PDA

View Full Version : Question about ich?

crny1
04/03/2006, 02:16 PM
I ahve never seen ich before on any of my fishes. I know i have just gotten luck so far but i think my lucky streak has ended.

I just noticed my foxface Lo is covered in little tiny white spots. these are very tiny almost like micro bubbles that are stuck to him. There are hundreds of spots like chickenpox or something. He is acting fine but with the power outage last night (and its still out) i noticed he was stressed looking (changed color pattern till i got pumps and all back online with generator).

Is this what ich looks like? I always imagined it as more white blotches then tiny specks. He is eating fine now and acting like his normal self.

I know i should have a QT tank but guess what........... it is something that i have neglected (like many others) to do. If this in fact is ich could i put him in my sons FO tank and treat the tank with copper? Wait.....that wont work. The tank is a FOWLR and the copper would kill off the LR. Correct?

I got a 10 gal tank laying around here that i guess i could make a QT tank real fast but until the power comes back on im maxxed out on the generator!

Hmmmmm the dilemma.

Wes

Shooter7
04/03/2006, 04:16 PM
All fish out of the display and into QT, treat with hypo. Leave display fallow for 6 - 8 weeks. There are articles you can read on this in the fish disease forum with pics and how to's, follow instructions carefully. Good luck.

crny1
04/03/2006, 04:52 PM
Well the QT tank is out of the question for atleast 2 days when power is supposed to come back on. Anything else i can do in the meantime till i have enough power to start a QT tank? Reefsafe Meds???
I actually couldnt imagine trying to catch all the fish in the display without tearing out all the corals and rock work. Man what a pain this will be!

Wes

Im Lon 2
04/03/2006, 05:13 PM
PM Steve (Letmegrow) He named some stuff the other day to treat the whole tank, and I'm not sure the name of it now.

My fox faced change colors yesterday to when the power was out.

Hopefully your power comes back on.. Lucky for you, you had some type of power backup..

Shooter7
04/03/2006, 06:29 PM
In the past Steve (letmegrow) has recommended Kent R&P. I don't know if he still does or not. I prefer not to use meds whenever possible and I had very good success using hyposalinity in a QT along with a fallow display for the designated period of time.

I actually couldnt imagine trying to catch all the fish in the display without tearing out all the corals and rock work. Man what a pain this will be!

Don't gamble (i.e. no QT) if you're not willing to pay up when you lose. ;) Some people do fine not QT'ing, and others have major issues. It's the russian roulette of fish keeping. I QT all newcomers.

crny1
04/03/2006, 06:43 PM
I agree whole heartedly about the fact that i should of QT'd but the tang i put in last night doesnt seem to have it. Just the Foxface that has been in there for almost 2 months.

Oh well what is done is done and because of circumstances beyond my control (dam power company) i cannot setup a QT yet and they are saying Wed possibly Thrus before power is restored!

Guess i have to roll the dice this time and hope for the best and if anything i guess i have learned a lesson that i should of known better than not to do!

Wes

Shooter7
04/03/2006, 06:48 PM
If you don't have power then your options irregardless are to just wait it out and try to do what you can to take care of them. I'd be a bit hesitant to try and treat with meds if you don't have any power anyway. If you're going that long without power you may not have much of a tank left anyway. What all fish do you have? Do you have anything in the tank to help oxygenate the water?

crny1
04/03/2006, 08:30 PM
As stated in the 1st post..... i have a portable generator running my 3 tanks....fridge.....tv and im maxxed out on power.

My wife just went and got some NO ICH med that is reef safe and i dont have any options left but to try it.

Wes