PDA

View Full Version : I'm back...

goodman770
04/19/2002, 10:45 PM
Hello all. I had posted a while back that I had gotten my Octo and shortly after I had eggs. Well, I took pics of them and many of you suggested that they were snail eggs. I started to agree, and the damsel that I put in the tank for the octo to eat ate the eggs. Well, my octo has still not eaten for 3 weeks!!!! But, I looked in her cave today and there are now about 5 or 6 small strands of eggs that she is fanning, just like the original ones. They are now hanging from her cave, and like the first ones, are very very small. I don't think my camera can get in close enough.
So, I'm a little disappointed that it's pretty much confirmed that she will die now. I have no idea wether these are fertilized eggs since she is the only one in there (Do they come pre-fertilized before laying?) But, I would hate to see them die. If anyone is willing to pay shipping, I would be willing to fed ex the eggs to them in the name of science. I have done my homework and do not even remotely have the time or money to try and rear them.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on here...thanks again to everyone in the past for their help.
Bill

cephalopoder
04/20/2002, 09:12 AM
Octopuses can store sperm for upto 6 months. So chances are they are fetile. As I mentioned earlier they are a small egg species. Extremely hard to rear. I would love to take them but I have my hands full right now with some pygmy octo eggs.
You would have to feed the palnktonic young some rotifers, pepermint shrimp larvee or some other micro food and avoid them getting sucked ito the filtration. Perhaps placing the eggs in a special tank with a sponge filter.
It would be a lot of work. I would just ty to film the hatching if you have a video camra. There is not much else you can do so don't feel bad, it's all part of natue. Planktonic young are very vey hard to rear.
chis

goodman770
04/22/2002, 02:54 PM
I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to go through with trying to raise these eggs. What is the typical gestation period for eggs? Also, who do people typicaly order "Pepermint shirmp larva" or other sources of food from? I have the resources and the time right now. There have to be close to 700 eggs, and with even a 1% save rate, I'd be happy.
Thanks again...
Bill

cephalopoder
04/22/2002, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. You have a small eggs species. Even 1% survival would be alot to ask for in captivity. I know of know one that has ever rear planktonic young with any luck with the exception of maybe a few of the worlds best scientists. As far as pepermint shrimp larvae, you can't buy them you must culture them your self. If you are going to give it a shot I would order some rotifers and enrich them and try to offer them to the young when they hatch. Thats the only thing I could think of that might give ou a chance to rear them to a benthic size. Or order a bunch of pepermint shrimp and collect the larva. Even trying to rear pepermint shrimp larvae is a task and a half. You bascilally need to re create the food chain from green water up to do any of the above.You can check out www.copepod.com for micro food ideas.