PDA

View Full Version : When does a thread move from an "experience" with a LFS to advertising

stlouisguy
03/20/2006, 03:47 PM
With the opening of the great new store Gateway aquatics there were many posts regarding this, which was very understandable. Chad has provided what could be the ultimate store for those in this crazy hobby. Most people not only know about this now though, many have visited it.

So I pose this question to the forum, when does a post jump from personal experience to advertising for a particular LFS. Lately it seems that a few posts regarding GA has been showing up that didnt pass on any personal experience or help anyone learn something new, just positive advertising for the store.

Since its established that no LFS bashing or flaming should take place, shouldnt we as a community look at the other side, which is no overt praising of a LFS on a regular basis either.

I remember MS used to have their weekly specials posted until it was stopped as it was deemed advertsing.

I could be way off and wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but think we should discuss this early on

Thanks all

Clark

Letmegrow
03/20/2006, 03:49 PM
Seemingly when you say it is.

stlouisguy
03/20/2006, 03:51 PM
Hmmm so if you bring up a subject to discuss it is met with sarcasm? nice.

Someone in the other post asked for me to post a thread about this to discuss, which I did.

Thanks for your well thought out input

Dert42
03/20/2006, 04:00 PM
i am ok with it.
i think i would like to know whats going on at the stores.
i would think it needs to be limited to say 1 post per store, per week or something? and no bumping the posts just to keep it on the top. if it dies, it dies.

ooooor
1 sticky post that has specials of the store for the week.
the store employees could email a moderator who would update the 1 sticky post. and perhaps make it a closed sticky as well.

stlouisguy
03/20/2006, 04:02 PM
I like the sticky idea except you need to remember that would take away from the advertisors who pay a LOT of money to advertise on this site, so that probably wont happen. Great idea though. If we get a slash website that would be a thing for that.

trottman
03/20/2006, 04:08 PM
the one problem is, the thread that this is about was an informative thread. some people dont even know chad has opend let alone if he can get you almost any fish or coral you want.

--this is not worth the energy it took to type, lets just all get along---

stlouisguy
03/20/2006, 04:10 PM
This thread is NOT directed at any particular store, but as a point of discussion that needs to be addressed for the future of SLASH and what is acceptable or not.

Please take this post as it is meant

fade32
03/20/2006, 04:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998708#post6998708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
the one problem is, the thread that this is about was an informative thread. some people dont even know chad has opend let alone if he can get you almost any fish or coral you want.

I think if anyone has been on the boards long enough they know about GWA so it almost seems like beating a dead horse. I like GWA but I also like MS and I think GWA is getting what MS gets and people are getting MAD. The bigger Chad gets the more threads like this he will get just dont Post on them and they will go away. I never post on a MS bashing post and I am not bashing GWA. They will just have to get over post's like this.

beaker77
03/20/2006, 04:19 PM
I don't have a problem with the other post. It was just an informational post to let people know GWA can get things it doesn't have in the store.

As far as advertising personally I'd like to see a weekly mailing from SEASL.org with specials from the LFS's.

ramtheory
03/20/2006, 04:26 PM
I had asked Clark to start this thread and we will discuss the views of others about LFS advertising on this forum. Discussion is good this will help decide what we do as a club once we get everything ironed out. This should not be a discussion about old and new Gateway Aquatic threads or MS. We are currently trying to establish a club website that will be updated with store specials. Give it time.

Shooter7
03/20/2006, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see a weekly mailing from SEASL.org

pssssst.....from SLASH, dude! Remember which board you're on. :lol:

Shooter7
03/20/2006, 04:28 PM
We are currently trying to establish a club website that will be updated with store specials.

Like this idea alot! :thumbsup:

ramtheory
03/20/2006, 04:29 PM
your opinions are welcome that is what this club is all about.

beaker77
03/20/2006, 04:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998872#post6998872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
pssssst.....from SLASH, dude! Remember which board you're on. :lol:

LOL my bad.

The SLASH website with LFS specials sounds great too.

ramtheory
03/20/2006, 04:56 PM
This is a good question that I would like to see others opinions on.

Since its established that no LFS bashing or flaming should take place, shouldnt we as a community look at the other side, which is no overt praising of a LFS on a regular basis either.

trottman
03/20/2006, 05:02 PM
maby there should just be a St louis LFCS fourm that has updates and stuff about the local stores.

stlouisguy
03/20/2006, 05:03 PM
I thought so but many on here dont share that opinion

Dert42
03/20/2006, 05:10 PM
i am against that. i don't want to have to check another forum...
just my 2 cents.

