PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Eating Establishments

zt444a
03/21/2006, 04:30 PM
I still say the best mexican food is at my house. I will put the wife to the test too, as far as cooking..

Be that as it may, I have only lived in the area since the end of last July. I'd like to know everyone's favorite places to eat, whatever type of food it is...

:mixed:

hckycoz
03/21/2006, 04:40 PM
amaghettis Subs on the Hill

StupidsReef
03/21/2006, 04:42 PM
I like JOE'S Crab shack! Next to that would be cunetto's in dog town. ( I think I spelled that all wrong). And FAST EDDIES! COLDEST beer around :D

trottman
03/21/2006, 04:43 PM
favazas on the hill

Joe Boccardies ristorante (near the Fox theater and in columbia IL)

IMOS pizza

amaghettis subs again

Guedos on the hill

Red Lobster (on special occasions kinda $$$)

and of course cullpeppers (sp?) the best wings in St louis!

Reefer Wannabe
03/21/2006, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007680#post7007680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StupidsReef
And FAST EDDIES! COLDEST beer around :D

That would be a great place for a Slash meeting. I love Fast Eddies.

Nanook
03/21/2006, 04:47 PM
Hmmm, food, my fav topic!!

Seafood: Bristol's on Olive

Italian: Gino's Ristorante on Hampton

Mexican: El Pueblo Solis on Hampton

Indian: India's Rasoi on Manchester

Pizza: Faraci's and That'sa Nice'a Pizza

Chinese: Guo Bin on Delmar

BTW, I have a mean recipe for chicken enchiladas that is incredible if you have the time to make it and don't mind a pretty high fat content

;) dave

hckycoz
03/21/2006, 04:55 PM
we cant all get into fast eddies, but i wish i could

hckycoz
03/21/2006, 04:56 PM
this guys even got a favorite INDIAN Food

ramtheory
03/21/2006, 04:59 PM
Clancy's Butcher Shop & Deli :thumbsup:
930 Kehrs Mill Rd
Ballwin, MO 63011-2462

Michael's Bar and Grill :thumbsup:
7101 Manchester Rd - Dogtown
St Louis MO

Letmegrow
03/21/2006, 05:11 PM
Okay,

Gioias Deli on the Hill beats the snot (which you might find in your sangwich at Amighettis) out of Amighettis.

LoRussos on Watson is really good.

Lazy River Grill on Bigbend and 141.
Yellow Stone Cafe on Clayton and 141.

Carls Drive in on Manchester.

Lemay Wok on Lemat Ferry.

Nacho MaMas on Manchester.

Seamus McDaniels on Tamm in Dogtown.

Tandori Hut on Hampton.
(I tried Indian Palace and did not think it was that good.)

Cunettos is on the Hill, not in Dogtown(try LoRussos insted).
Guidos is yukky !!

jimmyleg
03/21/2006, 05:34 PM
Tanner B's, 'eclectic american', Shenandoah and Nebraska

McGurk's, best Irish music in town, Russell & 12th

33 Wine Bar, Lafayette Square, great wine selection

Pho Grand and/or Four Seasons, South Grand, Vietnamese/Asian

Trattoria Marcella, Watson Road, excellent Italian

BARcelona, Clayton, tapas

House of India, Delmar @ 170

StupidsReef
03/21/2006, 06:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007913#post7007913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow

Cunettos is on the Hill, not in Dogtown(try LoRussos insted).
Guidos is yukky !!

Ok it's on Southwest and Sublet I thought that was Dogtown. It might be The HILL. I never heard of this LoRussos, where is this located??

Letmegrow
03/21/2006, 06:17 PM
That is the Hill.
Dog town is on the otherside of Manchester adjescent to the Hill.

It is on Watson.
http://www.lorussos.com/

I forgot to add Colossus and Antoninos for greek.
I did not like Sprios.

ARLO
03/21/2006, 06:43 PM
My House..:frog:

:lol::lol::lol:

Arlo

jwalters103
03/21/2006, 06:44 PM
gioias deli tops the list

bristols--seafood

el maguey-mexican

the melting pot---when you want your wallet to be empty

cafe napoli--italian

faracis or bj's---pizza

blueberry hill--casual

ciceros--best value--(3.99 all u can eat spaghetti or 5.99 all u can eat lasagna)

eat rite diner and courtesy diner for tastiest and quickest heart attacks

Nanook
03/21/2006, 06:50 PM
LoRusso's is great too...St Louis is blessed with many fine Italian restaurants!!!

