suppliers (to save on shipping) but I guess they wont have any till end of may.

I'll probably get 3 or 4 when we order from saltyunderground.

RhodeIslandReef
04/11/2006, 10:42 PM
Good luck trying to find them after a week or so. Berghia are nocturnal and usually are hidden quite well in holes in the live rock during the day. They are also pretty prone to getting sucked up into the powerheads because they like to explore the water line for some reason.

A better idea would be to set up a seperate tank and try to breed them to erradicate your aiptasia. Just keep them well fed in a five gallon tank or small containers with an air pump and heater. They lay eggs pretty quickly and once you get some to hatch and grow to decent size move the original ones to your display tank to munch the aiptasia there.

Here is a link to more info:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/ac/feature/index.php

Sea Hunter
04/12/2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks Rhodeislandreef, I'll have to keep that in mind when I order some.

Also I've trying to kill off the aptasia with a syringe(sp) and vinager. Seems to work real well with the ones I can reach.