PDA

View Full Version : My Banggai is holding eggs.

JonK
04/21/2002, 08:25 AM
I never thought they would spawn but apparantly they have. I have so many other fish in the tank I didn't think they would be comfortable enough to breed. Although I have seen them shimmy it always seemed like they would get interrupted.
I'm pretty much unprepared. I have a 10 gallon running for months now with live rock and macro's but I have to start a food supply fast.

I'm excited, but this is my first attempt as long as he holds for full term. I am going to reread all the info on the boards again.

Wish me luck. :D

Jon

ReefMD
04/21/2002, 09:08 AM
Good luck! I have two pair carrying and I just got my prawn eggs yesterday. I talked my local LFS into buying some from Bio-Aquatics. I picked up ten packages yesterday and they have twenty more in their freezer on hold for my future use.

These are very exciting times indeed!

Tim

JonK
04/21/2002, 01:16 PM
Can you order directly from that company for Prawn eggs?
are there other sources?

Thanks,
Jon

ReefMD
04/21/2002, 04:22 PM
I do believe that you can order directly, but they have a ten pound minimum order, and that's a lot of prawn eggs.

Tim

JonK
04/28/2002, 02:57 PM
He lost them. Must of spit them out a couple days ago. I think he held for close to the 10 day mark but still bummed. It was his first try so I'll chalk it up to his inexperience.

I've already seen the female courting him again so he will probably be holding again soon.

Jon

Spikehs
04/28/2002, 03:26 PM
Jon,

Mine spit his out within a week his first try, the second try (which is now) he is still carrying them and it is day 28!!!! so hopefully any day now. Its supposed to be extremely common to abort the first batch.

JonK
04/28/2002, 03:49 PM
Do you guys have tanks dedicated to just your pair of Banggais?
My pair are in a reef tank with with about 6 other fish. Is that too much activity in the tank for him to feel safe enough to hold for the full term?

What's the smallest size tank I should put them in if they should be alone in a tank?

Thanks,

Jon

FMarini
04/28/2002, 09:25 PM
Hi:
Quote:
What's the smallest size tank I should put them in if they should be alone in a tank?

IMO 30gals is the minimum for one pair. 40gal is better.

Second, it is very common for males to abort the first set of eggs. No worries thou thee fish will bred about every 25-30 days.
I can tell you w/ feeding prawn eggs that it will depend on how big your fry are, whether or not thee fry will eat these eggs. if you have smallish fry the prawn eggs will be too big until the fry reach 10+ days. Plan on having enriched baby brine ready just in case
frank

JonK
04/29/2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks Frank,

Should I have them in their own tank? Or can I keep them in the main tank and see if he can hold the next batch for the full term?

After I realized he was holding I placed an order with BrineShrimp Direct. I got a can of brine shrimp eggs and some Selcon.

I haven't found a supplier with the prawn eggs although Premium Aquatics told me 1 to 2 more weeks till they have them. I can't buy 10lbs of the stuff from the other place.

JonK
05/14/2002, 03:46 PM
My male is holding eggs again. This time his mouth is huge compared to the last brood he tried to carry. Hopefully this time he will be successful.

Jon

FMarini
05/14/2002, 05:43 PM
Jon:
glad to see the couple is still at it. I'll cross my fingers for ya.
frank