PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Ideas For April Meeting

Travis
03/20/2006, 12:33 AM
Our last "discussion ideas" thread did not seem to be too popular but I figured I would get another one going just in case someone things of something they would like to discuss at the meeting and doesn't want to forget it before the meeting. As always, there is no such thing as a bad topic so feel free to post whatever you would like to discuss at the meeting.

Dakafall
03/20/2006, 01:32 AM
Buildin' stuff:
Plywood Aquariums
Acrylic/glass aquariums
stands
canopys

how to frag different corals

substates (maybe)

Borneman Trip (if anyone goes)

and i'm always interested in anything DIY lol

Lunchbucket
03/20/2006, 06:19 AM
salts
bryopsis
normal test levels and good tests
lighting
waterflow

i'm sure i'll think of more
Lunchbucket

CHUCKSD
03/20/2006, 12:46 PM
Eric,
Could you attach an excel or word doc to the website?
I was thinking it would be easier to field topic related questions if we had a template.. Free form would still be there but a person could record there name etc and the nature or reason for the requests.
Just a thought...
Chuck

creslin2
03/20/2006, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6997220#post6997220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHUCKSD
Eric,
I was thinking it would be easier to field topic related questions if we had a template.. Free form would still be there but a person could record there name etc and the nature or reason for the requests.
Just a thought...
Chuck

and what about those of us that don't have excel or word? (I'm a cheapskate, didn't buy it when I got the computer.) and some of us use Mac or other software (Claris, Corel, others) I like the idea of a template, but I think it could get hairy trying to edit a document on a public server.... My 2 cents.

hoover86
03/20/2006, 08:11 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a sump/fuge and would love to hear ideas of others setups. I'm looking to make my own rather then buy (cheapskate I know), but I have the time and love the hobby and willing to give it a shot on my own, but not sure how to go about it....

CHUCKSD
03/20/2006, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6999877#post6999877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by creslin2
and what about those of us that don't have excel or word? (I'm a cheapskate, didn't buy it when I got the computer.) and some of us use Mac or other software (Claris, Corel, others) I like the idea of a template, but I think it could get hairy trying to edit a document on a public server.... My 2 cents.

Do we have any web experts who could enable a page for us that would function as a template? We could also have it link to members name or just "topic for the month" box and it could email the info etc.. If we do not have someone in the group I can ask someone from work to customize it for us...

Lunchbucket
03/20/2006, 09:02 PM
Chuch you mean like the registration form? where it would email topics to me?

i guess i'm kind of lost on the whole "template" or excel attachment idea

please explain
Lunchbucket

Ben1287
03/21/2006, 04:08 AM
A method of propagating corallimorphs that allows one to maintain the broodstocks initial appearance, which is new to me and maybe some of you.

Also perhaps an in depth discussion on planted tanks?

A brief presentatoin on basic coral anatomy so I don't sound like such a jack*** talking about it.

creslin2
03/21/2006, 07:48 AM
Ben? Zat you? (as in the guy with the freshwater plant book from Feb meeting that got me into this club?)

tangdiver
03/21/2006, 08:37 AM
Ah yae...Ben is in the house...WELCOME........

Where were you....even Kevin S. came to the meeting...

GRant

Travis
03/21/2006, 09:16 PM
One thing I would like to talk about that I seemed to forget at the past meeting is our logo and who would like to design it.

Ben1287
03/22/2006, 05:42 AM
yeah, the FW guy!
I was in Fargo last weekend.
I'll be at the next meeting.

P.S., Grant, I fragged 2 of the ricordia and they're doin' awesome!!

Ben1287
03/22/2006, 05:44 AM
I'd be more than happy to take on the logo, you guys just let me know what you want it to include and I'll make it happen!

creslin2
03/22/2006, 08:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7012650#post7012650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ben1287
I'd be more than happy to take on the logo, you guys just let me know what you want it to include and I'll make it happen!

Mmm. We had some ideas on that, where were they? somewhere on a board, or were we talking about that in the Feb meeting?

tangdiver
03/22/2006, 08:14 AM
Ben will be giving a frag/propagation of Recordia in the next meeting....PLEASE>>>

Travis
03/22/2006, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7012962#post7012962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Ben will be giving a frag/propagation of Recordia in the next meeting....PLEASE>>>

With Grant's ricordia.:lol:

Travis
03/22/2006, 11:24 AM
Here is the original logo thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=788281

Ben1287
03/22/2006, 03:05 PM
Wow, you guys were talking high-tech in that other thread.
I was thinkin' I'd go oldschool on it, hand drawn, full color, etc., and then scan it on to the comp.

creslin2
03/22/2006, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7015812#post7015812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ben1287
Wow, you guys were talking high-tech in that other thread.
I was thinkin' I'd go oldschool on it, hand drawn, full color, etc., and then scan it on to the comp.

