PDA

View Full Version : UPS anyone?

CHUCKSD
04/06/2006, 11:44 PM
Hi all,
I am curious as to your experience with battery backup (UPS)?
As this storm continues to flex its muscles I am wondering why I haven't addressed my power failure risk yet :)

So,
If you have one please speak up..
What size?
What does it power?
Expense (Grant any options through you?)

I was also wondering if any Tank component would cause a problem with a UPS as a laser printer will.

I am also considering a gas powered unit as well...

Thanks,
Chuck

Travis
04/07/2006, 12:09 AM
Good topic, especially considering the thunderstorm season is upon us.:)

I am in the same boat, I have no UPS or generator in place yet.:( I keep procrastinating this, but plan to pick up a generator this summer. Grant, could you please post a link to the generators you were telling me about?

Last summer I lost power to my tank twice. The first time, a drunk lady ran into a power line pole at 2:30 am, which knocked out the power for 8 hours.:( The second time, a grandma fell asleep and ran into a power line pole, which took out the power for about 5 hours. Short term outages like these aren't usually anything to worry about, unless someone's tank is overstocked with fish, which will suck up all the remaining O2 in no time. But it is always best to be prepared for the worst. Especially considering how much we all have invested in our tanks.

tangdiver
04/07/2006, 07:47 AM
duropower.com

I have one ready willing and able...but the extension cords to all peoples houses will be $$ and city will not like them all over...

Grant

CHUCKSD
04/07/2006, 09:02 AM
Travis,
Let me know when you are ready to pull the trigger.. I would like to get the same one if possible. Should make future trouble shooting easier..

Check out this thread.. I may opt for the natural gas option..
This is a good read in that it sounds like not all UPS units are able to support our needs..

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=805486&perpage=25&highlight=UPS%20Generator&pagenumber=1