Mykayel
03/20/2006, 05:20 PM
IMHO GWA has almost gotten a bad taste in my mouth just because I hear about it so much... that they are so wonderful... so great... Well, I've been to the store and his old basement and he's a nice guy but I don't understand all the hype. Maybe give him a few months/years and he'll have a great shop but right now I don't think so. Is he doing a good job, yes. Would I buy from him again, yes. But GWA is not the One, True, Only LFS. There are plenty of other good stores in the area that have treated me great too.

But opinions are opinions...

TooFar2Sea
03/20/2006, 05:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998708#post6998708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman

by "this" are you referring to his question?

Shooter7
03/20/2006, 05:51 PM
But GWA is not the One, True, Only LFS. There are plenty of other good stores in the area that have treated me great too.

I don't think anyone but perhaps Trottie ever posted as such. His store recently opened and alot of people were very happy about it and happy for him that he has his own storefront now. I think this is exactly the kind of thing friends should do for one another. Nor do I think that you would find Chad trying to pass himself off as THE one and only true LFS. Just because one young poster goes a bit off the deep end on something shouldn't reflect poorly on Chad's store. I think he's a businessman just like lots of other guys and appreciates the support. I don't believe he deserves the negative tone that the post reflects on him or his store.

mhurley
03/20/2006, 06:04 PM
Let me give RC's input on this, since our [ua] governs this site and similar topics.

We do not allow members with a vested interest in a store to promote that store. So employees, part-time employees, contractors, owners, co-owners..etc...Cannot post about "hey, we've got xyz on sale" or "xyz store can get you anything you want". However, other non-interested parties can post about their experiences.

Now, should things ever get out of hand...for example; we once had a kid getting paid in free frags to come on RC and promote a certain LFS...Then we will take issue with that.

I hope this helps a little from our perspective.

Thanks!

ramtheory
03/20/2006, 06:15 PM
trottie will you explain to us what LFCS stands for? Thanks

Thanks Mike you saved me time from not having to look that up. :thumbsup:

Mykayel
03/20/2006, 06:16 PM
I didn't mean to put a negative tone to that post, but yes, every time I hear Trotty mention GWA:
Its almost as if he's bashing all the other good honest stores. Nothing against the guy, I know he's a young'n, but ....

DrBDC
03/20/2006, 06:46 PM
One thing we have to watch out for is the other stores feeling like SLASH is a GWA club. That will alienate the other LFS support as well. And that's not a good idea. I, as much as anyone likes the underdog and wants to help the new guy get rolling. And they do need that. Very much. There just needs to be a consensus on how to go about that. It might be better off to not have any posts about any LFS's until a decision is made about it and keep the questions to husbandry and club issues until then. And especially in the thread names. Just a thought.

trottman
03/20/2006, 06:50 PM
i dont shop at the other stores, and i never mention them ever! how can you say i am bashing them???

i just like to support the guy that i have been buyin corals from before he had a retail location. i have never bashed one thing on the fourm... not in seriousness anyway!

LFCS = Local Fish and Coral Store... i made it up :D

trottman
03/20/2006, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6999437#post6999437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TooFar2Sea
by "this" are you referring to his question?

yes

trottman
03/20/2006, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6999375#post6999375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mykayel
IMHO GWA has almost gotten a bad taste in my mouth just because I hear about it so much... that they are so wonderful... so great... Well, I've been to the store and his old basement and he's a nice guy but I don't understand all the hype. Maybe give him a few months/years and he'll have a great shop but right now I don't think so. Is he doing a good job, yes. Would I buy from him again, yes. But GWA is not the One, True, Only LFS. There are plenty of other good stores in the area that have treated me great too.

But opinions are opinions...

if you consider what i type bashing, then i consider you bashing an LFCS right now^^^

you are messed up if you get a bad taste from people telling you that the store is really good and that they have great stuff.......

trottman
03/20/2006, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6999626#post6999626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shooter7
I don't think anyone but perhaps Trottie ever posted as such. His store recently opened and alot of people were very happy about it and happy for him that he has his own storefront now. I think this is exactly the kind of thing friends should do for one another. Nor do I think that you would find Chad trying to pass himself off as THE one and only true LFS. Just because one young poster goes a bit off the deep end on something shouldn't reflect poorly on Chad's store. I think he's a businessman just like lots of other guys and appreciates the support. I don't believe he deserves the negative tone that the post reflects on him or his store.

i never acctually seriously did anything horrible! just went along with the flow and mentioned GWA when nessecary. i will never type it again!

