PDA

View Full Version : ID this worm, with an attitude

21Reefman
03/20/2006, 04:05 PM
This guy is a rock chewing omnivour, that has no trouble manipulating a blasomussa colony rock, as if it were a feather. I see him coming out for algea on newly added pieces as well as meaty foods. He has 4 holes in this rock that I see him float between. I always used to try to place/wedge frags in these holes and every morning they were cleared away! He is out growing the tunnels and is adding rubble and zoa frgs to his hole to extend his reach while still being covered. What do I have here??
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/ryhosk/IMG_0790a.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/ryhosk/IMG_0792.jpg

21Reefman
03/20/2006, 04:15 PM
Here is a zoom of that last pic. And I meant BlasTomussa. hehe
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/ryhosk/IMG_0792a.jpg

Sk8r
03/20/2006, 06:16 PM
eunice norvegica? I'm suspicious it's not a nice one.
Try Animal Library Invertebrates site.

rustybucket145
03/21/2006, 12:28 PM
Great Pics. Here are some images I came up with of eunice norvegica:

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04mountains/logs/may16/media/eunicenorvegica_600.jpg

http://www.hydronauta.com/temas/biologia/vertebrados-infe/anelidos/Eunice%20norvegica.jpg

and the most similar:

http://shop.uwphoto.no/500/esv143cd063.jpg

Keep in mind that there are literally thousands species of bristleworms and though eunice has a bad reputation that may not be what you have. I would personally keep a close eye on him. Observe his behavior and make sure is not eating anything you don't want him to eat.

21Reefman
03/21/2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks, rustybucket, I saw those too. I have had trouble finding any info on what it eats or why it has a bad rep. I also would like to know how to get rid of it??? I thought about flushing his holes with some hot fresh water (from a syringe) to see if he comes out. He already bothers me because he is so strong, and is constructing an addition to his lair. And he's not too cute either.

paulallen
03/22/2006, 12:29 AM
Try putting some food in a 20oz bottle near his hole. Leave it in there for awhile if he goes in when you are watching you can cap it and pull him out. If he takes the bait when you arent watching restock it, he should get more confortable going into the bottle. Then you can watch him and catch him after a couple tries.

21Reefman
03/22/2006, 01:22 AM
good idea, It is in a bad spot for that though.

Unlikely_Hero
03/23/2006, 03:01 AM
During a bristle worm destroying phase of mine, I tried using something that someone here had suggested for me: wrap a piece of raw cooking shrimp in a well-rinsed piece of pantyhose and put it near the hole. If he takes the bait, he'll get his spines stuck in the hose and you'll be able to toss him.

CaptiveReef
03/24/2006, 10:10 PM
Check out how big your worm will get from this site, Steve Weast had the same worm just alot bigger!!!!!!!
http://oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

:eek2: CaptiveReef

21Reefman
03/24/2006, 11:21 PM
WOW! That is a BIG MO-Fo!! Thanks for the link!

Untamed12
03/25/2006, 02:15 AM
There are lots of variations of Eunicid worms and there's no guarantee that your's will achieve any record breaking size.

I can attest that the exact one that you've photographed can attain a length of nearly 2 feet because that is how large mine was before he met his end somehow.

That particular one is gold/brown with a distinct while collar, that's how I know it was the same as mine. (so I know you have Florida live rock)

I have never seen mine eat any kind of coral....and it lived directly behind my claim and never once showed any interest in the clam, except for shelter. Generally, they tend to eat whatever is put in front of them. Fun to feed with tongs! Try it!

I also have a much larger species whose body is nearly the thickness of my little finger. I've never seen his back end, so I don't know how long he is. He is exclusively vegetarian, thank goodness!

21Reefman
03/25/2006, 04:29 PM
Untamed12, Your good, I do have FL rock. I would never buy this concrete again though. LOL

LeslieH
03/25/2006, 07:28 PM
It's definitely in the genus Eunice.and definitely not norvegica. A lot of eunicids have the same color pattern of gold/brown with a white collar so that's not a big help in determining the species. The bigger an Eunice is the more likely it is to eat corals so keep an eye on it or at least keep it well fed. They're also rock movers & can move surprisingly big chunks of rock as you've probably found out.

If you do get it out I'd like to have it and I don't mind if it's dead as long as it's preserved!

