PDA

View Full Version : Pederson's Shrimp

Kinetic
04/03/2006, 12:19 PM
Where can I find a Pederson's Shrimp like the one below:
http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1283

How reef safe are they to people's experiences with them?

FuEl
04/03/2006, 01:18 PM
Very reef safe. Your only worry should be fish taking it as a snack. Best to introduce the shrimp into the rockwork, rather than just letting it swim out of the bag. If not your fish (if they are large) will probably think it's mysis.

Kinetic
04/03/2006, 02:11 PM
I think my Emerald Crab ate my last one. He's coming out of the tank. I think he's in the process of molting so I'll try to nab him while he's doing that.

Any idea where I can purchase one? My LFS's say they never get them in, and etropicals.com never stocks them these days.

Kinetic
04/03/2006, 02:30 PM
i read on wetwebmedia that they should always be kept with an anemone? is this true?

Javeo
04/03/2006, 06:22 PM
Yes its better to keep them with an anemone as they are very vunerable to being bullied/eaten by crabs/shrimps/fish. They may also get stressed without a host and this could effect their lifespan.

Kinetic
04/03/2006, 07:00 PM
I will keep one or two in a 5 gallon tank without any other animals other than a couple snails.

I'll see if that's ok. My 5g won't be able to keep an anemone.

Javeo
04/03/2006, 07:07 PM
Ok in that case you could try a sand/flower anemone, they are very small and easy to keep. Even a coral like star polyp or even some macro. Anything that they can hide in.

Kinetic
04/04/2006, 02:46 PM
There are a bunch of caves, but only zoanthids, cloves, and a xenia.

EDIT:
I just bought 4 from etropicals.com. They finally had them in stock! How many can I put in my 5g tank? It has no animals other than a stomalla snail, cerith snail, and a bumblebee snail. It won't get any other animals other than that. If I can only put a few in the tank I will put the rest in my 30G fuge I have hooked up to my 32g. In my 32g they will probably be eaten =P

Thanks!

Javeo
04/04/2006, 03:55 PM
4 should be fine in there, the corals and caves you have will provide plenty of retreats for them. make sure you feed them plenty of thawed mysis and similar foods. Goodluck