Shooter7
03/20/2006, 06:58 PM
Trott...there's no need to go to extremes in either direction. You just had a span of time there where every post from you was GWA GWA GWA!!! Just keep it to individual experiences and you'll be fine. Like, "Hey, check out this great ric I just bought up at GWA!" and show a pic. That way you're reflecting your personal experience, you're only doing it once, and it doesn't have the cheerleader effect to it.

Oh, and doc, I dunno...if we don't say anything on here about LFS's I would have missed the box of salt sale. :)

dphins
03/20/2006, 07:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7000142#post7000142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
i never acctually seriously did anything horrible! just went along with the flow and mentioned GWA when nessecary. i will never type it again!
It's about time!

trottman
03/20/2006, 07:07 PM
=(

TooFar2Sea
03/20/2006, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7000119#post7000119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
yes

Maybe I am too sensitive but this seems like a harsh thing to say about anyone's question.

trottman
03/20/2006, 07:10 PM
good

TooFar2Sea
03/20/2006, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7000059#post7000059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
One thing we have to watch out for is the other stores feeling like SLASH is a GWA club. That will alienate the other LFS support as well. And that's not a good idea.

Everyone has their own perception but I have connected SLASH with GWA to the point that as an long time SEASL member I am not sure if I am even welcome in the store due to the subtle SEASL "bashing" that is coming from SLASH.

WARNING PERSONAL OPINION TO FOLLOW...maybe this forum needs a "Why can't we be friends" sticky like the SEASL forum.

Letmegrow
03/20/2006, 07:37 PM
Gary - Everyone is welcome in SLASH and GWA.

Try and experiance both and form a solid opinion.
That opinion is pretty inflammitory.

chadscamaro
03/20/2006, 08:44 PM
Just to clear the air , anyone is welcome in the store . I hate that I even have to say that,but I am a store owner with friends that have formed a new club ! That in no way means that anyone is banned from the store and I really hope everyone realizes that !

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 08:47 PM
Trotty is newer and happy, so what if he found a place to express himself on the internet.
I like SEASL I like SLASH. I like MS, TWP and GWA. We all have opinions good and bad. We are all restricted to only saying good thing on RC. I say good when I see good. I see good at MS, TWP, and GWA. Now I put them in an order when I typed this, now you will tear my post apart because I posted MS first thinking that's the one I like the most. Well your never know which one I like the most.
I posted some thing about GWA being able to order fish and tanks. Well so does MS and I'm sure TWP does too. So if we all can't get along on SEASL then maybe we might go to the new hope of freedom with SLASH.

trottman
03/20/2006, 08:50 PM
this is slash.......

chadscamaro
03/20/2006, 08:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7001180#post7001180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
this is slash....... :lol: :lol:

Markk96
03/20/2006, 09:01 PM
Wow isn't this hobby supposed to be fun?

trottman
03/20/2006, 09:14 PM
i dont know about you guys, but i am havin a great time!

i am basically a pro at arguing, been doin it since i was born... with my brothers, sister, mom..... not my dad though ( he is stronger than i am )

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 09:33 PM
I'm just so p.o.ed that this has to come down to this. Try both SEASL and SLASH if you don't like it try skydiving.

StupidsReef
03/20/2006, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7001159#post7001159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lost Marbles

Now I put them in an order when I typed this, now you will tear my post apart because I posted MS first thinking that's the one I like the most. Well your never know which one I like the most.

Look see here you cripple, I'll bet you like TWP the most!! :D I don't have to tear you apart, your easy. I have a screw driver ..........Com 'er Davy boy! :lol:

trottman
03/20/2006, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7001541#post7001541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lost Marbles
I'm just so p.o.ed that this has to come down to this. Try both SEASL and SLASH if you don't like it try skydiving.

i am contemplating this..... is that with or without a parcheute?

(did i spell everything wrong or right?)

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 09:39 PM
See that wasn't sarcasm that was funny. Let's all have fun, safe and happy typing. :D have you kissed your rabbit fish today.

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 09:41 PM
With out if your are a negative one, with a parachute if you are a happy person

trottman
03/20/2006, 09:44 PM
lets all wear parachutes then!

