PDA

View Full Version : Another fragging question..... Zoo's this time!

crny1
03/29/2006, 07:18 PM
Ok....how do you frag zoo's? Cut them off at the base? Glue them back down somewhere else and let the piece of the cutoff base regenerate? Any help here?

Wes

ramtheory
03/29/2006, 08:11 PM
Here are a couple of posts I made in the past of my experince with zoas Wes, hth any detailed questions let us know. Later

I have been allowing my zoas a chance to attach to an adjacent rock. Usually takes a couple of weeks. Then cut or pull away the main colony. I have noticed that the new “frag� with this procedure will grow and spread faster than the glue method. I use the glue method only if I get a loose one floating around. Water quality and lighting helps. I think water flow and feeding, not over feeding is the key.

Scrap it off with the exacto knife. Try to get some rock as it is easy to scrape off. I have found thru trial and error not to use a lot of glue. I like using regular old super glue non-gel. Put a good dab in the middle where you are going to place them try not to get the glue on the edge of the mat as this will slow down the growing "spreading" process. Take your time as zoas are hardy once they close up, and do a fresh water RO/DI dip to get the crud out between the polyps. I have noticed better results with these tips.

drgabe
03/30/2006, 09:47 AM
According to the zoo forums here, there are lots of ways to frag your zoo's and no way seems better/worse than another. Ramtheory's suggestions are probably the best, especially the glue comments.

I put a small piece of rubble in the middle of a colony, and let the zoos grow to it. Gingerly yank the rubble out once you have enough polyps and you are good to do!