PDA

View Full Version : LOA lights of america for refugium?

heedicus
04/19/2002, 10:05 PM
hello all,
almost finished with the sump/refugium, i have a four inch dsb in the sump it will have an opposite lighting cycle as the main tank with a couple pounds of live rock with about 40 watts of NO lights, but i also need to light a separate refugium - for the size i was looking at those LOA lights, would one of the 60 watters keep caulpera alive? i am not sure what the deal with the wattage is cause its says 60 watts from 15 so... any one with experience with these?
thanks
tren

jurisnipper
04/19/2002, 10:56 PM
"60 from 15" sounds like (to me) it uses 15 watts and puts out the same amount of light as a 60 watt light bulb (incandescent).

I don't have a sump so I can't tell you if 15 watts of PC light is enough.

SMN

kgross
04/20/2002, 01:38 AM
Get one of the 65 watt LOA security lights, they have a 6500K bulb which will work very well for a refugium. 15 watts of pc light be its self is not very much light for a refugium.

Kim

heedicus
04/20/2002, 09:12 AM
so your are talking about the socket bulbs right? i saw the whole fixture type with the 12 in tube, but is the bulb idear the way to go? any sugguestions on how to mount it too my refugium(10 gallon rubbermaid container?
thanks
tren

heedicus
04/20/2002, 09:30 AM
how would this do?

i have searched around on the forum and this one seems to be the loa light of choice, what do youall think?
thanks
tren
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0567450292.1019311601@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdladcemffhkjecgelceffdfgidgmj.0

jurisnipper
04/20/2002, 01:49 PM
Home Depot (HD) links never work.

What Kim is talking about the LOA "flurorex" line. They do not screw into a standard light socket but come with their own fixture.

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/products/Security1.htm

Particularly the one shown as model 9027 on that page.

HD sells them, I think they have a 42 watt model and a 65 watt model. I use the 65 watt model on my tank. The 65 watter is ~$30 at HD. They are located with the outdoor security lights. Both the Boise HD and the Meridian one carry them. The 42 watt model is probably enough for your refugium.

BTW. You'll need a power cord for it. Go to Deseret Industries (or some other thrift store) and pick up an old computer power cord. $1.

I'd recommend taking it apart and drilling a whole bunch of holes in the LOA case. Otherwise the things get reall friggin hot. That is what I did. Let me know if you want to see mine.

Steve

golfsuper
04/22/2002, 01:24 PM
Tren,

I bought one from the Meridian HD about 2 years ago. Jurisnipper picked one up more recently, so he may be able to tell you who's got them right now. I also saw a similar fixture only in white at Costco a while back. Don't know if they're still carrying them. Mine has been trouble free over my refugium for 2 years. The only problem is that my mangrove has now reached the fixture and the leaves touching the lens are scorched. Like Steve said, they get HOT! Good luck.

golfsuper