PDA

View Full Version : ebay auction - float switches - anyone want to split shipping/handling charges

jurisnipper
04/18/2002, 01:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2018101516&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

This is the same float switch Bob (idahobob) uses in his top-off.

I know it is not a perfect switch, but it will work.

I might get two, one for top off and one for emergency shut off of my sump pump.

Shipping is $3.00 for the first one and $.75 for each additional one.

Let me know if you'd be interested in going in on some with me.

jurisnipper

kgross
04/18/2002, 03:12 PM
Steve,

If you could get 2 for me that would be great. I need one for my AC drain system and I might just play with one for a kalk system on my non calcium reactor system.

Kim

dougchambers
04/18/2002, 11:01 PM
Just as an FYI - I have two of these switches in-series for my return pump system. One is for a high-high level in the tank and the other one is for a low-low sump level. If either one opens up, the return pump shuts off.

The only negative thing about these switches in my experience is in the normally open position with the wire leads pointed up. You can change the operation of the switch from Normally Closed (NC) to Normally Open (NO) by flipping the float. I found that with the float switched the switch doesn't close at the top of the stop. It is actually just shy of the physical stop. You can get around it by leaving the float in it's NC position and just invert it so the wires point down. Works great...

My $0.02

clutchcargo
04/18/2002, 11:10 PM
doug,
you don't have to turn the entire switch to reverse the NO/NC orientation, just the float part. The wires will always come from the top.

The only problem I see with these particular switches is that it looks like there's a metal clip in the bottom. I could be wrong though.
C

clutchcargo
04/18/2002, 11:16 PM
Oops sorry, I didn't see that this was Reef Club Forum that I responded to. Out of my jurisdiction.
C

dougchambers
04/18/2002, 11:24 PM
C -

Not a problem. We typically aren't too strict with our group from what I've seen. But then I'm a relative newbie...

I tried just flipping the float and it didn't make contact correctly. It needed to stop just short of the stroke for the correct contact closure.

Doug

clutchcargo
04/18/2002, 11:32 PM
I guess I shouldn't make blanket statements.
I got mine from McMaster.com and like I said all I had to do was flip the float to reverse orientation. Of course, after I reread your post, you clearly said that.
C

heedicus
04/19/2002, 12:25 AM
hello all,
i would be into getting one two. but just to get this straight=) can i use it so if the level in the sump gets too high it will hit the float switch and turn off my pump? that would be the last peice i have been looking for to finally have my sump up and running=)
so if that is true i would love to go in for one.
thanks
tren

Idaho Bob
04/19/2002, 10:05 AM
The one I just recently set up has the wire leads pointing up, so they are out of the water unless I turn off the return pump. The switch is connected to a small pump in a tank of top off water. I add chemicals to the top off water tank. When the sump drops down from evaporation, the switch clicks on and the small pump sends about a cup or two of water to the sump.

I have the switch mounted on an "L" bracket of acrylic, and I put a plastic bell over the float, to keep snails out. The float does have a metal clip on it. It appears to be stainless, but I'll keep my eye on it.

My aquarium is in my office, and this lets me go the weekend without having to come to the office to add top off water. So far, its worked with no problems.

The switch is a 50 W switch, so I just wired the switch to control an extension cord, and plugged my 5 W pump into the extension cord. To control a larger pump, you would need a relay.

heedicus
04/19/2002, 12:51 PM
so would i have to put a relay on the end of the wire out of the float switch? i am just trying to get some control for my return pump out of the sump so that if the siphon breaks when the water reaches a certain level the pump will turn off instead of just running dry.

so
thanks
tren

Idaho Bob
04/19/2002, 01:28 PM
If your return pump is more than 50 watts, you can't control it directly with the float switch. You have to make a little relay. There are directions on how to do so on Reef Central. Once wired up, it would do exactly as you say.

heedicus
04/19/2002, 03:54 PM
SWEET!
thanks idahobob!
i will take one two then whenever the order goes out!
alas the final piece of the puzzle has fallen into place=)
thanks
tren long

jurisnipper
04/19/2002, 04:10 PM
Just post your orders here and I'll send you and email next week with info on what shipping is going to be per float, etc.

I am thinking about ordering them Monday or Tuesday. SMN