(i want a rabbit fish and saw a nice one up at the LFCS today)

StupidsReef
03/20/2006, 09:58 PM
Trott, can I pack your shoot?? :D Just ask Lostmarbles, I know what I'm doing, right Dave;).

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 10:03 PM
I have a orange spotted rabbit but this post might mean I'm pussing rabbit fish and I will be bannded.

trottman
03/20/2006, 10:06 PM
i am looking to buy a nice "different" rabbitfish, where did you get yours? i am either looking for one likeyours or a yellow and blue one.

Shooter7
03/20/2006, 10:11 PM
Saw an Orange spotted rabbitfish up at Beldt's over the weekend. Don't remember the price.

JxMetal
03/20/2006, 10:18 PM
I don't mind it as long as it's not the owner or employees of the store. If it's the consumer saying "This happened or that happened" then I think it's just simple vendor feedback. Don't think that people won't post something negative about the store if they're treated badly. This is just a thing that comes with good customer service/relations.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't want to read through 3 pages of this stuff. I'll just post my opinion.

trottman
03/20/2006, 10:20 PM
good, i am going to the store mentioned above on thursday.... i might pick him up!

Lost His Marbles Name
03/20/2006, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7001954#post7001954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JxMetal
[B]I don't mind it as long as it's not the owner or employees of the store. If it's the consumer saying "This happened or that happened" then I think it's just simple vendor feedback. Don't think that people won't post something negative about the store if they're treated badly. This is just a thing that comes with good customer service/relations.

I AGREE

zt444a
03/20/2006, 11:01 PM
I have posted good stuff about Chad and GWA. I made my 73 year old father show up at his house and help me with carrying water and rock when I was setting up my tank. Chad helped carry stuff too, and for that I was grateful. Where were the Amish when we needed them?

If you like a store, tell people. If I do not care for the same store, I guess I will just disagree with your opinion.

Lots of ways to do things people. Take all opinions with a grain of salt, have a beer, think about life, etc. Who cares if someone advertises? I will make up my own mind...

ramtheory
03/21/2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for putting this thread back on topic guys.

Trottie you are doing a wonderful job of being your normal self. congratulations :thumbsup:

capncapo
03/21/2006, 01:19 AM
Folks,

I never thought that we would have to include in the forum rules any mention of too much praise of any LFS. I think that stores deserve all the credit they can get.

That being said, I DO think that maybe one or two posters have gone overboard at one time or another. You know who you are.:D

I have to admit that I was almost ready to strangle Chad just because I too got tired of the relentless praise of GWA. Fortunate for him, I am old and weak so I was no real threat.:D

I'm of the opinion that anyone who cares to sing the virtues of ANY LFS should be encouraged to do so but not to the extent that it becomes a nuisance to the rest of us.

Lost Marbles intention in his post was strictly informational. I can say with certainty that he was not coercerd into making that post with promises of money or goods in return for doing so. Yes, he helped Chad by working on his store as many of us did but he has no ties to the store other than trying to help a new business become successful. No harm, no foul. I would view it differently if he were on the board every day stating something about GWA but that is not the case.

I really think that the best way to handle this is to let folks post what they want. If it appears that someone is doing a little too much cheerleading then we, as a group, should ask them in a civil manner to stop. If they continue to cheerlead, we will ask for help from RC.

Don't forget, SLASH is in the process of trying to form a relationship with ALL vendors in the area and needs their support. Let's not say anything negative about a vendor because of a customers praise.

capncapo
03/21/2006, 01:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7000404#post7000404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TooFar2Sea
Everyone has their own perception but I have connected SLASH with GWA to the point that as an long time SEASL member I am not sure if I am even welcome in the store due to the subtle SEASL "bashing" that is coming from SLASH.

WARNING PERSONAL OPINION TO FOLLOW...maybe this forum needs a "Why can't we be friends" sticky like the SEASL forum.

Gary,

I don't understand why you would say this.

SLASH in no more connected to GWA than they are to TWP, CPE, MS or any other LFS in the area. Some of us helped work on Chads store but then again some of the folks who were helping Chad are SEASL members. Does that mean that SEASL is connected to GWA?

When this forum went live you were one of the early posters and asked who could join SLASH. My reply to you was that everyone is welcome. That includes you and any SEASL member. We exclude no one.

