PDA

View Full Version : Ushio10K HQI ballast?

MSPECIAL
04/18/2002, 07:26 PM
Well, after much investigation, I have decided on purchasing 2 Ushio10K 250watt HQI Double End Halide Bulbs in the PFO mini pendents with the Remote PFO 250watt hqi standard ballasts for my 120 gal (48 x 24 x 24) tank. This setup should allow me to keep most anything in any location in my tank and is also a great light for corals, looks great and runs efficient. Heat should not be hard to control with this setup.
I will also supplement with two 110 watt VHO actinics.

Has anyone used this lighting system with Hellolights E-ballasts? I spoke with James from Hellolights today and he said that this is the light which he runs on his tank and of course, he uses his E-ballast. I was wandering the difference between the PFO hqi standard ballast and the Hellolights E-ballasts with this light? I hope someone can give me feedback or point me in the direction of where to go to get info.

Mark

FishTri
04/18/2002, 09:59 PM
For what its worth...

I'm not familiar with either of these ballasts, but in general a ballast can have a significant impact on energy used - which translates in cost to operate every month when you pay your PECO bill.

What are the total input watts for each ballast? The lower number will cost less to operate.

Much of the inefficiencies are due to waste heat lost in the ballast. The more efficient ballast tends to run cooler as well.

MSPECIAL
04/18/2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I do realize all you are saying but I feel that the cost difference is not as important to me as the way the light runs on a specific ballast. I do not feel that the cost difference will be that significant.