PDA

View Full Version : Imperator owners...

DrMilhouse
04/19/2002, 06:56 PM
How is this fish to keep?

Do you have any full tank shots you can share with me?

I'm working on a 125 FOWLR and this is the primary fish to be kept in that tank. I know people suggest slightly larger and as I'll be buying a juvinile, I'll be willing to let him go to a bigger tank if he outgrows it. Do you think that's an okay plan? What other things are you keeping safely with them?

Thanks in advance for all information. :)

EdKruzel
04/20/2002, 11:05 AM
DrMilhouse,
Sorry but your plan is foul. A 180 gal would make a better home, although a 125 will house this fish.

Never purchase a fish you plan on giving away when it no longer meets your accomidations.

Your 125 with minimal rock to provide plenty of swimming space will hold this fish. However three or four smaller fish with the Emperor Angel would maximize your bioload.

The Emperor, or Pomocanthus imperator when purchased as a juvenile often grows but never changes into the beautiful adult color phase, probably a diet deficiency.

Check the color pattern you like best and purchase that fish. Too many people buy a juvenile Emperor because of the cost difference and find themselves disappointed two, three years down the road. If you look hard enough you can find a 4-5'' Emperor with adult color patterns. In your tank the fish would probably obtain a maximum size of 8''s.

Good Luck
Ed

DrMilhouse
04/20/2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your response, but I'm not fully sure that I undertand it. You've started out by condemning the idea by saying it is a foul plan. But I think in the rest, you're saying that this is okay.

I totally understand about the color change and that makes sense to me. I figured that it would be a great thing to see the process of the change over time, but if they don't ever get that change the idea is pointless. :) So I can stick with an already changed younger (smaller) fish, right? And I'm gonna be okay with him in this 125 with out worrying about outgrowing it, right?

I appreciate the feed back and reading it a few times has cleared up that you were not really telling me I had a dumb idea from the beginning. :)

I'd love to hear/see other's tanks and experiences with this. If purchased already color changed, how does the color stay? does it get drab or with proper feeding does it stay brilliant?

Thanks!
Mike