PDA

View Full Version : Any frags here in the springs

pouponfrance
03/31/2006, 10:48 PM
There are some good deals up in Denver but I don't feel like the drive. Wondering what we've got down here?

Poupon

calvin415
03/31/2006, 11:49 PM
What are you looking for? I can get you SPS frags if interested...

Deuce67
04/01/2006, 12:12 AM
I live in Peyton. Well Falcon actually. Got some Birdsnest and some purple mille if your interested.

pouponfrance
04/01/2006, 02:20 AM
Well, I'm new to salt and my tank is just about finished cycling. I've had fresh for awhile and unsure of what I want, probably softies but don't want to pay lfs prices. I've got a cleaning crew coming from reeftopia on Monday and want to throw a few corals and maybe a few fish in it this weekend. Suggestions on selection of corals and source for supplements? Seascapes is the closest.

I'm in Meridian Ranch Deuce, seeing that I have null experience w/corals, would those suit me. I'm probably gonna screw something up along the way, Murphy's Law.

Poupon

Deuce67
04/01/2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Poupon! Well since you got null experience, your best bet is some softies to start out with. Maybe some mushrooms or zoanthids. Sorry, I dont have any of those to frag just yet. Just like a freshwater setup, gotta take it slow. Even slower IMO. Please join us if you can on our monthly meetings. We got some guys here including myself that are more than willing to give you any advice that you need. Dates and location are posted and stickied on the top of the forum. Next meeting is at my place and I live off of Falcon Hwy and Curtis Rd area. Hope to see you soon!
Russ

murfman
04/01/2006, 08:54 AM
I'm probably gonna screw something up along the way, Murphy's law.
Poupon [/B]

You better be smiling when you say that !!!!:p

murfman
04/01/2006, 08:56 AM
I have some Zoos and mushrooms you can have. My recommendation is to get your tank established with some live stock first. Adding fish will cause your tank to mini cycle the nitrogen cycle again. what kind of lighting do you have? That is going to dictate what kind of corals you can keep.

pouponfrance
04/01/2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Murf. I've got 6x96 vho. the tank isn't very deep so I won't be getting hallide any time soon. I've got about 1500gph circulating w/the two powerheads on a wave timer. 125gal tank w/about 125lbs of rock and not really any substrate yet, I was thinking about GARF Grunge. Any experience w/it?

I can see where the tank could go through another cycle, I never went through a massive ammonia spike in this tank. I kept 100lbs of already cured rock in another tank for a month or so and just moved it up here a couple of weeks ago. I started off with hardly any ammonia but the nitrites/ates spiked up to 10/20ppm. I think the refugium and the recycled gravel in it was the only reason ammonia read at all. I've got diatom spreading and maybe bubble algae, if so, the emerald crabs will scarf it up when they get here.

Anyway, it's cycled and I'm going to run down to Seascape and grab a few fish today. I'd be more than happy to pay you for the corals murf, I'm no mooch. And, I'll be at the next meeting if I'm not working. I'm a GI so at least murf knows how easy it is to get off of shift work and I won't be driving all the way to Denver for their meetings so you guys are stuck w/me. I just wish their was more participation in the forum down here.

Poupon

murfman
04/01/2006, 12:12 PM
That is one of the bennies of the club, Poup, most of us are willing to share our more abundant corals and help new reefers get started. Don't buy expensive fish, maybe some chromis to start. This way if you loose them, you are not out too much. It sux loosing a $70+ fish.

pouponfrance
04/01/2006, 12:28 PM
I was going to introduce two small tangs simultaneously, hawaiin yellow and a hippo tang. My overflows will separate three walls for them to get comfortable in. If I remember right, they're about $25 or so a piece.

Poupon

murfman
04/01/2006, 01:15 PM
you can put a hippo and yellow together no problem, different body styles.

racer69
04/01/2006, 08:32 PM
I can bring some finger leather frags if you are coming to the meeting at the end of the month. That is probably the first chanc I will get to be up there. Let me know if you want them.

pouponfrance
04/02/2006, 02:12 AM
Sold. I'm having a bit of a temperature issue now. I lit up all 6 bulbs for the day, been running only two, and the temp went from 78 this morning to 82 only 8 hours later. 125gal + 30 in the refugium and it jumped 4 degrees. I figure the tangs are hardy anough that they won't die tonight but I'm worried about anything adding anything else. I may have to splurge, again, and get a chiller or sacrifice almost 200watts in an effort to keep the temp down. This is only March, can't see making it through the summer without dropping the $500 or so on the chiller.

Hey Deuce, you a pole jock or narrow back? If I'm going to add another 2amps on this circuit for a chiller, I think my 20amp circuit breaker's gonna kick me in the nuts. Got two tanks on it now.

By the way, you guys are the bomb. Thanks for the warm welcome and the frag offers. I believe that what goes around, comes around.

Poupon

Deuce67
04/02/2006, 06:44 AM
LOL! Im assuming you are asking if Im a lineman or just a regular sparky. Im just a regular sparkee. You aint gonna get me climbing those poles! Most of us here dont run a chiller. I dont and I have 2 250W MH, 2 110W VHOs and 2 54W T5 HOs. This time of the year my temp max out at 79. Depending where your tank is setup, you should not need a chiller. Small fans in the hood and one blowing across your sump should suffice. I will PM you with my number and you are most welcome to come by my place and talk a little bit on reefing if you like. BTW, my entire setup is on 1 15A circuit. Im too lazy to crawl under the house and run another circuit. With all my equiptment on, I amped it out at 11 A. Still less than 80% of the maximum load.
Russ

murfman
04/02/2006, 08:15 AM
take some 2 liter bottles and fill them 2/3 full and freeze them. if the tank gets too hot, drop a bottle in the sump. Do like Russ said an run a fan accross the sump and make sure that you can exhaust the hood. I have my tank set for a low of 78 and it heats up to 81 or so during the light period. Warm temps are ok as long as not too much of a temp shift.

pouponfrance
04/02/2006, 11:57 AM
Good to know, I'll be there on the 22nd. Water is back down, I'll keep the bottle in mind if I get back up there.

Crit21
04/02/2006, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the area. I'm north of you near Meridian and Murphy. I have some shrooms, Red Sea pulsing xenia and a devil's thumb frag you might like. I'll bring some frags to the meeting Saturday at Deuce's place.

Did you say you have gravel in your sump? You should prpbably switch to sand. I realized too late that crushed coral (1/8") was a perfect store for detritis and other organics. You'll never control your nitrates with gravel. Try getting sand at Exotic Tropicals at Fillmore and Wood, just east of I-25. Trey's prices are the lowest in town. He also has a lot of softies and marine fish dirt cheap.

Joe69
04/02/2006, 03:43 PM
Welcome pouponfrance! I'm pretty new here myself. I've got some Xenia if you want it. I can bring it up for the next meeting, just let me know. It will be my first meeting as well.

murfman
04/03/2006, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7095929#post7095929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crit21
Welcome to the area. I'm north of you near Meridian and Murphy.

Wooohoooooo I have a golf course east of Denver and now a road Named after me!@!!!!!!:lol:

Crit21
04/03/2006, 09:08 AM
Are you the famous lawmaker too?

murfman
04/03/2006, 10:49 AM
No, that was my cousin Ed, USAF Capt.

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-true.html

BLUEMANDJ
04/03/2006, 04:38 PM
I have some toadstool leathers if interested.