PDA

View Full Version : large bloom of microscopic life forms

Tazz11
03/26/2006, 01:38 PM
Due to there size I am unable to get a good picture of these critters but I hope someone can help I.D. these with my discription. They have a very distinct center with anywhere from three to five Legs or apendages comming out from the center. the largest is only the size of a pin head including" legs" they also appear to be white in color. Left for work in am with no sign of these newcomers but in pm after work all over both front and sides of tank (hundreds). Thanks to anyone who can help.

The steven liu
03/26/2006, 02:18 PM
I think you are getting a good culture of pods. (at least that's what it sounds like from your discription) These are tiny crustasians that live in liverock or sand and eat detritus and algae. Very beneficial to your tank also provide snacks to your fishes.

Tazz11
03/26/2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for youinput, I had also thought these might be pod but every picture I found must have been of more mature pods and did not look like what I had. I'll keep watching and hope thats what we have. thank you for your reply.

mejiggery
03/27/2006, 03:33 AM
they are probably copepods
try looking about halfway down this link, you should be able to id what you have... hope it helps
http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter2.html

Tazz11
03/27/2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the link, I did not see the exact critter I have but i'm starting to think they might just be in there beginning stages of there life cycle. Either way they don't seem to be harmful. Thanks again for the help I appreciate it!!!!

mejiggery
03/28/2006, 11:26 AM
after rereading your description try looking up hydroid jellyfish