Letmegrow
03/21/2006, 07:03 PM
I like Elicias for delivery non-sit-in pizza.

LeGrands "Tomboys" market right off Chippewa/Watson has very good sangwiches and they are creative and unique and they are cheap. I suggest trying them out too.

I have yet to have good fried chicken.
Except when I was young(er) Lemmons on had the best fried chicken, but I doubt its the same.

Im going to have to go to Bristols.

The all you can eat pizza place near the creepy crawl off tucker in downtown is good for 3am pizza. It's TJs I think, and its only on weekends I think.
I have not done that in a while.

Letmegrow
03/21/2006, 07:11 PM
I used to work at Gioias and I always made the "Crapandwich" or sometimes called the "Beast".

It is a 9" whole wheat loaf with cream cheese, pepper cheese, Hot Roast beef, Hot Salami, and 2 Salsiccia links with marinara sauce, onions, roasted bell peppers, and a little lettuce.

This beast will make anyone fall asleep in 10 minuites after eating it.

Nanook
03/21/2006, 07:45 PM
LeGrands "Tomboys" market right off Chippewa/Watson has very good sangwiches and they are creative and unique and they are cheap. I suggest trying them out too.

My dad goes there a lot...been a while since I was in there...my little brother grew up as friends with Joe Scanlan that works there.

dave

DrBDC
03/21/2006, 07:48 PM
Bad news for you Nanook, I think India Rasoi's closed.

jwalters103
03/21/2006, 07:53 PM
is that the same as the india's rasoi in clayton? im pretty sure that location is still open

Nanook
03/21/2006, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7009244#post7009244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
Bad news for you Nanook, I think India Rasoi's closed.

I thought I heard he had some problems with illegal aliens?? But not sure...was this in the paper or on TV?

DrBDC
03/21/2006, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure. I'm talking about the one that was in the old building that used to be the Springs on Manchester IN Manchester.

jwalters103
03/21/2006, 08:27 PM
almost forgot---bb's jazz, blues, and soups on broadway has some killer food too

DrBDC
03/21/2006, 08:48 PM
My wife said the one I was thinking of was named something different. She said there is one in the strip mall next to Uncle Sams just east of 141 on the south side of Manchester.

Mykayel
03/21/2006, 10:51 PM
Alexandria's on Midrivers Mall Dr., great sandwiches
Olive Garden
El Maguey, good Mexican and very cheap, and great chips and salas
Giordanos- the best pizza, but you have to go to Chicago to get it, or they'll FedEx one to you overnight

Reggae Fish
03/21/2006, 11:37 PM
Pizza- Cusanelli's 55 & Bayless, Farottos
Although, not to many pizza places that I don't care for.

No one mentioned Pointers Pizza in Maplewood. $500 for 2 people eating a 2 meat topping pizza in 1 hour. Check out their site. www.pointerspizza.com
We would get them for my daughters birthday. Really simplified things

Italian- Too many. Guiseppies (mispelled) south grand & meramec
is good.

No one mentioned Thai!
King & I on south grand
Manee Thai in Ballwin (he owns numerous locations but different names)

Chinese- Yangzee in Ballwin
(well, as far as crab rangoon and I'll go against anyone that wants to dispute this)

Wings-That's tough but I'll go with mine. Let me know if you want to call me on that! Just make sure you bring some milk or you you'll end up like me. 24 with ulcers and been taking nexium for 4 years. I don't like milk. Just like it hot!

BBQ- Let's see. That would be a good get together for a day. We can all get together at a park or whatnot and everyone can bring/cook whatever. Chilli, ribs, etc...
I'll smoke ribs. 2 slabs of baby backs take
exactly 4 hours and 37 minutes (1 sauced, 1 dry rub)

Mexican- Since there is no really hands down one, I'd have to say El Maugey, BUT you have to order Tacos de carne asada. Get a side order of sour cream and cheese and you're good to go!

Now to the final
Sandwiches- Basket Case (hands down, make the hill look like Subway) It's worth the drive to Washington, MO which is about 40-45 from south county or west county (west)

BTW Cindy Cunetto (Siebel) is my neighbor. I've known her for almost 6 years since we moved in here in ballwin. She drinks too much of my beer!

