PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chelsey Dog!!!

Nanook
03/16/2006, 03:42 PM
Well, we finally had to put our little beagle-poodle mix to sleep today. She has been dying for a few weeks and while we hoped she would just die in her sleep, we had to break down and take her to the vet. Her breathing worsened and she hadn't eaten since Sunday. She hadn't even drank much water the last couple of days. She is in a better place now we like to think.

Ann bought her as the runt of the litter about 17 years and 3 months ago. She out-lived all of her siblings, ate pizza, ate hamburgers, ate biscuits covered in ants and ate anything I ate...she also had her share of beer from time to time. Her favorite things in life were balls, pizza, playing outside and following me around wherever I went.

We are going to miss her a lot, but are relieved that she is finally in peace.

We also got a new puppy on Tuesday evening, a 19.1lb black and tank Tibetan Mastiff. We got him from a breeder in Lebanon, MO. He has a minor intestinal and upper resp infection for which he is on oral antibiotics...his left eye also has conjunctivitis. We are going to doctor him up right quick and get him going. It is good to have another dog to help ease the loneliness since Chelsey is gone.

Just wanted to share what has been happening in our family.

Dave

Shooter7
03/16/2006, 03:48 PM
Really sorry to hear that Dave. I have a dog who is getting on in years herself, she was 13 this past Christmas. Adopted her from the APA when she was a puppy and I had my former wife. One wife, a fiance, several girlfriends and assorted encounters, a current wife, and several cars later and she's still around. She's been a great dog and so I can empathize for what your loss has been here. May she find lots of fun times running through the fields, chasing balls on the other side. :)

Letmegrow
03/16/2006, 03:49 PM
I am sorry for your loss, and happy for your gain.

Hopefully in years to come I would be ready to put my doggie down when that time comes, Thats probly one of the hardest things to go through, short of any major tradgity. (for me atleast).

What is your new dogs name ??

P.S. I would fallow you around all the time if I knew you dropped pizza where ever you went.

fade32
03/16/2006, 03:56 PM
I put my cat to sleep on val-day so I fell your pain.

sirreal63
03/16/2006, 04:00 PM
I am sorry to hear that Dave...but I knew it wouldn't be long after seeing her last night. You did the right thing. The new puppy is a cutie and will bring many years of happiness to you and Ann.

saltyunderground
03/16/2006, 04:01 PM
Chelsey was a sweet dog. You gave her a great life.

Your new dog will be almost big enough to give you a kiss on the mouth without you having to bend over.

We adopted our German Shepherd at 6 weeks old and very sick. I'm convinced she would have died had we not taken her. We had many trips to the vet. But she's worth every penny to us.

Dert42
03/16/2006, 04:05 PM
my dog sparky was loosing to cancer a couple months ago and i had to have her put down. i feel your pain. :(

Mrs. Slide_Ice
03/16/2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry for your loss, its sounds like she was a great dog and friend. I know she's in a better place now. I hate to think that one day I'll have to make the same decision with our babies, Maddie and Gabbie (black toy poodles). Hopefully your new dog will help you both cope, I know it hard to lose a beloved pet.

It sounds like your puppy is pretty big already, good luck with getting him all healed up and healthy.

Jenny

Reefer Wannabe
03/16/2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear that. That's never easy. We had to do that almost exactly 2 years ago with our golden.

Our husky died in my arms last June at exactly the time I was scheduled to take him in to put him down.

:(

drgabe
03/16/2006, 04:23 PM
:( for Chelesy, and :) for the new guy on the block.

Do you have a name for him yet?

capncapo
03/16/2006, 05:24 PM
I'm glad that Ann was able to finally make the dreaded decision. It's one of the hardest things to do in life.

I believe the puppys name is Bogie.

Letmegrow
03/16/2006, 05:26 PM
Like Humphrey ?

capncapo
03/16/2006, 05:27 PM
Yes....

TooFar2Sea
03/16/2006, 06:22 PM
Rainbow Bridge (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm)

Nanook
03/16/2006, 07:13 PM
Thank you so much everyone for their comments and well-wishes. It means a lot to Ann and I both...it is really great to have such nice friends in this hobby. That Rainbow Bridge always brings a tear or two to my eyes.

Our new puppy, Bogie, after Humphrey Bogart for his kind of sad, expressive eyes and tough demeanor is very sweet. He needs a couple weeks of TLC and then I am hoping he will be feeling a little better. It is great to know that people here are so supportive.

Dave:)

ramtheory
03/16/2006, 07:42 PM
Today was the day sorry to hear that Dave. From what I have heard and seen that dog had a great life. Sucks they don't live as long as us they are truly friends. Good Luck with Bogie from the size of his paws you have a monster on your hands. Hopefully you won't have to nick name him dozer like my dads dog. Likes to plow right threw everything. :lol:

crny1
03/16/2006, 09:56 PM
I have a feeling you are gonna love BOGI..... Sorry to hear you had to put your other dog down. We have a 2 yr old English Mastif (170+pounds) that is like my 4th kid. She does everything with us and am going to hate the day i have to put her down. It will devastate my 3 boys!

Wes

zt444a
03/17/2006, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, but it sounds like the new addition will be in a happy home.

We had to put our little Ingird to sleep not long ago, as she had liver cancer, she was almost 17. It was like losing a child. Pour lots of love into your new doggie... It won't make your loss go away, but will lessen the pain and make for a great new beginning.

Lost His Marbles Name
03/17/2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry here about her Dave. I at least got to see here the day before she pasted. As long as you were on the same diet as her you will live longer to eating pizza, mexican, MceD's,beer, biscuits and ant's.
Good luck with the new fluffy one. Get some pics on here with the new puppy.