PDA

View Full Version : Pepermint Shrimp Question

ttomkat1
04/07/2006, 12:04 PM
Well I have been having aiptasia problems and am tired of buying and using Joe's Juice so I bought a couple of pepermint shrimp.

Since putting them in the tank, one shrimp I cannot seem to ever find and the other hides in the top corner of my tank between the glass and the powerhead. I knock him down and chase him away, but in 30 seconds he is back.

Is this behaviour common for pepermint shrimp?
Besides just removing my powerhead (which I need), any other ideas?

Thx for the help

---ttomkat1

Bkndsdl
04/07/2006, 12:12 PM
Leave them alone. Mine don't come out until nighttime or sometimes feeding time, but I don't have one single piece of aptasia in my tank.

Or you could inject them with either the alkalinity part of B-Ionic (which I have done several times with great success), or hot water using a syringe.....

I'd just give the shrimp a little time to work.

74nautique
04/07/2006, 12:16 PM
They are going to find a spot to live and will stay there most of the time, they are nocturnal, so if you're wanting to see them eat aiptasia, try in the middle of the night (lights off).

ttomkat1
04/07/2006, 02:52 PM
Alrighty, I will quite buggin my little shrimp.

thanks for the help

---ttomkat1

gary faulkner
04/07/2006, 09:18 PM
ttomkat1
[welcome]

Yes this is normal behavior for peps. I introduced 2 of the critters to my 120 and now I am free of aptasia. They cleaned them up in a matter of days. They now eat just about anything that the other inhabitants eat.

piranhaking
04/16/2006, 12:35 AM
I have personally witnessed them eating pods too. I was at a friends house, and we saw one of his pepermints poking around in a hole in a rock and in a second it pulled out a large pod and began to eat it.