21Reefman
03/26/2006, 03:00 AM
I will let you know.

Dwayne
03/26/2006, 01:29 PM
You said the coke bottle trick wouldn't work because of space. I had seen Steve Weast's info before and it might be the solution to your problem. If you want it out of the tank, build a trap from small PVC pipe. To the worm this is just another hole to crawl through. Have the 'trap' go any direction to any place in your tank. I'd try to end it in a attachable coke bottle. This way you could still use the bottle for bait. Once you see the worm in the bottle, you can pull out the pvc pipe and dump the worm into a bucket. Then make sure to take pics for everyone.

21Reefman
03/27/2006, 12:58 PM
If he comes out, I will deff take lots of pics. I'm not really excited about his presence, and I am leaning towards removal. Yet, the fact that he has not eaten any coral has me torn. I have been trying to lure him out for a better pic, he is SO good at keeping hidden.

exo
03/31/2006, 10:36 PM
I have one of these guys too. I can see him in the gravel under the tank...He has Hiways made through my sand bed and makes lots of dust all the time...I estimate that he is over three feet and about the size of a your small finger diameter. I dont think that he will go into a bottle all the way. Ive never seen the him all the way out just a few inches like 9. Im thinking that if you try and pull the upper part of the body it will brake and they you have 2.

exo
03/31/2006, 10:38 PM
oh yes He is at least 5 years old now, comming in on some florida rock..

21Reefman
04/01/2006, 02:01 AM
yeah, those tunnels are cool. They build a tunnel with sand and debris it gels together like snot. I found one under and around the zoa rock in front oof him.

km133688
04/01/2006, 05:56 AM
do you want him dead or alive. I have removed many worms from my tank although not one of these. I got a "grabbie claw" form a hardware store in town.

This claw device looks like a long metal string coil (not part of the function, just a description), with a button at the top (may be other variations of the trigger mechanism). When the button is pushed in, a little claw wiht four or so fingers comes out of the bottom, when the button is released the claw springs back into the tube. Mechanics and Plumbes use these grabbers to pick up small items down inside tight spaces.

Select your grabber carefully, they are not all equal, even among the same devices. In particular, make certain that the claw will retract completely all the way back into its housing, otherwise you will never catch any worms. Also test the spead of retraction as worms are pretty quick.

Then bait him with some food and when he comes out, maneuver the claw around him and let is close on him quick. Then it is a tug of war between you and the worm. If the worm is really big, he will have lots of grabbing power to hold onto his rocks, so the best approach is not to pull real hard, rather to not let up on the tension. Then when he relaxes to try and move, he slips out a bit more. It can take 1/2 hour to get a real fighter worm out of the tank but hey, that is what makes the sport or worm fishing so man-ly right?

Good luck, Kevin

Daytymer
04/05/2006, 08:29 PM
I had the same worm as Steve from Oregonreef. Mine, when I finally got him all the way out of the tank was 7 feet long. I didn't even know I had him. I started to notice softies disappearing on one side of the tank. Zoo's, mushrooms, xenia etc. In the day they would be fine, by morning... gone. Only on one side of a 6 foot tank. I got rid of every crab, starfish and snail I owned. I even removed a yellow tang. No change. I decided to do a freshwater dip on the rocks. As I went to take out the last rock, a very large piece of base rock, I saw something black, about 8" take off swimming through the water. I grabbed a net and caught it. It was a worm that was 1 1/2" wide with some really nasty fangs. I noticed that it had segmented so I took the rock out and broke it up, very carefully removing the rest of the worm. I will swear on a stack of Bibles that this worm was 7 feet long. (including the segmented piece). I was so freaked out by it that I didn't keep it. Of course, I'm regretting that now.

My opinion... if they get to a certain size, they're going to have to eat something more substantial. If corals are whats available, they're going to eat them.

XeniaMania
04/10/2006, 04:19 AM
Any luck catching it? I've just recently discovered that I got one too, cept mine's maybe bout 1/4" wide so it's a junior. Man can it see, I can't make a move w/o that worm freaking out and going back into it's hole. I'm gonna try baiting it first, if no luck after a few days, I guess it's a club soda bath for the rock.

