PDA

View Full Version : Marine worm reference sources?

XeniaMania
04/06/2006, 05:54 PM
I saw this worm today in my tank that I've seen in a previous post but searching through 30 days of posts, I was still unable to find it. It's not like the bristleworms where the front and rear look similar, this was one of those worms where you can tell it was the head, and it looked like it had mandibles. I recall the guy saying the one he had was strong and was able to knock over corals fairly easily. It had a red head that did resemble a beetle. I'd freshwater dip this rock but my Red Sea xenias and my Crocea clam is attached, darn it...:lol:

LeslieH
04/06/2006, 09:11 PM
Try the worm photos here, they may help.
http://www.nhm.org/guana/bvi-invt/bvi-surv/worm-tit.htm

XeniaMania
04/06/2006, 09:27 PM
Ty, I also hate how marine worms have eyes, they can spot me when I spot them and they back off...:lol:

XeniaMania
04/09/2006, 07:09 PM
OK, I saw this worm again today, it's a Eunice worm, pinkish white body with a red tentacles on the head area. I'm assuming it's predatory and perhapse is what has killed my shrimps in the past? I know where it is, as it appeared in the same spot today, so what are my options? I'm leaning towards a hypersalinity dip, I do not worry about the organisms in the rock for I have a strong feeling that I do need to get this guy out. The only problem is my Red Sea xenias and Crocea that are on top of this rock....aigh. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

fijireef
04/09/2006, 10:49 PM
Have you tried to trap it? If not try this..Take an empty cool whip container. Cut an "x" in the top just big enough for eunice to fit. Place bait in container. Pest worm should crawl into to get the food but as he backs out the 'X" will close up on him. He will/should be stuck long enough for you to remove him container & all. And of course be careful!

fijireef
04/09/2006, 10:51 PM
Pictures would be cool too if you catch him. TIA!

Sk8r
04/09/2006, 11:16 PM
Search saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/inverts.

XeniaMania
04/09/2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely post pix once I get it. I always post pictures of the vermins I catch..:D But I can see it's red head, and pinkish body, and my darn tang doesn't help cuz while I'm staring at the worm, it's trying to get me attention to feed it and scares the worm. I'll try trapping it for the next few nights, might get rid of some other stuff while I'm at it, if not, then it's club soda dip.

kmk2307
04/09/2006, 11:33 PM
If you can catch the worm and intend to destroy it, I would love to have it. I TA an Invertebrate zoology lab and I would like to preserve it and keep it in our collection.

Of course I would cover shipping expenses, etc. PM me if you would be interested in sending it to me.

Thanks,
Kevin

XeniaMania
04/10/2006, 04:12 AM
This is exactly what I have. The body was about 1/4" diameter, so it's not that big yet.
http://www.techssentials.com/eunice.jpg