There is no bashing of SEASL in this forum that I am aware of. If there were, we would put a stop to it immediately. Are you aware that Tom Gibbons has stated that he intends to join SLASH. If I'm not mistaken, he is running for an SEASL Executive Officer position. He's made no comment about noticing any SEASL bashing and I'm sure he would tell us if he did.

If you notice any SEASL bashing going on in this forum I ask you to notify me so that we can make sure that it stops and does not happen again.

Again, I state that you and any SEASL member are welcome to join SLASH. We invite you to become a member and to participate in planning our future.

TWINPEAKS
03/21/2006, 03:01 AM
Everyone has their OWN opinion about what store they like, where they like to eat,I myself will experience each store etc. and form my own opinion.With that said every store has it good and bad points JMO.

DARKSILENTTYPE
03/21/2006, 09:16 AM
I like that mexican restarant on highway K and 70 across from the mcdonalds in ofallon MO were the old big boy restarant was if anyone is interested . Its the best mexican food in St Charles .

zt444a
03/21/2006, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7004328#post7004328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DARKSILENTTYPE
I like that mexican restarant on highway K and 70 across from the mcdonalds in ofallon MO were the old big boy restarant was if anyone is interested . Its the best mexican food in St Charles .

The best "Mexican" food is in my kitchen! My wife is one hell of a cook. If we ever get together in a pot luck fashion, or at my home for anything, she makes some hellacious chicken enchiladas.

:D

Dert42
03/21/2006, 11:22 AM
that is a very bold statement darksilent...
i love me some mexican food..
i assume you've been to el tio pepe? over passed the waffel house a bit?

sirreal63
03/21/2006, 12:00 PM
Having grown up in Texas, let me assure you the Mexican food here is mediocre at best. The Hacienda is still good and consistant.

maxxII
03/21/2006, 12:08 PM
Wow folks...whatever happened to common sense???

I'm willing to admit I have a low tolerance for drama...I see enough every day in my job. I include over sensitivity in MY definition of drama since a person or people being overly sensitive to actions of another tends to cause drama that can usually be calmed by an explanation of whats actually happening...

So keep that in mind when reading my opinions that follow.

when does a post jump from personal experience to advertising for a particular LFS.

IMO, it becomes an advertisement when compensation of some sort is granted or received by the poster from the LFS. If there is no compensation then you just have people talking.

You're kidding right? So the reward for great customer service and hard work by a LFS is a mandated silence by those who shop regularly and patronize the store they like? That's ridiculous.

If an employee/owner of an LFS was posting fantastic reviews under false pretenses, I could see that being deceptive, underhanded, and objectionable. But you should look at the intent. If the intent is blatant advertisement, then it should be looked at by a Mod. Whatever the Mod decides to do is up to him/her.

If the intent is to pass on a positive or negative experiance at a certain store, then there is no harm. But here the catch folks....you have to use common sense: IE, If I work for store A, and I have a negative experiance in Store B, I probably wont post about due to a conflict of interest. It looks bad, and understandably so. As far as posting negative experiances at a LFS goes....again common sense people. We have newbies coming to the hobby all the time. How are they to determine where a good place to shop is? What store gives good advice in favor of making a quick sale? Conversely, What store's will sell a newbie a complete 55 gallon salt set up complete with airstore bubblers, painted gravel and an Emperor Angel and Seahorses to cycle the tank?

Dont you think newbies to the hobby should have the advantage some of us never had? IE posted experiances of LFS in the area and what you find helpful/harmful? How much money would you have saved if someone had pointed you in the right direction when you first got in the hobby.

The object is constructive helpful reviews or relating of experiances, both good and bad.

Common sense is the key. Obviously, if someone wants to bash a store mercilessly, then its not constructive and does no good for anyone. Thats where the Mods step in and shut the thread down. I hate to throw more work at them, but they are very good at what they do and should be allowed to do it.

Here's the post that started all the fuss:

Gateway Aquatics
Chad can order neat live rock, fish tanks "any size" and most of any fish. Don't let the store fool you.

IMO, this sounds suspiciously like an advertisement. The poster didnt state he had a great experiance shopping there and discovered that Chad can order things not visible in the store. Just that Chad could actually order things.

The following post on the otherhand:

I got some nice rock from him yesterday, its the best rock I have seen from any local store around or even online.

relates personal experiance from a customer. Thats the difference between the two posts.

But can you determine conclusively that the first post was an advertisement and wasnt just poorly worded? I'll be the first one to admit I occassionally write or say things in a way that makes the meaning unclear or can be misinterpreted. Has this happened to anyone else? Ever?