Dert42
03/22/2006, 10:14 AM
for mexican in chesterfield valley, matidor rules. it's really good and really cheap. beats el maugey totally.
in ofallon, we go to el tio pepe

steak? annie gunns.

pizza: imos or stephaninas in wentzville & ofallon.

sounds like i need to drive into the city to eat more...

Reggae Fish
03/22/2006, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7013571#post7013571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dert42
for mexican in chesterfield valley, matidor rules. it's really good and really cheap. beats el maugey totally.
in ofallon, we go to el tio pepe

steak? annie gunns.

pizza: imos or stephaninas in wentzville & ofallon.

sounds like i need to drive into the city to eat more...

Matidor is the same as El Maugey. They are all under the same umbrella and that includes El Nepol too.

trottman
03/22/2006, 10:46 AM
i thought that one was cheap and the ohter two were expensive... but they were the same food. correct?

Reggae Fish
03/22/2006, 10:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7013756#post7013756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
i thought that one was cheap and the ohter two were expensive... but they were the same food. correct?

I only eat 2 things from there.

Tacos de carne asada

Vegitarian Dinner #1

and they are the same price at any of the locations. I don't know about the rest of the menu.

Dert42
03/22/2006, 11:03 AM
well the food sure isn't the same.
i think i'm going to to maditor's for lunch today. :)

DrBDC
03/22/2006, 11:06 AM
FYI, El Maugey's is the same as El Nopal without as fancy of an atmosphere and a smaller bill. It's owned by the same family and same recipe's. Not that El Nopal's is fancy enough to really warrent a bigger bill but it is a little more of a "fine dining" atmosphere.

Did you know crab rangoon came from Springfield Missouri! I had read or saw the news on that one. Not that the news tells the truth! :lolspin:

MayoBoy
03/22/2006, 11:06 AM
Hot salami and roast beef from Gioia's

Any sandwich from Southwest Market

Fish from the VFW on Midland in Overland (the one with the helicoptor in front)

Welsh - Llewellyn's in Webster

Hamburger - The Trainwreck or O'Connells

Italian - Frank Papa's in Brentwood

DrBDC
03/22/2006, 11:24 AM
Pork steak from Tucker's on Manchester! Great steaks too but when they bring out the pork steak everyone turns around and watches the waiter/waitress bring it out.

Poof
03/22/2006, 04:43 PM
Fish from the VFW on Midland in Overland (the one with the helicoptor in front)

The other VFW on Midland in Overland in front of the old swimming pool is really good also. You get more for your money.

Deli- Olive Street Deli on Olive and Woodson.

Las Palmas Mexican Restraunt- The one on Page Ave.

Dert42
03/22/2006, 05:21 PM
i went to matidor... and i ate to much... bleah!

Reggae Fish
03/22/2006, 05:24 PM
What did you have? Did you take my suggestion? Tacos de carne asada with a side order of sour cream and shredded cheese?

Reggae Fish
03/22/2006, 05:24 PM
What did you have? Did you take my suggestion? Tacos de carne asada with a side order of sour cream and shredded cheese?

JxMetal
03/22/2006, 05:25 PM
What's a VFW?

Nanook
03/22/2006, 05:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7016781#post7016781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JxMetal
What's a VFW?

Veteran of Foreign Wars

JxMetal
03/22/2006, 05:35 PM
you eat there? hmm....

JxMetal
03/22/2006, 05:36 PM
ok, got it. It's a food pantry?

Dert42
03/22/2006, 05:38 PM
i almost did.. i went with beef fajitas though.

beaker77
03/22/2006, 05:45 PM
King Louieā€™s in Woodriver - So good it should come with a defibrillator.

Reggae Fish
03/22/2006, 05:45 PM
Next time you go, get it. Make sure you follow the order though and don't forget the green sauce that comes with it. If you don't like it, I'll send you some cash for another meal!

MayoBoy
03/22/2006, 06:16 PM
VFW - it's like a club where Vets hang out. Every Friday they have a fishfry and it's awesome. (The other one on Midland is an American Legion Post I think).

Nanook
03/22/2006, 06:35 PM
My Grandfather was a vet of WWII...it was common for him and his buddies and wives to spend a LOT of time at the VFW Hall...they ate, drank and smoked and hung out. That was a great generation of Americans.

dave:)

Letmegrow
03/22/2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, what happend to us ??

