PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate kit prob.

kau_cinta_ku
04/03/2006, 02:27 AM
well i bought a nitrate kit from Grant after the last meeting and tested my water and got a reading of around 40ppm. well i did a water change and cleaned out the filters and Sun. i tested again and still got a reading of around 40ppm. thought it was strange, so when i was at Grant's i had him test it with his chrolimeter and the reading was 9.2 . so just wondering if anyone else had the salifert test kit that they could bring to the next meeting so i can double check my test kit? also i put up a thread in the salifert forum to ask Habib so will see what he says also, as i know Melev also had this prob. with one of his kits.

thanks

kau_cinta_ku
04/03/2006, 03:09 AM
well here is what i got back from habib:

Salifert nitrate
Hi,

In a bit of hurry... I will post late on your thread.

The Hach reports it as nitrate-nitrogen which is unit different from what is used in this hobby.

To convert from nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N) to nitrate (NO3) multiply by 4.43.

Doing this give a value of slightly above 40 ppm nitrate.

Here is the lik to how Hach reports it:

http://www.hach.com/hc/view.paramet...70002/SESSIONID|CURBMU1ERTFOVEV6TmlabmRXVnpkRkpRUlE9PUEwNURNVEUwTg==|

HTH

Habib

Grant was i right that you have a Hach chrolimeter? if not could you tell me what brand and also if Habib's statement is right about it reading in nitrate-nitrogen?

also i would still like to double check with someone else's kit as this is really bugging me even more now:(

creslin2
04/03/2006, 03:16 AM
unclear results in testing usually does make people feel uneasy. Speaking from more than a little experience.

tangdiver
04/03/2006, 07:14 AM
Never knew that...news to me. I am learning each and every day...I will check to see if that is correct. Will get back to you.
If that is the case then alot of my readings are higher than I expected... Yikes!

Grant

tangdiver
04/03/2006, 07:22 AM
Yes I have checked manual and it states it as nitrate-nitrogen...so I am seeing that it is not the same. That tells me that your nitrate is high...and mine is higher than I thought. Will have to look into a nitrate reducing sandbed like previously discarded due to thinking I was having perfect water conditions.

Thanks for the update...

Grant

kau_cinta_ku
04/04/2006, 05:51 AM
sorry to have burst your bubble Grant but i am glad you found out something new. as for mine now what else can i do to reduce them? i just added chaeto to my fuge, i do a 10 gal. water change every 2 weeks, i blow the rocks off before every water change, and change my filtration every week, the only thing i don't have much of are sand stiring inverts.

tangdiver
04/04/2006, 07:22 AM
Tell you the truth...well first the good news. You have a great environment for growing softies. They are normally founf in the lagoon areas=cloudy and higher nutrient levels of the oceans. This could be very productive in growing and propagting zoos, mushrooms, toad stools, kenya trees, and many more. Bad news...IMO maybe a total tank tear down...are you not moving all to a larger tank anyways? That would be perfect. You can then rinse all rock, rinse and stir sand, getting all detritis out of them. Do all new saltwater, and aclimate to the new setups parameters. Or if not moving, just do all stated and put back into old tank. Might not be what you want to hear, not sure maybe others will chime in...but even if larger H2O changes are done...still gonna have in rock and sand. Just my opinion though.

Any other ?'s just call or ask.

Grant

kau_cinta_ku
04/04/2006, 07:34 AM
well that explaines why my kenya trees and shrooms are growing like mad:p however yes i am upgrading to the 75 gal. hopefully be running next month. until that time i understand your reasons to do all that. i may do that even if we plan on keeping the 46 gal. running along with the 75 gal. or i may just leave it alone and grow the heck out of my trees and shrooms to trade or sell. in otherwards i have no clue my mind is just spinning and i need sleep:D