PDA

View Full Version : This dwarf lion is always hiding, I need another fish! ....

Newreeflady
04/17/2002, 07:22 PM
I love the little guy, but he is always under the rocks and matched perfectly, you have to really search for him at times. I want to add something else to this tank after a while, what would be a good tankmate for a dwarf lion that DOES NOT hide? I want a fish that is not shy. How about dwarf angels, are they colorful, are they shy, would they make okay tankmates. The lion is still small at this point, his body is about 3" long. At this point there is just a green chromis in there with him, I plan on moving the chromis out to my 10g once it is setup. So, tankmate for a dwarf fuzzy lion in a 30g tall with live rock?

Thanks!
Angela.

FMarini
04/17/2002, 08:25 PM
Angela:
surprise......
Liosn hide alot. do you have alot of lightng on this tank? if so this might be causeing the lion to remian hidden. Also this fish is real small so its scared, they get more bold as they get bigger.
A tankmate for a dwarf lion, how about a wrasse of some type, actually a small harlequin tusk (he'll outgrow this tank in 1yr) would be cool. problem is, this is a fairly small tank
frank

Newreeflady
04/17/2002, 09:07 PM
Oh, ha ha, Frank:D So, when he gets bigger he'll come out more? What is he scared of, there isn't anything larger in there?. The lighting is low, only 40w of NO flourescent over the 30g tank. Just enough to sustain macro and shrooms, really. I have a leopard wrasse in my 65, i'm hoping to get something I don't yet have. I guess I could wait it out if he will start showing himself more when he gets larger. I have only been feeding every other day, should I kick it up, I am ready to see him already?! Cyano seems to be gone, whew, I scooped it all out and haven't seen it growing back since Friday. I also did a water change and vaccum.

Thanks!
Angela.

T-T-Trigger
04/17/2002, 11:21 PM
If you feed him/her/it a little less it will probably come out more, especially around predictable feeding times, mine always seems to come out right before dinner, like it knows what time it is!

Also depends on the individual I would guess. I tried to introduce a second one but the established was relentless with it and it hid. I didn't see it for two days (and I was looking hard). Finally I went in and got it out into another tank. Now for some reason this fish has NO fear, swims around in the open all day, looks me right in the eye, and is just awesome. It is also around three inches like yours, my established one is nearing five inches but still hibernates all day until feeding time. I had the new one in a 20g Q with a small antenneta, now they are both in the 50g with a juvenile trigger (see sig. pic), and it STILL swims in the open all day.

Long story, I know, but maybe you enjoyed it,
Chris:)

T-T-Trigger
04/17/2002, 11:21 PM
sorry, double post, :o

mst_RoadRash
04/18/2002, 11:58 AM
Some of the pygmy angels might work. I'm not sure about the size of the tank though.

Some of them are very active... shy if you get too close to the tank but other than that, VERY active.

daveR

Newreeflady
04/18/2002, 07:11 PM
T-T, so what do you suggest I do exactly? I want this guy to come out more. I guess switching over to a planned a.m. feeding around the same time each day with only very little food might help. Moving him is not an option. Moving rocks around, that's an option, do you think that might help. As of now there is a large cave formed by two rocks joined at the tips, that is in the middle, and there are small rocks every where around them on the ground. He is constantly underneath the cave rocks, looks like he's part of the rock, he stays with his belly to the rock, so is kinda upside down. Urrg, I want him to come out and play, my guests don't get to see how cool he is:*(

Angela.

T-T-Trigger
04/19/2002, 12:17 AM
My experience is limited to these two individuals. But what I would try is:

Play with his food habits a bit. From recent reading I believe the dwarf species are more of a daily feeder than the larger Pterois spp. , which eat larger less frequent meals. Try feeding smaller amounts (like one nice mouthful) later in the evenings, every night, maybe skip a night twice a week. Of course I have no idea what you are feeding now! :) Hopefully this will bring him out in the evening viewing hours. Also, don't just drop the food in, make him come out and get it! After he is lured out wait a little while longer, then feed.

It won't change his personality but will hopefully get him into the open more. I think it's the rare one that swims openly, so even changing specimens wouldn't hold much promise.

my .02, hth

Ps- At three inches they should still chase live brine, that is so much fun to watch, give it a try - should make him/her happy too!