Dont forget, we're communicating in a manner that prevents any non-verbal communication that might be displayed as well. So the opportunity for mis-communication or mis-interpretation is greater.

IMO, if the chance that a person made a "commercial post" can reasonably be attributed to a poor choice in words or phrasing...then it needs to be left alone. A warning could be sent via PM after a couple of "iffy" such posts, with deletion of the post being a progression followed by banning of an individual if necessary. But regulating "overt praise" of a store is unnecessary and could conceivably have a negative impact on a store's business in the long run. Then we're all stuck shopping at Petsmart or PetCo for any local supplies or livestock we might want.

Nick

DARKSILENTTYPE
03/21/2006, 12:11 PM
I lived in san diego for many years and would go south across the border to get some good mexican food and I am here to tell you that this place is the best in St Charles .yes I have been to el tio pepe this place is better .

stlouisguy
03/21/2006, 12:44 PM
Nick, well said and thought out. You hit on my whole point in the end of your post which was the original post didnt convey a personal experience, learning information, or advice. Thats why I asked the question, which apparently was like kicking the family dog.

:eek1:

I do disagree that for a post to be advertising compensation must be received. The post itself is what must be evaluated, not the meaning or what the poster did or did not receive. I never thought that the original poster received anything, actually never thought about it as I was basing my questions and comments on the body of the post, which was a very basic advertisement for GW.

sirreal63
03/21/2006, 12:47 PM
Nick...thanks for adding some perspective to the issue. Most of us know LostMarbles doesn't gain anything from GWA, but there seems to be some who don't know this and some that like to stir the pot, so to speak.

I have had great experiences at all of the LFS's in our area and each has it's strong points and weak points. The key is knowing who is good at what and shopping strong points.

maxxII
03/21/2006, 02:07 PM
Glad we are discussing this in a rational manner....if we can discuss things intelligently, then we all benefit. Even if we disagree with the other person's viewpoint.

I do disagree that for a post to be advertising compensation must be received. The post itself is what must be evaluated, not the meaning or what the poster did or did not receive.

Now we are getting into schemantics....this is good because we are working towards a defintion of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, (in this case).

According to Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/advertising)

Advertise:

1 : to make something known to : NOTIFY
2 a : to make publicly and generally known <advertising their readiness to make concessions> b : to announce publicly especially by a printed notice or a broadcast c : to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize : PROMOTE
intransitive senses : to issue or sponsor advertising

Advertising:

1 : the action of calling something to the attention of the public especially by paid announcements
2 : ADVERTISEMENTS <the magazine contains much advertising>
3 : the business of preparing advertisements for publication or broadcast

So we are both right regarding whether or not compensation is required in order to be considered advertising or to advertise.

The only problem with evaluating the post only is that it leaves too much to the reader to decide for themselves what the intent of the message is....and like I said earlier, this mode of communication leaves out non verbals which are (depending on which communications guru you follow or were stuck in class with) anywhere from 50-90% of communication. I know that personally, I rely on a person's non verbal communication ALOT on a daily basis...but thats part of my job. :D

I would suggest that the board members here and Mods, (such as Nanook since he's a local Mod...this is an example only, I just typed the first name that came to mind) review these things and make decisions as to what constitutes a commercial post or not. I say this for a few reasons:

Mods have alot to do already, and I'm not wild about contributing to the workload of someone who volunteers their time and energy for free. BUT, they have an intimate knowledge of RC's user agreement, and RC provides the bandwidth we use to post these messages.

The board members/creators of the club, (SLASH), have stated publicly that the internet will be a large part of this club's existence. They also volunteered for this position and worked hard at building this club. With all this in mind, its their sandbox and they are generously allowing us to play in it. You can argue that its a public club or a private club all you want, but I'd be amazed if they wouldnt be willing to ban/disallow someone to participate if they were a constant nuisance or a problem child. With that in mind, lets let them handle these type of issues as they see fit, in accordance with RC's rules.

We can influence, and give our thoughts and opinions in matters at meetings, gatherings, BBQ's, etc...

It sounds kinda funny coming from a cop, but I'm in favor of a less rigid structure in this sense. I feel that organization of the club is necessary as are bylaws and rules regarding selection/election of board members/ administrators/ Czar/ El Presendente'/ whatever, (choose any and all applicable terms), and what should be done with finances.....but for the most part I think we should try and keep things flexible and adaptable to deal with situations as they develop and unfold.

