PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on stocking addition.

cruzer
04/18/2002, 04:51 PM
Hello all,

basics of current setup:

180 gal
150-200 lb of rock
DSB

Fish in the tank now:
Yellowtail wrasse (coris gaimard) in the middle of color change. about 4"

Assasi Trigger (Rhinecanthus assasi) about 5-6".

Bluechin Trigger (Xanthichthys auromarginatus) about 6-7"

Porky Puffer (Diodon holocanthus) about 7-8"

Additions I would like to make:
Scimitar Trigger/Whiteline (Sufflamen bursa) 4-5"

And a drum roll please!!!!!
The king of fish IMHO,

Sohal tang (Acanthurus sohal) 4-5"

I have had the Sohal in mind throughout the tank set up. I am now worried that he may not play nice with the other fish that I have. The tank now does not display any aggression. I am a little worried about the Whiteline and Assasi fighting also.

What do you all think.

Rob,

T-T-Trigger
04/19/2002, 12:37 PM
Cruzer, you crazy man! I just read up some on the Sohal since I didn't know anything about it before.

I know you've probably got "reef fishes" by SM, but I'll put his comments here: "In the wild it will attack parrotfishes and triggerfishes." That fish has some huge cajones! Also "It is not uncommon for this terror to kill its rivals in captivity." NOT UNCOMMON!

Sure is a beauty, and I definitely love fish with attitude, but this one just might have a little too much hootzpah, and upset that aggression-less tank of yours.

of course ymmv,
Chris

cruzer
04/19/2002, 12:51 PM
Thank's for the response,

Of course not what I want to hear. The more I look into it the more I doubt it would work. These fish are always available and people buy them, what are they keeping them with?:(

Rob,

T-T-Trigger
04/19/2002, 04:17 PM
I would suppose fish that would not challenge their "king of the tank" status would be the best tankmates. Certainly other tangs would be bad, maybe puffers and triggers would be ok, large hawks, lions, groupers, wrasses (?), are all likely candidates. I have no angel experience, but maybe one of the larger angels? I just saw a 7" dragon wrasse that had been all but destroyed in just a day or two by a 4-5" emperor angel. :eek1: yikes, those angels are tough!

Let us know, of course!

cruzer
04/19/2002, 04:29 PM
I think I am going to add the Scimitar Trigger/Whiteline (Sufflamen bursa) 4-5" this weekend. Then I will take a while and think about any other aditions.

Thanks Rob,

Wolverine
04/20/2002, 12:52 PM
You might run into trouble with adding anymore fish to that tank after the scimitar is in there. If I remember right, Scott Michael's recommends this being the last fish in the tank.

Dave