XeniaMania
04/10/2006, 04:20 AM
repost--deleted

eldudeereno
04/13/2006, 04:52 PM
thats one of those crazy bobbit worms er something there pretty cool i know a guy whos got 1 as a pet like a mantis

venwu225
04/14/2006, 02:59 AM
NOT ALL euncid polychaetes eats corals! They make fasinating pets, and you should not remove it.

I always wanted one to observe and cherish, consider youself lucky. A neat worm is a lot more unique than bunch of corals that everyone has and can get with ease.

XeniaMania
04/14/2006, 03:04 AM
They collect corals and cement them to their burrows. They're believed to play a part in building a reef, like natural epoxy..sorta. I haven't seen mine in the past few days, but I'm sure it's still there. I'm not missing any corals, nor are any getting damaged, but I have my xenias in a growing tray right now, so we see if any coral eaters get stuck in the tray.

sf05
04/14/2006, 05:11 AM
Here *was* mine: (Forgive poor pic quality :*))

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Dan005/mant.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Dan005/mant2.jpg

After i finally caught the little B***er!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Dan005/tt1worm.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Dan005/ttworm.jpg

He ate all of my cerith snails and a couple of nassarius and had their shells stored in his rock, i also hold him responsible for my cleaner shrimp.

I tried to remove it several times but got him in the end by removing the rock he was always in and gave it a FW dip (With no success)
I then put the rock into a tub of SW and turned the heater up full without flow and covered the lid. After about 30mins i saw half of him flop out the rock.

I just left him another 5mins to die and then pulled him out of the rock with gloved hands (They're not to good to touch as you probably already know)

This one was about 6" and looked the spit of yours ;)

Goodluck with whatever you choose to do, he was too creepy for me to keep and in a nano i need to keep all the cleaners i can :S

Dan

XeniaMania
04/14/2006, 09:46 AM
Oh! My gf was wondering what happened to our snails! Also why can't you touch them? They don't have bristles, those are gills on its sides. :confused:

sf05
04/14/2006, 11:58 AM
I was told that they are venomous and can cause a painful burning sensation when touched. Each pair of legs were alot longer and spiky when he was alive , they seem to have gone in when he was dead :s

XeniaMania
04/14/2006, 02:46 PM
I think you got it confused w/ the firewrom bro..the Hermodice sp,

sf05
04/14/2006, 02:55 PM
:s So it's not a fireworm? :*)

That's what i was told :s
Oh well who cares he's gone now anyway! :)

XeniaMania
04/14/2006, 03:46 PM
:lol: nah...it's not a fireworm. but it is a predatory worm. No biggie, you're right, main point is that it's gone. http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=292
Here's the fireworm, for your future reference, enjoy!

sf05
04/14/2006, 05:30 PM
Well at least the fireworm is pretty :lol:
Cheers for the help

21Reefman
04/15/2006, 10:21 PM
sf05, Wow, 6" eh. I thought he would be longer. It does look to be the same size and everything as mine. I was going to link a few lengths of rigid tubing together with some flex tubing to make a long trap. It will be like a turn-style line at Disney. Now I think it can be shorter than I had planned. Thanks for sharing!

XeniaMania
04/15/2006, 10:36 PM
Hey sf05, how did your coralline algae like the jacuzzi? (90 degree water) Did they fade? I think they're pretty temperature sensitive.

sf05
04/16/2006, 10:01 AM
Well let's just say that rock was covered in lots purple coraline (As you can see)
It's now completely white :(
Hopefully it won't take too long to come back though :thumbs:

No Worries 21Reefman, i wish you the best luck getting the guy out :)

horkn
04/19/2006, 10:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7178546#post7178546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sf05
Well at least the fireworm is pretty :lol:
Cheers for the help

i have at least 3 of those so called "pretty" worms. i have gottena few out, but i know i still have 2 or 3. i will be cooking my rocks or fw baths to get these guys out soon...

although i have yet to see them eat any coral, i know they killed my conch...

i use thses sleeves to put over my hand yo catch them once theya re out in the open, buut they are fast, and usually ina hole in a rock, keeping their back end in the rock, so they can quickly duck back in. ugly bast@rds

sf05
04/21/2006, 04:21 AM
:lol: goodluck i hope you get them out :thumbs:

aynoT79
04/25/2006, 01:26 PM
wow funky lil thing.. amazing on what you can find in your tank after a while...