PDA

View Full Version : massive water changes recommended?

cvye
04/23/2002, 01:46 PM
I may be missing something from your study...

but it seems to me that this accumulation of these metals could explain "old tank syndrome" where diversity is compromised (above an ecological small island explanation)

... and that very large (like several 75%) water changes should be recommended once or twice a year ...or must we wait for your next article?

And a minor nit...seems to me that you don't really have that many significant digits, do you?

rshimek
04/23/2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by cvye

Hi,

I may be missing something from your study...

but it seems to me that this accumulation of these metals could explain "old tank syndrome" where diversity is compromised (above an ecological small island explanation)

Yes, it could, I will have a better handle on that when we see what turns up in the export study.

... and that very large (like several 75%) water changes should be recommended once or twice a year ...or must we wait for your next article?

I actually don't think they will help a whole lot, our sea water mixes are so overloaded with trace elements, and I think a lot of the really nasty stuff gets sequestered by organisms in metallothioneins and other compounds or accumulates in sediments or on rock.

And a minor nit...seems to me that you don't really have that many significant digits, do you?

Probably 2 at best, but who's counting. :D