Remember, we got into this hobby becuase it was fun. Some of us had so much fun we decided to turn our hobby into a business. But let's try and keep things fun whenever possible...if this means poking fun at Trottman, or Steve's facial hair, or even making donut jokes when I come to Pizza night or whatever, I'm all for it. Life gets all too serious on its own, and I do this to relax. Lets try and keep it that way.

For the most part we're all intelligent reasonable people...I'm pretty sure we can figure out whats a commercial/offensive post. If we come across one that is questionable or crosses the line, we can contact the mods et al and have them make a judgement call on it.

This is just my take on this, and should be treated as an opinion, nothing more....

BTW, feel free to make all the jokes you want in any meeting, SEASL or SLASH about cops and donuts....I dont eat em.

Nick

Lost His Marbles Name
03/21/2006, 02:45 PM
I'm getting sick of this back and forth stuff with this whole thread. I'm suicide, bipolar, I sleep with one eye open hugging a AK-47. So let's get to the point what is the address to the Mexican place in St. Charles

Letmegrow
03/21/2006, 02:49 PM
El Chupracabres.

DARKSILENTTYPE
03/21/2006, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure but if you go down highway 70 to highway K you will see a McDonalds from highway 70 and it is across from the McDonalds it starts with a G .The best Mexican food you can buy in St Charles .If you like a hot salsa you can ask the waiter to have some made special and they will bring it to you . I like mine with Hadinaros

stlouisguy
03/21/2006, 03:23 PM
I went to that restaurant once. I dont know if its the best in the area, but its gotta be in the top three

zt444a
03/21/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7006382#post7006382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII

BTW, feel free to make all the jokes you want in any meeting, SEASL or SLASH about cops and donuts....I dont eat em.

Nick

Wow Nick, those posts were right on the money. I don't recall anyone saying anything about eating cops or doughnuts, and for the record, I don't eat cops either.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shooter7
03/21/2006, 04:07 PM
Well, I used to date a girl who was a cop and....oh, wait...wrong forum. :lol:

ramtheory
03/21/2006, 04:23 PM
Nick well put, I believe capo has posted his opinion which the board agrees with on this matter if need be this could be added to the informational sticky about the club forum. But, really does it need to come to that. If we have to add it to be able to remind those we will.

Anyone feel free to PM me or any board member anytime you feel a post is questionable. We can express our view and if need be we can help organize another thread to discuss the issue. This will help to keep issues friendly and if heated at first in an organized fashion. Detailed and helpful responses will help us determine what you would like to not see happen in this forum. That way issues like this are done and over with and we can remind new and old what goes in the SLASH forum. Most important move on to fun interactive conversations.

Guys feel free to start a thread about the restaurants I don’t want to have to do a search for this thread for that kind of information if I forget. I know everyone likes to add humor and try and cool off the issue by trying to distract. But really we need to get these issues out of the way to clear the air and have fun. I look forward to meeting each and every one of you so I can introduce you guys to everyone else.

maxxII
03/21/2006, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007073#post7007073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zt444a
Wow Nick, those posts were right on the money. I don't recall anyone saying anything about eating cops or doughnuts, and for the record, I don't eat cops either.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be the first one to admit I occassionally write or say things in a way that makes the meaning unclear or can be misinterpreted. Has this happened to anyone else? Ever?

Uh.........:eek2: :rolleyes: :D

Irony sucks.....

Nick

kentrob11
03/21/2006, 07:55 PM
Wow....Hey fellas I don't mean to send this thread off track but I ran into an old girlfriend the other day- I just thought I'd share a pic...

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/11711/0067.jpg

Nanook
03/21/2006, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7009292#post7009292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kentrob11
Wow....Hey fellas I don't mean to send this thread off track but I ran into an old girlfriend the other day- I just thought I'd share a pic...

http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/11711/0067.jpg

She looked like this when you brought her home that night...

http://www.bridgewaterinternational.co.uk/content/beautiful%20woman.JPG

kentrob11
03/21/2006, 09:13 PM
Dude that's frikin hillarious!

dphins
03/21/2006, 09:26 PM
Kent you need to quit drinking!

tetra9999
03/21/2006, 09:37 PM
holy crap! Now THAT is a double bagger!

kentrob11
03/21/2006, 09:39 PM
Man- I don't know what you guys are talkin about...She was smokin...

dphins
03/21/2006, 09:41 PM
Crack Kills!