Reefer Wannabe
03/22/2006, 10:36 PM
We're just a bunch of losers who sit around and stare at our fish tanks...

Reefer Wannabe
03/22/2006, 10:37 PM
or other people's fish tanks :D

zt444a
03/23/2006, 08:31 AM
Well,

My thinking is that in addition to getting out when the wife and I have time, maybe we could also try and have a SLASH meeting or two at some of our favorite eating places!

I enjoyed pizza night last night, we just basically talked about reefing (what else), and SLASH, but I would bet that we could do that at any place with tables enough for us to sit around.

sirreal63
03/23/2006, 08:52 AM
Very true Howard. That is actually part of the goal here, not only enjoying our hobby but building the friendships.

rams_1_again
03/23/2006, 01:56 PM
My Favorite Mexican Food: If you haven't tries Chuy Arzola's in Dogtown on Clayton your missing out. Some of the best salsa and steak fajitas this side of the rio grande. I'm drooling on my keyboard as I type this.

Reggae Fish
03/23/2006, 01:59 PM
They do have good food. Then you can stop by Seamus McDaniels which is about 1/2 block!

rams_1_again
03/23/2006, 02:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7023352#post7023352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sj022698
They do have good food. Then you can stop by Seamus McDaniels which is about 1/2 block!

Next time I'm out that way I'll be sure to stop by or stagger in.;)

Ocicat
03/23/2006, 04:57 PM
Indian: Priyaa at Dorsett & McKelvey! Awesome any time, but they have a great buffet at lunch.

There is an India's Rasoi in Clayton (is there one on Manchester?). I have only been there once, had high expectations, and found it too salty.

If anyone knows of a single Indian restaurant in St. Charles, I would be forever indebted to you. I used to live in U City and am realizing that I was terribly spoiled as far as restaurants.

Thai: Thai Country Cafe in the Loop. I do think they serve the best Pad Thai in the world (although I have never been to Thailand). Thai Kitchen at Dorsett & McKelvey is excellent also, if you get a curry.

Italian: Cunnetto's (on the Hill!) -- My family used to go there every year for my birthday

Chinese: Guo Bin, Delmar & 170, underneath a retirement home... Hunan Empress on Olive near 141 is very good, too.

Mexican: Qdoba (there's a location on Manchester and one in the Loop) has recently replaced El Maguey at the top of my list. Really they are apples and oranges, though; Qdoba is much more fresh, and El Maguey is good if you want something heavier.

American/mix:
I don't know about a favorite, but I ate at Lewis & Clark's on Main Street in St. Charles the other night for my anniversary. Very good food, good service, and a very cool atmosphere.

Sweet Tomatoes (on Olive at Lindbergh) is great if you like salads.

Ocicat
03/23/2006, 05:01 PM
P.S. I should add this disclaimer: I am a vegetarian, so I make no claims about any meat dishes at any of the above!

Reggae Fish
03/23/2006, 05:03 PM
Vegetarin dinner #1 at El Maugey. I was a veggie for about 6 years. My wife has been one since second grade and she is 25

Ocicat
03/23/2006, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7024749#post7024749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sj022698
Vegetarin dinner #1 at El Maugey. I was a veggie for about 6 years. My wife has been one since second grade and she is 25

I can't remember the number of my dish... even though I always get the same thing! Maybe #73. It isn't under the vegetarian section. I get it with bean burritoes, cheese enchiladas, and rice. YUM.

I've been veg since I was 12 and am now 28! I converted my husband many years ago, which is great since he is an awesome cook. ;)

Nanook
03/23/2006, 05:07 PM
Chicken dishes at Priyaa have bones in them...choking hazzard extraordinaire!

What is your favorite Indian restaurant in the Loop???

:eek1:

Ocicat
03/23/2006, 05:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7024783#post7024783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
Chicken dishes at Priyaa have bones in them...choking hazzard extraordinaire!

What is your favorite Indian restaurant in the Loop???

:eek1:

:eek:

I think a lot of Indian places are better at making veg dishes than meat dishes!

I don't think I have ever had Indian in the Loop. I was totally addicted to Thai Country Cafe and being within a few blocks of it meant we HAD to go there. :p I have been to House of India on Delmar near 170 and wasn't too impressed. I haven't found anywhere better than Priyaa... but then, as you can see, when I find a place I love I don't tend to stray very often.