PDA

View Full Version : What's this red stuff?.....

hoover86
03/31/2006, 09:06 PM
I have this DEEP DARK red stuff that is all over my sand and on my rock. It almost looks like hair, it gets long and stringy looking. I've stirred it up with my hands and it just keeps coming back like crazy..... should I be worried about this?.... Thanks guys

tangdiver
03/31/2006, 09:51 PM
Not worried...concerned yes...it is most likely red slime algae...bring water sample tomorrow. I'll test...bring or post a picture if possible. Sign of high nutrients normally. Did you set up with R.O. and top off with it...

If yes and yes where did the H2O come from...store...personal unit...

We can take care of it...

Sk8r
03/31/2006, 10:12 PM
Got a sunbeam that penetrates the tank? That's what 'caused' mine...the friendly afternoon sunbeam. Natch, it's a lifeform, but the extra light just set it up to take off.

kau_cinta_ku
03/31/2006, 11:29 PM
i agree with the red slime alage. due to high nitrates and phosphates. try running your skimmer more wet. and reduce your feedings and maybe more flow may help. but i agree get your water checked out and go from there

hoover86
04/01/2006, 01:26 AM
Yea, my lights were just off and I turned them on and it was just barely noticeable, but during the day when the lights have been on for a while it's going crazy.... I'll get it tested tomorrow and see what's up....

Travis
04/01/2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with what has been posted above. Sounds like cyanobacteria, A.K.A red slime algae. Most tanks will get a small patch here or there but if there is a lot of it then the problem needs to be corrected at the source. The fuel for cyano are high nutrients, high light, and low flow. It is also common in newly setup tanks that are still going through their cycles which can go on for 2-3 months.

Lunchbucket
04/02/2006, 12:51 AM
Travis - you have any in your tank? i noticed a tiny (quarter sized) patch in minhe....the first i have seen of any. i'm going back to feeding every OTHER day.

Lunchbucket

Sk8r
04/02/2006, 12:59 AM
Notice how many people are suddenly posting red slime complaints? I swear everybody and his brother have the stuff this week. I can understand mine: my tank is only 2 months old and living high for its age---but you have to wonder if the stuff floats in the ambient and blooms in the spring, like jonquils.

tangdiver
04/02/2006, 11:30 AM
I have in my seahorse tank...one area only...might be... a spring time thing...but how....all water and lights stay the same.

Grant

hoover86
04/02/2006, 11:52 AM
Yea, I adjusted my flow a little as you suggested Grant, and added the new sand and all seems to be well so far....

tangdiver
04/02/2006, 01:59 PM
The phos. will come down with skimming and H2O changes...that was most likely the cause...not much to worry after you get that going...

Take care,

Grant

Travis
04/02/2006, 02:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7093192#post7093192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lunchbucket
Travis - you have any in your tank? i noticed a tiny (quarter sized) patch in minhe....the first i have seen of any. i'm going back to feeding every OTHER day.

Lunchbucket

Yup, I have a couple patches that come and go on my egg grate. Nothing that I get concerned about.