Works for me.

ewaldm
03/22/2006, 04:03 PM
Oh, sweet! A fragging lecture on ricordea, that will come in handy. Someone should really videotape it and we could put it on the website or something. I'm fairly certain I have prom that weekend and I won't be able to attend, but I'm really interested in this topic!

Thanks

would_alice
03/22/2006, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7003694#post7003694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ben1287
A brief presentatoin on basic coral anatomy so I don't sound like such a jack*** talking about it.

Don't worry Ben, as long as you stay consitent across the board when talking about other stuff, how you sound when talking about coral anatomy will be no surprise to others. Just kidding.

I would like to hear about planted tanks and maybe some basic saltwater/reef stuff at the April meeting if I am able to make it.

creslin2
03/22/2006, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7017464#post7017464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by would_alice
I would like to hear about planted tanks and maybe some basic saltwater/reef stuff at the April meeting if I am able to make it.

Heck, I wouldn't mind a presentation on planted tanks either. If I don't make it you don't have to cancel the presentation tho. ;)

I know next to nothing about reef aquariums so maybe that could be a string of topics for upcoming meetings, progressively. as in, "This month's meeting, Step one: choosing the right.... *insert whatever step one of beginning a reef tank would be* And next month, Step two: Shop at Oceans of the Midwest (http://www.oceansofthemidwest.com) for all your equipment and livestock needs." :D

Actually...................This might be good for both salt AND freshwater. How to build a good tank, or different methods of building a good tank. Not just the equipment, but substrates, livestock compatability, etc. A progressive series for each. Might have to talk about that one at the "leadership meeting". Someone remind me to talk about it? *sheepish grin* I have a horrible memory. I'd write myself a note, but then I'd lose the note and later wonder what it was I was looking for.

Travis
03/23/2006, 12:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7015812#post7015812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ben1287

Works for me too.:)

Lunchbucket
03/23/2006, 08:55 AM
creslin - i like the idea of a progressive series on setting up a tank. could do one fresh and one salt in the same meeting. i mean substrate talk by one on salt and by another person on fresh. then the next week filtration....on salt one fresh.

would be good resources to add to our library that we need to start building.

Lunchbucket

tangdiver
03/23/2006, 09:00 AM
Sounds great...even if you think you know all...you don't and might be a new prospective...and give ideas...

Grant

creslin2
03/26/2006, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6997220#post6997220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHUCKSD
Eric,
Just a thought...
Chuck

Not sure how to go about this, but I think I found the answer to our question of open editing documents on the web.

http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

we'd have to have a registration system to allow people to post, and the total content of the site could be changed by any user at any time, assuming that they have no scruples....but the technology is out there if people are interested in pursuing this.

tangdiver
04/04/2006, 07:25 AM
Bringing thread to the top...

Would like to see propagation of shrooms and/or rics. at next meeting. Any takers...sorry no rics to do...sold all that I could do. But shrooms or hairy shrooms. Anyone want to demo there successful props...not experiment please...to nice to do that.

Grant

kau_cinta_ku
04/04/2006, 07:39 AM
i would do it but i have only cut a few in half or thirds as i have so many i have no need to turn 1 shroom into a bunch:p

tangdiver
04/04/2006, 07:47 AM
Bring for others to take home...idea...have you proped before and been sucessful to show a demo?

Just would like to see other ways to do...a lot of talking about lately...thought it would be nice to show others and newbees like myself

Grant

kau_cinta_ku
04/04/2006, 07:58 AM
well i wouldn't concider my self a great person at it as my first time i did something wrong and killed it and my 2nd and 3rd time they lived. but that is all i tried so i can't say i am good enough to show a demo yet. but i will practice again this weekend and if all goes well i will let you know and bring some in for others to try and bring home if they want them.

Travis
04/04/2006, 11:30 AM
I have some I can bring to prop. I've propped shrooms several times in the past.

hoover86
04/04/2006, 03:27 PM
I know this may not be a point of intrest for many since most have done this many times, but I have no clue where to start with plumbing for my new 125 I'm getting. I have never worked with PVC or sumps so I'm pretty much clueless with it. I am also looking to do a closed loop with my Mag18 but don't really know all the specifics about how I should set it up (do I drill the tank for the intake or just have it hanging over the back, if so where, all that good stuff) and I'll be doing this probably towards the end of the month so I'd like to have a good handle on it by then.....

Tat2demon
04/04/2006, 03:30 PM
Josh, not to take away from any meeting plans, but I was thinking you and I may be a huge help to each other. Neither of us have done this kind of thing before and we are both setting up the exact same tank. It may be a good idea to get together and brainstorm.

I am going to be building my stand on Sunday if youre not busy. :)

Nate

hoover86
04/04/2006, 07:29 PM
Yea, I hear ya, sent you a pm.