PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Motions users?

jimmyleg
03/19/2006, 09:56 AM
Looking at using an Oceans Motions device on my new tank on a closed loop.

I haven't found much negative in the forums, wondering if anybody local is using one? If so, how long and how's it working out?

DrBDC
03/19/2006, 10:05 AM
If I remember right caesura(sp?) has one.

maxxII
03/19/2006, 10:10 PM
I've got one and had it running for over a year now.

Working out okay.....I've had one issue with it that has been remedied...

Paul's Customer service is fantastic.

Long story short on my unit:

OM 4 way unit, with version 1 drum (ports firing 1,2,3,4 switching every 15 seconds.) Flow is powered by an Iwaki MD55-RLT pushing about 1k gph through 4 Loc-line Y's, ending up with 8 outlets. 2 per drum outlet...

At the 10-11 month mark, (currently at 15 months operation), I observed the unit was no longer switching current from one outlet to the next.

I have a BB system and was dripping Kalk. My unit was driven by a 1 rpm motor connected to the drum via a nylon driveshaft. In the event the drum bound up, the motor would overpower the nylon driveshaft and strip it out.....thereby saving the motor from burning out, and not adding stress to the drum or its housing potentially causing it to crack and leak.

My drum got bound up with some sort of mineral deposit. Paul theorizes magnesium as opposed to calcium build up since he's had this happen once before and vinegar didnt show a reaction, (bublling and fizzing as it dissolves the calcium). It didnt do this on mine either...

Because I have a BB system, Paul sent me a drum w/ tighter than normal tolerances. For a substrate bottom, Paul used to send out a drum with looser tolerances. As I understand it, thats all he sends out now.

When I contacted Paul, he offered to send me a brand new nylon driveshaft immediately, free of charge, and a new drum, or I could pay for an unpgrade to a new magnetic drive he had developed with replaced the nylon driveshaft system I had. I went with the mag drive system when he explained it to me...

The mag drive system couples the 1 rpm motor with the rotating drum. If for some reason the drum binds up, the mag drive actually produces a loud click as the magnets in the system attempt to turn and switch polarity. There is no damage to anything when this happens. Its just your audible cue to see what the problem is.

If you decide to order one, I would suggest a couple of things:

1: order the drum housing with larger outlets than you need. Its easier to buy reducers down to the size you need and still have the flexibility to upgrade/change pumps if you decide to later. I ahve to buy a whole new drum housing as well as a new pump if I want to run something with more than a 1 inch inlet/outlet size.

2...buy a second rotating drum. This way, if yours get bound up you can just pop in the new one, (once you get the old one out) and get the system running again with minimal fuss. This will allow you to work on the drum that binds at your leisure.

3...buy the mag drive. Its worth it and you wont have to sweat getting nylon driveshafts mailed out to you at a later date should something happen.

Nick