PDA

View Full Version : Sooo, it's Friday...

Shooter7
03/31/2006, 09:50 AM
Anyone doing anything reef related over the weekend? Visiting stores, working on the tank, setting up new equipment, trying anything new, giving up on anything old???

For myself, it looks like I am set to get delivery of my AC jr controller today, so I'll probably be tinkering with that over the weekend and into next week. Hope it's all it's cracked up to be, as I pretty much drained my tank money reserves to buy it.

Still pondering my choices of auto topoff setups. I picked up a freebie 10 gal last weekend (thanks ol'saltybastage) to use as a possible topoff reservoir. And Mr. Fade loaned me the use of a Kent doser to try out for awhile too. Anyone have a source for the Mrs. Wages pickling lime stuff? Any other suggestions on something to use along those lines? (I know what you showed me is an option too John.)

I'm going to experiment with my silly green stars by tearing off a portion of them and putting them in a slightly more shaded area and see if that does anything to stop their hiding. Just wondering if their problem is light related.

Skimmer cup is filling up again and needs cleaned out. I have some algae like stuff growing on the inside of the skimmer body. How often do you clean the skimmer body??

Observations from the big tank - My RBTA has moved slightly, which has me a bit uneasy. He stayed in his spot, which is exactly where I wanted him, for well over a month now. Yesterday I get home and he's moved about 4 inches. Not sure what's up, but I have noticed that he's been having an area on him that is kind of non-symmetrical to his usual look. Um, just kind of looks like there's a part of him that's about to bud off, is the best I can describe it. Don't know if that's what they look like before they split or what, since I've never had one before. And the last remnants of cyano I had in a couple of very small places in the tank since about a few weeks after set up have finally faded away on the sandbed. I have some in my sump, but that's it and hope it stays that way. :cool:

If anybody has any new pics to share, that would be cool too!

stlouisguy
03/31/2006, 10:09 AM
"I'm going to experiment with my silly green stars by tearing off a portion of them and putting them in a slightly more shaded area and see if that does anything to stop their hiding. Just wondering if their problem is light related."

If you think they are getting too much light, I think you may be off. The ones in my tank are under 5 MH for 12 hours a day and they thrive, even growing up the back of my tank at about 2 inches a month. They have good flow over then also.

Skimmer cup I clean after every emptying. Feel it skims better that way

TWINPEAKS
03/31/2006, 10:12 AM
Rural king in highland was MRS.wages lime.I believe I saw some at super value in troy also.

Shooter7
03/31/2006, 10:13 AM
You said skimmer cup...did you mean skimmer body? And if so, do you take the whole thing out and do the whole interior body or just reach in and kind of clean out the upper portion going towards the neck? That's what I've done before is just wipe off the upper part.

Shooter7
03/31/2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks Dennis! I'll probably be in Highland over the weekend, I'll have to remember that.

zt444a
03/31/2006, 10:45 AM
Walmart for the Mrs. Wages...

Shooter7
03/31/2006, 10:51 AM
There's a super walmart in Highland that we do our grocery shopping at and I checked around there a couple weeks ago but couldn't find any. Where do they typically keep it? I looked in the baking aisle and just around the store in general, but didn't find anything like it. Had no idea that it might be right under my nose at the Super Valu in my town, but then again, I never go in there. lol

Markk96
03/31/2006, 11:51 AM
Eckerts Country Store in Belleville is where I pick the Mrs Wages up when I need to.

Shooter7
03/31/2006, 12:03 PM
You know Mark, that place came to mind to me the other day because of the fact that it's used for canning. I thought, who would have canning supplies, and Eckert's immediately came to mind. My only pause was that they might overcharge for it there, but then again, I really don't know what price to look for on it. lol

Markk96
03/31/2006, 12:32 PM
I think it is a $1 or so, not that much.

JxMetal
03/31/2006, 12:34 PM
You're supposed to clean the inside of the skimmer body? Mine's got a bunch of little snails and feather dusters and stuff in there.

I think I might try to get a chunk of my huge hairy green mushroom off of the rockwork. It split in half the other day. So if I get it off of there who would like to buy it!? It's a little larger than a quarter right now. The original shroom was about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Also, I'll keep trying to find my porcelain crab this weekend. I got him Monday from GWA and the thing is so cool, but it's been hiding until I saw him hiding under a rock this morning.

That's about it I think. Maybe a water change if I get bored.

Chelsey
04/01/2006, 12:47 AM
This weekend is my last bit of spring break :( My white LEDs still haven't come in yet, but if they do then everybody knows what I'll be doing. I'd like to get the water in my pico tank clear before I leave, but that's not super time important. I might take some pics of my tank and new coral, but I think that's all for me.

TWINPEAKS
04/01/2006, 01:32 AM
my porceline crab has been hiding ever since he was put in all you ever see is him fanning in the back of the rock where he lives.

Shooter7
04/02/2006, 03:42 PM
FWIW, in case any locals were thinking of looking at Super Valu here in Troy for the Mrs. Wages pickling lime, was just up there and found pickling SALT, but not the lime. Just thought I'd let you know if anyone was wondering. :)